Anyone run a new 16+ SS Camaro?

chris_302

Established Member
6th gen maro's are fast on straight lines, road course as well with a good driver. Very well put together IMHO.

Had the opportunity to drive one at a local track and was impressed with MRC and how well the car responds out of every turn.

StalkerStang

Established Member
They are much quicker than the 5th gens for sure. I guess I was slightly let down hearing about them so much. Reading about how they were complete monsters compared to the 5.0's and that is really not the case.....

After racing a couple myself at the track and seeing what others have ran with them, yes they are faster, and stock on stock are faster than Coyote cars..... but not by that much..... I was seeing .5 and faster around the web and forums in the 1/4 and its really only like a tenth or two.

chris_302

Established Member
They are much quicker than the 5th gens for sure. I guess I was slightly let down hearing about them so much. Reading about how they were complete monsters compared to the 5.0's and that is really not the case.....

After racing a couple myself at the track and seeing what others have ran with them, yes they are faster, and stock on stock are faster than Coyote cars..... but not by that much..... I was seeing .5 and faster around the web and forums in the 1/4 and its really only like a tenth or two.
Can you post links? I've seen new camaro's low 12th's to high 11th's.

StalkerStang

Established Member
Links to what?

I too have heard about the new Camaros going low 12's to high 11's... but what I have seen at the track and on the street suggests those are outliers and not what you will typically come across. Just like there are guys with stock 11-14 cars that have gone low 12's, they exist but they are not common.

5.0jake

Established Member

If you are seeing only a 10th difference, they cant drive, period.
Too many variables comparing 1/4mile track times. Example, we've all seen quick cars like hellcats with crappy drivers lose to slower cars at the track. Different story on the highway however..

Race a 6th gen from a roll instead and/or go drive one to see the difference for yourself. Plenty of evidence out there where stock 6 gens are pulling on bolt-on/tuned 5.0's from a roll.

I'm not biased and have owned 3 coyote 5.0s; just keeping things real. I'm sure the 2018 GT will be as fast or faster than the 6gen SS

Last edited:

calebdnehus

Established Member
If you are seeing only a 10th difference, they cant drive, period.
Too many variables comparing 1/4mile track times. Example, we've all seen quick cars like hellcats with crappy drivers lose to slower cars at the track. Different story on the highway however..

Race a 6th gen from a roll instead and/or go drive one to see the difference for yourself. Plenty of evidence out there where stock 6 gens are pulling on bolt-on/tuned 5.0's from a roll.

I'm not biased and have owned 3 coyote 5.0s; just keeping things real. I'm sure the 2018 GT will be as fast or faster than the 6gen SS

The '18 will be as fast or faster. From what Ford has released yesterday, 460hp and 0-60 in less than 4 seconds should be enough to meet or beat the camaro. I drove an SS back when I was thinking about going VMP or trading. They are quick and the rev match in the manual is cool

5.0jake

Established Member
The '18 will be as fast or faster. From what Ford has released yesterday, 460hp and 0-60 in less than 4 seconds should be enough to meet or beat the camaro. I drove an SS back when I was thinking about going VMP or trading. They are quick and the rev match in the manual is cool
Yeah I expect the 18 GT vs gen 6 SS to be a drivers race. Time will tell.
I LOVE the rev matching in my SS, it smooths the up-shifts as well. I may never buy another manual without it.

calebdnehus

Established Member
It was pretty bad ass and I liked it. I kinda wish my 17 had it but I wouldnt swap from my mustang to the camaro just for that. The 2SS had a very nice interior feel as most of the touch points were leather wrapped or soft touch materials. The 18 GT is going to give it a run for its money I think on performance and interior feel. If I hadnt just pumped about 10-11K into my car, I would probably get a loaded up 18 Premium in Crimson Red

old01cobra

Established Member
Just ran a coworker that just got a 2017 ss 1le. Dig to about 100ish hard too tell but I put about 2-3 on it. 01 cobra built NA 5.3L with 4.30's on a 28inch tire put down 460rwhp and its about 3500 with me in it.

Honesty, all u guys saying 5th gens are slow must be running stockers. A head cam and FBO 5th gen runs pretty damn good. I just ran a 5th gen claiming cam and FBO and I've run them before but this one was a lot quicker, he had to be squirting some 50 shot on top or a stroker it did sound mean. Normally I can 1 gear them from a 40 3rd pull and full front mirror them in the drivers mirror at about 7500, this last one I needed 2nd I couldn't real him in just with third alone he jumped out quick.

Last edited:

StalkerStang

Established Member
5th gens can be fast, but it seems a lot of them don't get it right. Driver related or tune, I don't know....

I've ran 2 cam/bolt on 5th gen cars..... one beat me by a tenth at the track when I was tune only. The 2nd one claimed 480 wheel, and at my 439 wheel now I pulled on him.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
My buddy has a cammed/LT 5th Gen. Makes about 470 rwhp or so, I'm not 100% sure. I forget whatever else is done, besides lighter wheels and a clutch. My stock exhaust, CJ/AED tuned Boss 302, my other buddy's stock exhaust GT350 IM/AED tuned 15 GT and his stock GT350 handle it pretty easily. Even from a 40 roll, I just leave it in 3rd and ride the revs out to 8. He'll pull initially, but I pull by the top of 3rd, and walk away in 4th.

calebdnehus

Established Member
Ran one of the 6th gen SS this past saturday. 40 roll from 2nd to 5th and I put about 4-5 cars on him by the time we let out. He was stock though and I'm running a VMP. Told me before the run "I was pulling 9 second quarter miles with my stock SS and I not sure why it was so fast because stock they're only supposed to do 12's. Are you sure you wanna race" Lololol

5.0jake

Established Member
M6 Gen 6 SS with e85 tune and catless vs a stock gt350 from a roll.

Listen to the gt350 driver at the end, lol!!

SD_Stang

Established Member
M6 SSs are slow in an average drivers hands they are about a 13 second car the autos are the only ones I would be concerned with. As previously stated tunes for them aren't much of an improvement for basic bolt ons so for them to see big gains they have to do a lot more then a coyote. M6 for M6 it's a drivers race 100% from a dig. Roll Racing they should have the advantage unless they just can't drive.

Basic Bolt on 11-14 A6 will run with a 6th gen/C7 A6 and beat M6's np, converter cars or driver mod M6/CJ should wax them all day and C7's just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread