Anyone take a random trip?

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
So I've wanted to do this for a few years and finally have a real opportunity should I choose to.

I've been wanting to ride my motorcycle/rent a motorcycle cross country and spend like a week just visiting random places. No real destination in mind just out on the road seeing places that I never have.

I found out about eagle rider so I could rent a bike in Atlanta and deliver it anywhere on the west coast and then fly back. A week would be just under $1k.

I'd really like to do it with my father as bikes have been his passion since he was a kid and he originally got me into it.

Anyone ever done anything similar? Where did you go? Where should I go?

oldmodman

Established Member
Back in the 70's I was bored on a weekend, so I loaded up my 1961 Ford Falcon Wagon (98hp with three on the tree) and drove up to Canada. I was gone five weeks. Had a great time. No pre planning at all.

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
A week isn't gonna be enough time to go cross country and get to stop and enjoy different places/sites. A better idea might be to fly out somewhere, rent a bike, and utilize the whole week.

Arizona would be a choice. You could start south by the border and work your way up to the Grand Canyon. Or you would be close to CA and the coast by San Diego. Ive done a lot of different states and Arizona was one of the best.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I do this quite often, but I use my plane. I enjoy day trips on the bike.

feel-like-a-sir-template.jpg

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
A week isn't gonna be enough time to go cross country and get to stop and enjoy different places/sites. A better idea might be to fly out somewhere, rent a bike, and utilize the whole week.

Arizona would be a choice. You could start south by the border and work your way up to the Grand Canyon. Or you would be close to CA and the coast by San Diego. Ive done a lot of different states and Arizona was one of the best.

We'd probably head more north.

The trip is more about the ride than actually seeing tourist-y places. We would start from Atlanta and probably finish at Denver; Jackson Hole, WY; or Salt Lake City.

I've always wanted to do that but do the route 66 thing

My dad used to drive trucks for a few years so he knows a lot of good routes. Route 66 wouldn't be a bad idea but we'll probably go north towards mountains.

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
That's sounds like an awesome idea Matt ESP having your father around. You need to take advantage of the opportunity because time flys so quickly.

Adam are you a pilot also? What type of aircraft do you own, and what system do you use to navigate.

Not trying to get off topic just curious, sounds interesting as well. Always had a passion for aircraft.

Last edited:

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
I like to head just north into OK, and hit up route 66. Its pretty fun.

SnakePitRacing

Big Nerd
Established Member
Have you ever been on a bike for more than 4 hrs at a time? Sounds better than it is. I once took a road trip by myself on my bike. Went to go see a car. Took PCH all the way down. Beautiful. In retrospect, nice trip, but in the hrs after the trip...monkey butt

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Have you ever been on a bike for more than 4 hrs at a time? Sounds better than it is. I once took a road trip by myself on my bike. Went to go see a car. Took PCH all the way down. Beautiful. In retrospect, nice trip, but in the hrs after the trip...monkey butt

I've been on my Busa for longer than 4 hours at a time.

Hence, why I would rent a different bike. Either a HD or maybe even a BMW. BMWs are great for long commutes.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Sounds like a great trip, but I'd imagine it'd have a major suck factor if you got caught up in a rain storm.

Do you live in Atlanta now?

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
So is a Ridley according to my 55 yr old neighbor who I don't see for days on end.

I've never been able to rent one and they don't rent them unfortunately.

Sounds like a great trip, but I'd imagine it'd have a major suck factor if you got caught up in a rain storm.

Do you live in Atlanta now?

Getting caught in the rain does suck, but if you have the right rain gear, it's not too bad. And you can always pull over and wait it out.

I live Huntsville, AL currently. Might be moving to Atlanta in the next month or two though. But the rental is through Harley Davidson in Atlanta.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
That's sounds like an awesome idea Matt ESP having your father around. You need to take advantage of the opportunity because time flys so quickly.

Adam are you a pilot also? What type of aircraft do you own, and what system do you use to navigate.

Not trying to get off topic just curious, sounds interesting as well. Always had a passion for aircraft.

Yes, I've had my pilot's license for quite some time. I have a Piper Saratoga Turbo PA-32R-301T. It has a new GTN725 and a 530.

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Yes, I've had my pilot's license for quite some time. I have a Piper Saratoga Turbo PA-32R-301T. It has a new GTN725 and a 530.

That's awesome Adam thanks for responding. Might drop you a few pm's in the future if you don't mind.

Users who are viewing this thread