Anyone switch to the GT500 from an L?

MixMaker

I've got a fever!!
Established Member
I've got a DSG '04 in immaculate condition fully built with a Whipple and it's a blast........but, I think I've been bit. I can't stop thinking about the Cobra and it's the only other vehicle ut at the moment that I'd even think about getting rid of the Lightning (that I can afford). I'm in touch with a dealership that has one now and I'm going to go by tomorrow to take a look and see what they'd offer for the L (I know, I know.......I won't get what I paid for the motor from them but it's just for shits and giggles).

Anyway, has anyone come from the Lightning platform to this? If so...any regrets?

Thanks guys!! :rockon:

MixMaker

I've got a fever!!
Established Member
$7500 markup due to "extreme demand". I can give details as to location of the car if anyone else is a little more interested than I am. :lol1:

Husky44

Established Member
$7500 markup due to "extreme demand". I can give details as to location of the car if anyone else is a little more interested than I am. :lol1:

That's nothing. Mine had $50k ADM on it. Did you make an offer? Most of these places will stick on the ADM for a little while, because they might just get it.

You can buy these cars for MSRP. Is it on the ground, or in the pipe? They get a little more interested in negotiating once they're paying the bill. And until you make an offer, you give them no reason to move off their silly number.

Jroc

Established Member
I went from a Terminator to a L. No regrets. I love my truck. I didn't buy it to be the fastest thing on the road.

I thought about trading my L for a new 5.0, but then I thought I would miss my bed and trailer hitch too much.

Nickoli

Established Member
I've had many mustangs in the past and currently still have 2006 Turbo GT. With that said, I sold my lightning and I am picking up my 13 Gt500 tomorrow! I honestly don't think I'll have any regrets. I loved the lightning but don't know if I'll ever look back after getting this new car

gr850

Established Member
I've got both. A 2002 L and a 2012 GT500 anyway. A 12 SVTPP/EPKG $57.7K MSRP for $48K. sorry, as bad ass as they are, I couldn't see paying the $20-25K+ more for a similar equipped 2013. I'm putting on a TVS for around $3K so I'll be in the 2013 zipcode for alot less GW's.

2002 Lightning. 3.4 whipple, built .020 over motor. 700+hp/800+tq. 12K original miles on it. For sale if interested.

If I had to pick between the two? No question......Shelby.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
I've got both. A 2002 L and a 2012 GT500 anyway. A 12 SVTPP/EPKG $57.7K MSRP for $48K. sorry, as bad ass as they are, I couldn't see paying the $20-25K+ more for a similar equipped 2013. I'm putting on a TVS for around $3K so I'll be in the 2013 zipcode for alot less GW's.

So you're going to put in a 5.8- a carbon drive shaft- adjustable suspension and steering- launch control-track aps....I could keep going. Will you still have your factory warranty? Don't care about warranty? That $3k in a '13 is a 725rwhp car.

Also...there is more like a $10k difference not a $20k difference. $58k buys you a '13 with SVTPP.

Having owned an early GT500 and a 13 GT500...there's a HUGE difference. That argument is getting a old.

OP- I owned an 01 lightning as well as an 03, 08, and 13 Cobra... I really miss my L...if I didn't drive 50k miles/ year I'd still have an L as my DD.

That being said...the 13 GT500 is an out of this world car.

Last edited:

gr850

Established Member
So you're going to put in a 5.8- a carbon drive shaft- adjustable suspension and steering- launch control-track aps....I could keep going. Oh yes and it's all under factory warranty. Don't care about warranty? That $3k in a '13 is a 725rwhp car.

Also...there is more like a $10k difference not a $20k difference. $58k buys you a '13 with SVTPP.

Having owned an early GT500 and a 13 GT500...there's a HUGE difference. That argument is getting a old.

OP- I owned an 01 lightning as well as an 03, 08, and 13 Cobra... I really miss my L...if I didn't drive 50k miles/ year I'd still have an L as my DD.

That being said...the 13 GT500 is an out of this world car.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I said same zipcode not the same garage. It boiled down to affordability. Drive a 2012 GT500 or not.......

As for price difference? Try and find a 13 for 9K under MSRP. If you haven't noticed, with ADM upwards to 20-25K for similar equpped car, not the same car. For some it may be worth it, for others not so.

Either way, no argument here. I'd bought the 13 if I was a man of your financial stature. I went with the most cost effective purchase available to me. Top dog was not my goal. I just want to run with the pack.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
As for price difference? Try and find a 13 for 9K under MSRP. If you haven't noticed, with ADM upwards to 20-25K for similar equpped car, not the same car. For some it may be worth it, for others not so.

An SVTPP optioned 13 GT500 is
$58495
$61700 with electronics pack.

Still...not $20-25k more. $10-12k more

80% of the members on SVTP paid MSRP or less for their 13 GT500. See thread here: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=881657

Look- I'm glad you saved $10k...but it's not really the same. I think with a little work and research you probably could have got a 13 with your specs for about only $5k more than your car and blower.

Good luck with the 12 any GT500 is bad ass...just want people to be informed of the differences

Last edited:

Add Name Here

Hook Damn It Hook
Established Member
Everybody is different and so is everybody's financial situation. With that said, first off I LOVE my L!!! I NEVER want to get rid of it. Its exactly what I wanted. I was saving for like 3 years to get the truck in Johnny's hands and have him turn her into a super beast (its just a regular beast right now :D) After many emails to him we were set with a plan of 800 HP.........then I saw the first forum post about the '13 Shelby and I was left speechless. I knew right then I had to have one. The truck went on the back burner and every penny and thought went to the Shelby. Before I start to ramble let me wrap this up. The Shelby is the ONLY thing I would sell my L for but thankfully I'm at a point in my life where I can afford to keep both. The Shelby will no doubt be faster, more luxurious and more importantly have a warranty, but the truck is brute nasty and has a special place in my heart, kinda like a first child I guess. No matter what, every time I see my L she puts a massive smile on my face!!! It would have to be a drastic and sad situation for me to part with the truck.

Last edited:

MixMaker

I've got a fever!!
Established Member
Got an email this morning asking if they sold it at MSRP ($67,500) if I'd be interested.

I'm thinking they're still marking up a bit aren't they?

WOT1320

Established Member
Depending on options, that could be sticker. Mine was loaded with all options minus the glass roof/convertible. Sticker was 67,XXX. That would be a decent deal. Not the best, but better than most. I wouldnt hesitate for sticker... that is what i got mine for.

Add Name Here

Hook Damn It Hook
Established Member
Got an email this morning asking if they sold it at MSRP ($67,500) if I'd be interested.

I'm thinking they're still marking up a bit aren't they?

Just like WOT1320 said check to see what options it has. If its loaded and that's what you were looking for, I'd jump on it. Mine was around that price and I got every option except the stereo. Now if its just a base model with Nav, I'd walk

Last edited:

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I'd like to see someone swap in a 5.8L shortblock into an L with some trick flow heads and some big cams that are suited for the extra displacement, then top it off with either the factory 13 2.3 TVS that says 5.8 on the blower case to make it look like it could have come that way stock, or just go balls to the wall with a KB 3.4LC or a 4.0 whipple. Sure, it would still be a 2V motor, but that's staying true to the L's architecture. I'm not trying to get into a 2V vs 4V debate, but it would be a pretty unique combo. It would be the ultimate 2V lightning engine. We'll probably start to see these types of swaps when the cost comes down for the 5.8 blocks.

Jroc

Established Member
I'd like to see someone swap in a 5.8L shortblock into an L with some trick flow heads and some big cams that are suited for the extra displacement, then top it off with either the factory 13 2.3 TVS that says 5.8 on the blower case to make it look like it could have come that way stock, or just go balls to the wall with a KB 3.4LC or a 4.0 whipple. Sure, it would still be a 2V motor, but that's staying true to the L's architecture. I'm not trying to get into a 2V vs 4V debate, but it would be a pretty unique combo. It would be the ultimate 2V lightning engine. We'll probably start to see these types of swaps when the cost comes down for the 5.8 blocks.

I would love to see this also, but according to SID297 SVT claims that 2v heads won't work on the 5.8 block. Don't ask me why cause IDK.

I just want to see what a TVS 2300 on a well built 2v L will do.

Users who are viewing this thread