Anyone used one piece rear main seal?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Looks like my rear main seal is dripping. Ug so pulling transmission to swap that out. Local auto parts stores have a one piece design. Anyone used this? Any luck? I don't really want to wait on shipping from Ford to get the two piece seal and oil slinger setup.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I never had a slinger on my BB set up. My original engine didn't have one. I never had a problem with leaks from the rear main.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Well I got everything pulled to expose the rear main seal and it's definitely the source of the leak. I got it pulled and the seal looks perfect. I can't see any tears, marks or anything that shows signs of a leak. It only has about 1000 miles on it. I looked closer and its so hard to tell but I think the leak was between the seal and the housing and not the seal and the crank.

I got to chatting with the boy about it and I do remember when he originally installed it he knocked it down to far so he knocked it all the way through and re-knocked it in. I'm wondering if that wore away that rubbery outside sealer and so that was leaking. I think the replacement seal will go in with a film of silicon on the circumference to ensure no leaks between the seal and the housing that holds it.

MG0h3

Established Member
were sure there isnt some slight difference with the Tekskid block from factory cast?

Ive used a light film of Ultra Black when Im doing aftermarket stuff. Nothing ever seems to fit right like factory. Biggest pet peeve is the leaky after market oil pan!

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I got the main seal from mmr 190 bucks. it better not leak.lol hope it works out.

We talking about the rear main seal right? $190? It was $15 at the local auto parts store lol.

were sure there isnt some slight difference with the Tekskid block from factory cast?

Ive used a light film of Ultra Black when Im doing aftermarket stuff. Nothing ever seems to fit right like factory. Biggest pet peeve is the leaky after market oil pan!

Not that I know of. Looks to be correct. I can see the replacement seal I got has nice thick rubber ribs on the outside that would seal really well compare to the original Ford one I put in was practically smooth on the outside. That's pretty much my fault. I should have had the boy put silicon on that factory one now comparing it to the felpro. I'm going to put a film of silicon on this felpro anyways because pulling transmissions for this sucks.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Yeah it looks to be better than the OEM Ford unit to be honest. I'll just re-install my factory oil slinger too. It appears to be nothing more than a dust shield and it's new and clean anyways.

fr03cobra

Established Member
yea well the plate too.

mustang009.jpg

fr03cobra

Established Member
used it during new boss block build did not reuse any items off the old engine except the oil cooler and supercharger accessories

MalcolmV8

Established Member

BTW I double checked this today before installing the seal and prior model years like 97 Cobras that had a Teksid block take the exact same part # for rear main seal as 03 Cobra. At least in Felpro gaskets.

Users who are viewing this thread