Anyone running 15" rims with Cobra rear discs?

83gt5.0

Established Member
I am having a tough time getting my Greg welds to slide over my rear brake setup. I have 94+ Cobra rear discs. I bought 15x10 Greg Welds with 6.5" backspacing. I was told I may have to grind some material off the caliper, but I have done quite a bit of grinding and still have clearance issues.

Is anyone else running this combo?

83gt5.0

Established Member
I understand that either Weld or Greg Weld rims have a special part number for the larger Cobra rear brakes. Does anyone have this part number or know where I can get my hand on a set?

69mach03

Established Member
I did quite a bit of grinding on my rear calipers to make 15x8 Pro Stars with 4.5" BS fit around the Cobra brakes. Ground down the outer edges and smoothed them to the front face. Mount the wheel, tighten a couple lugs, spin the wheel... hear it hit, pull the wheel, see where the aluminum wheel has "marked" the freshly ground metal -- there's your high spot. Clearancing takes a LOT of patience but its well worth it. Don't worry about grinding through, there is quite a bit of metal there on the stockers. Just take your time.

83gt5.0

Established Member
I have already ground through the "slider pins" slightly. Not a hole as such, but a hairline crack on the top front side of the mounting bracket where the greased pin goes. From mounting and remounting wheel (still not to the point to where it will spin btw), it still needs more grinding

69mach03

Established Member
Wow. The sliders are on the "ends" of the calipers. My wheels hit on the center portion of the caliper housing. Don't know what you've got going on there. I've never put any Greg Welds on, btw -- so I can't speak from experience with how they fit up versus Weld Racing wheels.

If you've got extended length wheel studs, I would highly suggest a pair of 1/2" slip on wheel spacers at this point. 6.5" BS should offset the wheel inside the wheel well a little bit anyhow.

83gt5.0

Established Member
I still haven't found a special version.... I have no problem sending these G.Welds back to Summit, but I wanna replace them with the correct pieces....

Users who are viewing this thread