Anyone work for Norfolk Southern?

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
About to start a new career with NS here soon. I've heard a lot of good and bad about them, but that's every job. Seeing if I could find a few more opinions that people have. Appreciate it.

Zemedici

Established Member
Jealous - i've applied there three times, with current employee referrals, to no avail. How bad was the interview / hiring process?

I've got a couple buddies that work for NS and they love it.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
The first time I applied was for Conductor. The test was really easy and I was selected for the interview. Interview was pretty easy and the first guy asked me “why Norfolk southern, can you work in bad weather, can you lift heavy items”, and so forth. The second guy (manager) looked at my resume and told me to apply for OST. And that was it.
Applied for OST MOW. Went to Atlanta for that. The interview process is almost the same. They asked if I had liable transportation, have I ever dealt with employees fighting, what I did do to resolve it, why NS, can I deal with a lot of moving, and a few other questions. And that was 1 of 2 interviews. The second one is almost the same questions. Nothing hard or weird.
Got the email (email=bad) which said that I didn’t get the job. But two weeks later, the HR person I talked to in Atlanta during the first interview told me that she was sorry about MOW but I did great on my interview. Wanted to know if I would like to do Transportation. Told her yes and then went back to Atlanta for that interview process. Still pretty easy.
But I noticed for any job that they have openings for, if you stress about safety or how you worked in austere conditions, Managed or lead personnel, don’t mind moving at all…they will love you.
I think the Military background, with some additional duties in safety, helped me a lot.

Hardest part was probably the medical check. If you mention a surgery from 11 years ago or that you might have slight lower back pain.....jumping through hoops to get cleared. Background check was pretty cake. Sux that I had to drive 4 hours one way for 10 mins of paperwork to fill out.

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
I started there in 07 in the Track Dept. About 3 years and two territory's later, I bounced.

Good place to work, hours can be nuts at times, but the work was very rewarding overall.

Railroading is a completely different culture from what most have experienced.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
I've been told that too. But when they break it down, it's nothing that I haven't done in the military. BS boss or people, crazy or long hours, on call 24/7, miss holidays or birthdays, away from family....done it all. But if I can suck it up and retire from the military, I can suck this one up too.
Unless the wife gets a badazz job after she's done wither Masters. Then I'll just stay home and live off her pay and my retirement.

Users who are viewing this thread