Apten Cooling Mod... How many have it??

Do you have the Apten cooling mod??

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
The LDC kit is available but currently Ford has backorderd parts that we need.
The parts are just starting to arrive again so more should be available soon.

Here is the thread for more info:

LDC Cooling Mod Info

Dana

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Linn@AmazonRacing said:
the only time I see anyone doing this mod is when they have the trans out...it is a good time to do this since you have to have the trans out to do it..that is probably why you dont see much about it..we did this to our 03 and it really is something beneficial if you are going to run higher boost.

Linn I had True Blue do mine during the 26 spline clutch ordeal. I got the LCD or LDC (I forget)piece and Dan Wagner at TB loved the ease of install, he has seen 30 degree temps decreases on their SCCA track cars! I have done a couple cooling mods to include putting my higher flowing injectors on the 7-8 cylinders. I'm getting new heads and cams in a couple weeks and the NC boys will be at it again. I'd hate to kill this motor but I'm one of those 600hp wierdos so it's just a matter of time for a built motor!

micah2003svt

Banned
I have the LCD mod but didnt install it due to the fact that i'm doing some major modifications to my car, but I will be adding the LCD cooling mod.

Z06KILR

Established Member
I didnt buy the apten mod...i made my own...i just bought another outlet for the head from a ford dealer, cut off the flange, re-angled it, and used some elbows/hose....interestingly enough the GT heads have neither freeze plugs removed for cooling....

headcoolingmod.jpg

BLK_03

Established Member
Anyone trying to save a little $$$ on this mod by ordering the parts from Ford and bending the EGR to fit, I have some advice...

DON'T!!!

I was one of the first to install the Apten cooling mod, and it was installed by the Ford mechanic who invented the mod and worked closely with Apten, when Apten was here in St. Louis. Turns out, the crossover tube connecting the drivers side and passenger side coolant stacks was resting AGAINST OR VERY CLOSE to the EGR. Even with the insulation on the EGR, and romex sleeve on the coolant hose, the heat caused a crack in the hose. I fought a cooloant leak in the car for about 20K miles. I had the car into the dealership multiple times for the leak. They changed the thermostat, burped the system several times, until I finally got fed up and decided to find the problem myself. I decided I was due for a new clutch as well, so I went after the coolant leak at the same time.

As soon as the tranny was out, I immediately saw the problem. The coolant crossover tube had an obvious crack (from heat) in it when I moved it around. When I diagnosed the problem, I knew the EGR needed to be bent more for more clearance. I bent the living fock out of it with a jack handle and breaker bar/ pipe on the end while it was connected in the car. I was trying to create more clearance between the EGR and the coolant stack on the drivers side.

I then pulled the tube out, and tried bending the living fock out of it in a vice. Test fitted back into the car, still not enough clearance.

PUlled EGR tube back out, beat the living fock out of it with a hammer.

Reinstalled and cranked on it a little more with the jack handle and breaker bar... Still not enough room.

Pulled it out again and drove over the mother focker with a truck (kidding of course..). That finally got me the clearance I needed.

Bending the EGR is a royal PITA, and anyone teeder/toddering between saving a little $$$ and buying the LDC mod, should call LDC immediately!!! After looking at pics of the LDC mod on the motor, it is very apparent that LDC has done a good job keeping the coolant crossover tube away from the extreme heat of the EGR... SOMETHING I HAVE FOUND THAT IS KEY IN THE LONGEVITY OF THIS MODIFICATION.

Cliff notes: Unless you are deleting the EGR, the LDC mod is the ONLY option unless you want to remove your tranny avery 5-10K miles to replace that coolant crossover hose...

Here are a few pics showing the nice little coolant shower the undercarriage got to receive nearly every time I drove the car...

Picture010.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Old thread that was revived by someone using the poll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread