Anyone swap their own cams?

raustin0017

Established Member
Okay...I'm trying to decide if I can do the L&M NSR cam swap on my own. I'm not a master mechanic but do know my away around a set of tools. Sort of hard for me to allow others to wrench on my baby.

Why Cams? I'm looking for the old school sound and picking up the extra HP is just a bonus.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I've done it twice now. I'm not a master mechanic either, not by trade or certification at least. I have built a number of engines over my lifetime. I think having a good understanding of engines and valve trains would be more beneficial than knowing your way around tools. The Ford modular is by far more complex than traditional pushrod V-8s. I don't find installing cams is that difficult, but it is a time consuming and tedious process. You will need a valve spring compressor that works on both intake and exhaust on a 4v mod motor. You probably should get or rent a cam holding tool too.

Keeping the cam tower caps in the correct order and orientation is absolutely critical. Bear in mind here are 24 cam towers. Only 2 would to difficult install incorrectly. Installing the caps on the wrong cam tower or wrong orientation will wipe out the cam and ultimately the engine. Unless you're taking the timing cover off, you will need a timing chain wedge to keep the primary chain from losing time with the crank gear. Trying to remove or install the camshaft without removing the cam followers can lead to damaged valves or stripped cam tower threads. I've read about people doing that successfully, but I wouldn't recommend it and it's not a short cut that I took.

My advice would be to get a shop manual and read up on the whole process either to help you decide if you want to tackle it or to do the deed. There's a reason a cam install by a third party is pricey. It's a good bit of work and doing it wrong could have disastrous results.

Clemson

Established Member
FYI, taking the timing cover off with the motor in the car is a massive PITA in and of itself. Trust me, I get the not wanting anyone else hacking on your car, but this and gears are two operations I would let a seasoned pro handle.

raustin0017

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback.
I do have a digital manual and have read every step, twice. With your feedback and reading the outstanding posting from Sielmo have decided to find the correct shop in Charleston area I can trust for the cam install.
Have built old school motors before and even assembled an entire replica Cobra (Lone Star 427) but this scares the crap out of me and have not even ordered the parts yet.
ARH long tubes are on the way and that will keep me busy for a day or two. After the header install going to do the Raven suspension Van has suggested and take it from there.
I learn almost every day from the experts on SVTP...thanks everybody.

Willie

Established Member
I have a few questions and maybe this would be a good place to ask.
1) Is 0.460 lift (L&M NSA cams) be considered the maximum on the stock springs?
2) I assume these cams are installed with a 116 LSA (did not see the spec on their website). Would closing this angle to 114 or maybe even 112 result in more power on the top end AND also wouldn't the idle be lumpier?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
^^ sure it would but drivability would suffer.

To OP.. I say do it yourself. While I don't agree with the other poster that gears are just as difficult (not difficult at all really) I would still give it a shot.

If you've built motors and understand what all is at play, I say go for it. You won't have to worry about someone else messing up your car and you'll save a ton of money as an added bonus.

tvspower

Established Member
Yes. give it a try.... learn in the process... me, I'm not that skilled.. here's a vid on my 08 with BPS cams

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a few questions and maybe this would be a good place to ask.
1) Is 0.460 lift (L&M NSA cams) be considered the maximum on the stock springs?
2) I assume these cams are installed with a 116 LSA (did not see the spec on their website). Would closing this angle to 114 or maybe even 112 result in more power on the top end AND also wouldn't the idle be lumpier?
I assume .46" is probably close to max for lift. The valve springs are the same part numbers for 2007 to 2014. The 13-14 had good bit more lift than the 07-12, and the lift is said to be .448" on the exhaust valve. Most of the specs I've seen for NSR cams are ground with 116 LCAs. Closing the lobe centers will increase overlap. I should move power to mid-range and take it from the top. But if you're only looking at 2 and 4 degrees, it's shouldn't be a significant change.

Drewsky65

Established Member
FYI, taking the timing cover off with the motor in the car is a massive PITA in and of itself. Trust me, I get the not wanting anyone else hacking on your car, but this and gears are two operations I would let a seasoned pro handle.

100% agree on this one

Users who are viewing this thread