Anyone running a 275 on a 8.5 front rim

cobra1718

Established Member
I have some 19in AMR 8.5 rims for the front of my car. Would like to see if I can put a 275/40 Pirelli on the front. IF anyone has the setup please let me know your thoughts about the setup and pictures would be valuable as well. I will running either a 285/295-35-20 on the rear

PhantomX

Established Member
Yup you can do it no problem I had them on the stock rims and a set of AMR's so go for it. No issues with rubbing or balancing or budging. Here's a picture.
92B08830-758D-4C35-8643-995E9149BD08.jpg

7B176713-B86C-48B7-9825-43174E0AB26C.jpg

Voltwings

Established Member
A 255 sits flush on an 8.5" rim, my 275s sit flush on a 9.5" rim. The rim being too small for the tire will pull the sidewall up, effectively lowering your contact patch. The tire will "fit" on the rim, but you're going to be paying for a lot more contact patch than you're actually using... you're basically just wasting money trying to put that big of a tire on there.

PhantomX

Established Member
Honestly the difference in negligible your talking 20mm or .78 of an inch. Hardly a waste of money based on tire costs and virtually no difference in contact patch the tires will contact just fine and you will get more contact patch (most of that .78") on the ground. OP If you want the wide tire look it will look great!

chao5.0

Established Member
I run a 285 on a 9.5 and its almost flush, certain brands will run narrow and some wide. check your tire brands recommended rim widths and as long as you fall in that range you'll be fine.

Voltwings

Established Member
I've gotten ahead of myself before with rims and tires, and have tried putting too big of a tire on a rim. .78, or about 8/10ths is a lot, think about the difference between an 8" and 9" rim .. that's "only" 10/10ths of an inch by that logic.

A tire can only put down the contact patch that the rim allows it to, anything further than that gets pulled up and is never touching the ground. I've had tires "go" on a rim, but when it comes time to replace them, the center tread is totally gone and theres about 1/2" of perfect tread on the edge of each side ... A tire going on a rim, and a tire fitting on a rim are two different things but i've said my piece, its your car and your money.

chao5.0

Established Member
I've gotten ahead of myself before with rims and tires, and have tried putting too big of a tire on a rim. .78, or about 8/10ths is a lot, think about the difference between an 8" and 9" rim .. that's "only" 10/10ths of an inch by that logic.

A tire can only put down the contact patch that the rim allows it to, anything further than that gets pulled up and is never touching the ground. I've had tires "go" on a rim, but when it comes time to replace them, the center tread is totally gone and theres about 1/2" of perfect tread on the edge of each side ... A tire going on a rim, and a tire fitting on a rim are two different things but i've said my piece, its your car and your money.

this is why I tell people check the manufacturers recommended width(s), they have calculated this for you. ideally you will want to pick the width rim they have in parenthesis (usually on their sites) but as long as you fall in the recommended width(s) you'll be fine.

I agree with voltwings on this as well, just because someone can fit a 315 tire on a 9" rim doesn't mean it "fits", sure it mounted but you're pulling useable contact patch up into the sidewall of the tire because the rim is to narrow for the width of the rim. its also why you'll see 10.5 drag cars use 12" rims to maximize contact patch.

cobra1718

Established Member
just wanted to test the waters. I knew it would not be ideal. I have the stock 245/45 on the front now but thought that would be too tall for the 20 in rear that is in the plan. My other option would be the 19X10 with the 275 but then I was worried about the offset. Any comments about that setup?

Users who are viewing this thread