Anything higher than 83% Ethanol is now illegal?

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
So I heard that a federal law took effect in January that says anything higher than 83% blend ethanol fuels are now illegal.

True or False?

If that's true - are they going to rename is E83 since E85 is illegal... ridiculous.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Well, if that's the case....I'm running around with a tank full of illegal right now. I filled up a couple weeks ago and it was near E86. This is a high volume station in the Houston area.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Running out of corn probably. Had to come up with a semi realistic reason to cut down on it.

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
yeah so check this out:

"Effective July 14, 2016, the regulation also applies to ethanol flex fuels, which are defined as a mixture of gasoline and ethanol containing more than 10% but less than 83% ethanol by volume. For ethanol blends containing no greater than 50% ethanol by volume, retailers must post the exact percentage of ethanol concentration, rounded to the nearest multiple of 10. For ethanol blends containing more than 50% but no greater than 83% ethanol by volume, retailers must post the exact percentage of ethanol concentration, round to the nearest multiple of 10, or indicate that the fuel contains 51% to 83% ethanol."

from http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/laws/ETH/US

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Well, at least maybe it will be more accurate now. I've seen stuff come out of an e85 pump that ranged from 15% on up.

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
Agreed, I only trusted one gas station that was consistently pumping 85-87% and now they are out

Turbo900rr

Established Member
yeah so check this out:

"Effective July 14, 2016, the regulation also applies to ethanol flex fuels, which are defined as a mixture of gasoline and ethanol containing more than 10% but less than 83% ethanol by volume. For ethanol blends containing no greater than 50% ethanol by volume, retailers must post the exact percentage of ethanol concentration, rounded to the nearest multiple of 10. For ethanol blends containing more than 50% but no greater than 83% ethanol by volume, retailers must post the exact percentage of ethanol concentration, round to the nearest multiple of 10, or indicate that the fuel contains 51% to 83% ethanol."

from http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/laws/ETH/US

Your reading that wrong. Read the last sentence. Long story short. It will actually let you know what ethanol content you are putting in your tank to the nearest 10%. So instead of winter blends screwing with your tune, because you think you are pumping e-85 you are actually running e50. It just means the retailer has to pay attention to what he is selling and post it properly at the pumps.

Users who are viewing this thread