Anyone tried Coupe springs/shocks on a vert?

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Just wondering if anyone has tried using the coupe springs and shocks on their convertible to cut down on the wheel hop.

I'm not ready to dish out the money for the Amazon kit yet and thought this might be worth a try along with the Steeda bushings.

Went to the track last night and the colder it got, the worse the hop got. Thought for sure I was going break something on my last pass...either a half shaft or a tooth. :rollseyes

I can't get my 60ft times down because I can't launch above 1500 without turning into a jackrabbit. Yes, I've tried Nitto DR's and Hoosier track tires with the same results.

I'm going to post this in classifieds, but if any of you coupe guys changed springs/shocks, let me know if you want to sell your stockers.

B03Cobra

SVT G0D
Established Member
RaceRat, I had my SVT tech tell me if any stiffer springs were put on my vert it would shake it apart, since there is no extra support structure, dont know how true this is, but can totally see it. I am sure those KB subs ya have will cut down on that big time though.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by B03Cobra
RaceRat, I had my SVT tech tell me if any stiffer springs were put on my vert it would shake it apart, since there is no extra support structure, dont know how true this is, but can totally see it. I am sure those KB subs ya have will cut down on that big time though.
Thanks for the input...no offense meant to you whatsoever, but SVT Techs don't rate too high in my book!:D

I highly recommend getting some subframes on your vert. They make a world of difference! The car feels soooo much better on the road...a different car IMO.

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by racerat
SVT Techs don't rate too high in my book!:D

:bash: :bash: :bash:

Just wondering why? Bad expeariance? There are good ones.:beer:

SVTyballz

Established Member
I'm planning on 00R springs and shocks/struts and prolly the bushings from the Amazon anti-hop kit. That should get rid of most of the wheel hop. I want the 00R stuff cuz I plan on doing some auto-X and road course stuff. Running out of cash quickly though........this stuff will have to wait a few months. hehehe later.

gary

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by i8u
:bash: :bash: :bash:

Just wondering why? Bad expeariance? There are good ones.:beer:

Sorry...I didn't mean ALL SVT techs...just being a smartazz. I know there are good ones, just haven't been lucky enough to find one yet.

Yes...I've had a bad experience or two.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by jhwalker
The coupes are fighting wheelhop too, aren't they? I was thinking about replacing my vert stuff with the coupe stuff, but the more I have read in the other threads, the more it seems that the problems are deeper than spring rates and shock valving.

The coupes are hopping, just not as bad as the verts. I went to the track last night with SonterraSVT. I was hopping...he wasn't. Another friend with an 03 coupe gets a lot less hop than I do too.

Took a friend out for a drive in the Cobra today. It was about 65-70 degrees and sunny. For the life of me I couldn't get the car to hop. :shrug: :cuss:

03blackvert

Established Member
Coupe springs on a vert is a good step, but only if you've made the vert more stiff. Add subframe connectors, roll bar, strut tower brace, etc and the coupe springs are probably a good bet. Verts are at a disadvanate for performance, but I'll take that to cruse with the top down. :)

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
Yep I bought the vert understanding that there would be problems with structural rigidity. Usually money can solve most problems. Now, how do I get more money ?
;-)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread