Anyone Use an Oil Change Flush Product???

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I used this Berryman's 1216 on a new-used Jeep I picked up a while back during the last oil change. The engine had about 130,000 miles on it and there was some visible sludge/build-up in the oil system. Since I needed to do an oil change anyway I decided to pour a can of the Berryman's stuff in. Based on a visual inspection and a little research I'd say it's basically a can of diesel fuel with a big does of calcium based detergent mixed in. I pretty much followed the instructions, but let it run a bit longer than recommended.

Once I drained the oil it was obvious this stuff actually works. You could see the particular matter in the oil and the filter had a bunch in it. I'm a bit concerned that this stuff could break a chunk of something loose and it winding up in a small passage or scoring a bearing. However, on something like this Jeep I figured the risk is worth the reward. The biggest thing I was after was to quieten down the lash adjusters on start up, and it did that. They are basically tiny hydraulic lifters and a very small amount of buildup can effect their function. I'd say after one use of the oil flush I've obtained a 50% noise reduction. I plan on using this stuff on the next several oil changes on this Jeep going forward.

Side Note - If you just use a decent oil and change it at a reasonable interval you should never have to use this product.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I used Marvel Mystery Oil in my '03 Silverado a few years back. The engine (4.8L) had started ticking, so I was hoping for the best. I dumped in a quart bottle of MMO and drove for about a month (~500 miles).... that was a mistake, haha. It loosened up so much crud, I had to use coat hanger in the drain hole to get all the sludge out. I was lucky I didn't plug up the oil pump.

I used MMO (more carefully) a couple of times after that, and all the ticking disappeared. I'm still driving the truck, almost 20 years old and it runs like new, smooth as silk..., heck, maybe better than new.... no AFM or DoD or trannies that can't find the right gear, etc...... 128k miles now.

I'm still using a little MMO in the gas on a regular basis.

Users who are viewing this thread