Anyone updated their SCT X4 recently????

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Just for shits and giggles I wanted to update my X4, so I connected it to my Device updater program and for some reason it tells me the server is not available.

The funny thing is I last updated my X4 about 3-4 months ago, the device updater showed me the same thing (server not available) so I ended up updating my X4 via wifi.

That took f-ing forever, that time there was like 600+ updates and I did them all, however that time I didn't put my stock tune file back into my car first when I did that update.

It was always bugging me whether I screwed up my X4 and the stock tune file doing an update via wifi so today before trying to update via the device updater program I did go out to the car to put the stock tune file back in. Lucky for me it did work and I was able to also place my Lund tune back into the car after a few tries to update the X4.

Anyone have issues with device updater when trying to update your X4?

Tony

Cman01

hello
Established Member
I've heard the old X3's had issues like that but never heard about that with the 4's.

96gt02

Established Member
Yup never update a good working sct device of any kind, also the most recent updates to the tune revisions took away all the emissions related user adjustable features on the older cars per the EPA stuff.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I updated mine recently because I as experiencing failures to download a tune. I used my laptop, but it's connected to the internet by wifi, but I do have a fast connection. It took a while but nothing I considered long. It didn't resolve my issue, but I've concluded that the issue is plugging the harness to the X4. If it doesn't download, I pull the connector and reattach and it's always worked after that. Since I tune my own car, I flash a lot of tunes.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
There are two trains of thought... either update it often (couple times a year) or never update it. If you wait too long between updates, you risk bricking the device temporarily while trying to update it, requiring SCT tech support to get you going again. I had this happen with my SCT X3. Always return your car to the stock tune before updating your device, just in case your update fails and you lose everything. Custom tune files can always be recovered from your Calibrator, but you would have to tow your car to a Dealer to recover your stock tune file. Make sure Device Updater program is the most current version, then connect and automatically update your device. I had to update my X4 because SCT updated PIDS specific to my tune strategy so I could datalog them properly. Also, if your Calibrator loads tune files directly onto your device, they will likely update it... at least that has been my experience.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Went for a drive today after loading the Lund tune back into the car the other day...……………...no issues. X4 still good (thank god).

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
The X4 is a much more hearty device than the X3. It got to the point I would only do an update on the X3 except during hours I could access tech support... and have time to get through.

Willie

Established Member
I still use my x2 as an interface to my XP laptop when datalogging, lol.... 15 or so years now and still works well. "If it's not broke, don't fix it..."

Users who are viewing this thread