Anyone Using Pro Flex Commander Flex System by Advanced Fuel Dynamics?

Mulholland Man

Established Member
I've been looking at various options for a flex fuel setup on my engine rebuild. Not looking to make more than 800WHP at least for the foreseeable future. Didn't want to be committed to running E85 ALL the time due to limited supply in my area, etc. Also was concerned about variation in Octane rating from pump to pump. This system was apparently established by a California Tuner and allows "real time" tune adjustment and piggy backs on top of your existing performance tune. Its plug and play as well and looks pretty easy to install. Company is based out of Texas but owner is from CA. I spoke with one of their reps. I asked him if its CARB legal. He said, its "Not subject to/Exempt" from CARB regulation. I am still a bit suspect on that claim. My understanding is that any Flex fuel conversion system must be certified by CARB. He says he's got tons of guys in CA using it and passing smog without issue (Smogging while running E85). Love to know if anyone is familar with this product and also if anyone has any answers on the issues posed above.

upload_2020-10-14_14-52-3.png

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I don't think any flex fuel conversions are legal in Cali for whatever reason. I've been reading on a GTR forum where some guys have removed the flex fuel set up to pass smog.

That being said if the components are hidden and all the monitors are set I don't see where you'd have an issue passing smog. Just find a shop that doesn't mind the smell of ethanol.

Last edited:

Mulholland Man

Established Member
I don't think any flex fuel conversions are legal in Cali for whatever reason. I've been reading on a GTR forum where some guys have removed the flex fuel set up to pass smog.

That being said if the components are hidden and all the monitors are set I don't see any you'd have an issue passing smog. Just find a shop that doesn't mind the smell of ethanol.
I think you are correct about CARB and tuning, etc. that part is what it is.

I note that over the past 4 years or so there are several GT350 owners using this system (its discussed on other mustang forums) to varying degrees of success in terms of net power gain using the system and running E85. Not surprising that gains are modest on the 350 because its Naturally Aspirated. That said, wondering why there does not seem to be any 500 owners running a "Flex Fuel SYSTEM" like this that allows for real time tune ajustments to AF trim based on what comes out of the pump. Given that E85 can vary between E40 and E80 with a scary amount of potential difference in Octane rating, I am personally hesitant to run E85 without a system like this that can make tune adjustments for pump fuel variations on the fly. That's why I asked to see if anyone had any experience with a system like this one. Conversely, if people aren't running these systems, why not? There are a lot of people running E85. Are you guys not concerned about getting a bad batch of ethanol and potentially blowing your motor? I spoke with a rep from Accufab who advised that he sees lots of blown motors running E85. Said, that its a problem. He's obviously a racing fuel fan and everyone has their preferences. I know that no matter what fuel you run you can always get detonation and that octane varies. Racing fuel that said, seems to be far more reliable in terms of consistent octane than pump gas or E85, but E85 is cheap comparatively speaking to race gas. I guess the question really is, how does one safely run E85 (Safely being a "relative" term). I guess you could run E85 and supplement it by sprating meth for protection against detonation. Anyone doing that? Any feedback would be appreciated. As I'm about to drop a lot of money on a new Small block after blowing my stock motor on pump gas, I'd like to not be a repeat offender.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I don't think I have the exact answer you're looking for. I switched to a stand alone with flex fuel capability. Mostly because I drive mine a lot and don't always have access to to E85.

I'd be curious to know what the circumstances were behind the blown engines. There's usually more to the story.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Don't waste ur time with that non-sense. There is a reason 100% of ur fast cars get a custom Tune from Lund, PBD, AEM, Sai Li, etc......

And no im not concerned about getting bad E85 cause I test it. It take 5 seconds! That is not a TUNE for ur car. It simply gives u a flex fuel option like any car with a flex fuel emblem. I think ur confused.

Spaying meth simply lowers ur IAT's and has nothing to do with a safe tune. U dont just "Run" E85 and get the benefits of E85. U have to be tuned to it from a reputable tuner and if ur gonna rely on this program to read the proper Ethanol content and mix pump gas with it or bad E85 then suddenly fix it then ur dreaming!

U need a dedicated Stand Alone like AEM to work properly with flex fuel tunes. But if want it for E85 cause its cheaper to run then I guess so but I wouldn't relay on some cheesy program to do that with my motor but two each his own......

Conversely, if people aren't running these systems, why not? There are a lot of people running E85. Are you guys not concerned about getting a bad batch of ethanol and potentially blowing your motor?

Snake Eyes

Established Member
You don't run one tune regardless of ethanol content. You have a number of tunes for different content levels and the proflex fills those gaps. The tunes become more about spark advance at that point but its nice to know that if you have a tune in for E54 which we get here in Arizona (flex fuel is 54-85 here), but you get a mix closer to 65 you aren't going to run lean.

Users who are viewing this thread