Anyone run a catch can to the exhaust?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
My car has a bit more blow by than a stock motor due to larger ring gaps for higher boost. The catch cans tend to steam / smoke more than I'd like and it's annoying at times and of course catch cans stink. E85 makes it much nicer but still gets old.

Thinking about removing the filters off the top of the catch cans (which are hidden inside the fender wells) and running a hose to the X pipe so the exhaust scavenges out the smells and puffs of smoke at times. I'd have to go to almost the end of the X into the cat back to be past my wideband sensor as to not mess that up. Been a dual 3" I don't know if there'll be much exhaust velocity at that point to create a suction but should still work. The exhaust should still be hot enough at that point to burn off any steam or mild smoke. When I say smoke it's very faint and fine, you almost think your eyes are playing tricks on you seeing it.

Anyone done something like this? Any feedback?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I've seen it done on trucks. I'm not a fan.

How so? I've seen it on Turbo Hondas and there were no side affects I could tell.

How bad is it Malcom? Is it enough that it would coat the inside of your exhaust?

Nothing more than what already coats it. The catch can catches any oil. The only thing going into the exhaust would be moisture and a small amount of blow by smoke which I imagine would burn up and be non visible coming out the tail pipe. Or maybe not burn up but be so diluted it would be invisible I should say. Most importantly the smell would be gone. The constant E85 fumes from the catch can does get a bit much at times and now with the weather cooling off it'd be nice to have the windows up at times but that's not really an option till I fix this.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I went through that with my 01. I always had to have the windows cracked. It gets annoying after awhile.

Honestly I don't really see a down side. They make a check valve that welds to the header. I think the only down side is that by connecting it so far back you won't get as much scavenging as if you put it at the collector. But for the street it's probably not gong to really matter.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Yeah I agree, scavenging will be minimal but as long as the smell is gone it should do the trick. I considered doing something near the headers or even right up front of the X pipe but then realized it's going to ruin the readings on my O2 sensors including wideband so I'll put it further back.

olympic

Established Member
I've been trying to solve this issue on my car since I've owned it. Just using breathers resulted in oil mist all over the engine bay and horrible fumes through the climate control system. A catch can worked OK but the smell still got into the interior of the car. Right now I'm using Moroso oil separators/breathers with 3/4" hoses running straight down and pointed at the ground. This works pretty good but I can still smell the fumes most times.

For my next attempt, I'm going to attempt to mimic the factory configuration by circulating fresh air through the crank case and then pump the PCV gases out the exhaust system. I'll do this by installing a filtered breather on the passenger side to allow fresh air in. The drivers side will have a Moroso separator/breather like this:

710-68780.jpg

Connected via 3/4" hose to an electric smog pump:

31o-zjB6MUL.jpg

The outlet of the smog pump will be connected via 3/4" hose to slash-cut tube welded into the exhaust after the wideband sensors.

555-52212.jpg

I already have the smog pump and it moves ALOT of air at full speed! I bought a cheap PWM controller off eBay so I can adjust the speed down if needed. I'm still waiting on some part so it'll likely have to wait till spring for installation and testing but I'm hopeful this is the solution I've been looking for.

Stanger00

Established Member
How so? I've seen it on Turbo Hondas and there were no side affects I could tell.

Nothing more than what already coats it. The catch can catches any oil. The only thing going into the exhaust would be moisture and a small amount of blow by smoke which I imagine would burn up and be non visible coming out the tail pipe. Or maybe not burn up but be so diluted it would be invisible I should say. Most importantly the smell would be gone. The constant E85 fumes from the catch can does get a bit much at times and now with the weather cooling off it'd be nice to have the windows up at times but that's not really an option till I fix this.

I'd imaging it would smoke a tiny but after a full WOT pull.

I cat stand the fumes mine makes and thought about venting the breather tank out the exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I've been trying to solve this issue on my car since I've owned it. Just using breathers resulted in oil mist all over the engine bay and horrible fumes through the climate control system. A catch can worked OK but the smell still got into the interior of the car. Right now I'm using Moroso oil separators/breathers with 3/4" hoses running straight down and pointed at the ground. This works pretty good but I can still smell the fumes most times.

For my next attempt, I'm going to attempt to mimic the factory configuration by circulating fresh air through the crank case and then pump the PCV gases out the exhaust system. I'll do this by installing a filtered breather on the passenger side to allow fresh air in. The drivers side will have a Moroso separator/breather like this:

710-68780.jpg

Connected via 3/4" hose to an electric smog pump:

31o-zjB6MUL.jpg

The outlet of the smog pump will be connected via 3/4" hose to slash-cut tube welded into the exhaust after the wideband sensors.

555-52212.jpg

I already have the smog pump and it moves ALOT of air at full speed! I bought a cheap PWM controller off eBay so I can adjust the speed down if needed. I'm still waiting on some part so it'll likely have to wait till spring for installation and testing but I'm hopeful this is the solution I've been looking for.

I can't imagine that separator on the valve cover will do much. Just from my experience and how much I see in the catch cans. Specifically the passenger's catch can. The driver's can always just collects a clear liquid. Presumably condensation from the hot gasses. The passenger's side also has the clear liquid but with an oil level above it.

I also picked up one of those ebay pumps a long time ago but then decided I didn't want the extra weight on the car lol.

I picked up some 1" and 1.5" tubing and silicone hose off ebay last night. The 1.5" is probably way to big but wanted the option in case it looks like it'll work out.

I think I need new catch cans now too. Instead of a huge hole on top for a very large diameter filter I need one with an AN fitting on top so I can attach a hose and run it to the catback and feed in after the X pipe with some high temp silicone hose making the actual attachment to the welded in pipe.

I'd imaging it would smoke a tiny but after a full WOT pull.

I cat stand the fumes mine makes and thought about venting the breather tank out the exhaust.

That's possible. I can live with a tiny amount of tail pipe smoke after WOT pulls knowing its just the catch can. I really don't think it will though. What I see from the catch cans is very minimal and mostly seems to smoke at low rpm higher loads. Like going up a hill on the highway in 6th. I'll find out soon enough though.

s351

Established Member
I have the climate control smell in my car also while driving, Are there better catch cans that prevent this? I have a moroso one that just has a steal wool on the inside. Mine is also located behind my front bumper/passenger fender. Not trying to thread jack Malcolm I just never thought my catch can was doing this.

Stanger00

Established Member
I can't imagine that separator on the valve cover will do much. Just from my experience and how much I see in the catch cans. Specifically the passenger's catch can. The driver's can always just collects a clear liquid. Presumably condensation from the hot gasses. The passenger's side also has the clear liquid but with an oil level above it.

I also picked up one of those ebay pumps a long time ago but then decided I didn't want the extra weight on the car lol.

I picked up some 1" and 1.5" tubing and silicone hose off ebay last night. The 1.5" is probably way to big but wanted the option in case it looks like it'll work out.

I think I need new catch cans now too. Instead of a huge hole on top for a very large diameter filter I need one with an AN fitting on top so I can attach a hose and run it to the catback and feed in after the X pipe with some high temp silicone hose making the actual attachment to the welded in pipe.

That's possible. I can live with a tiny amount of tail pipe smoke after WOT pulls knowing its just the catch can. I really don't think it will though. What I see from the catch cans is very minimal and mostly seems to smoke at low rpm higher loads. Like going up a hill on the highway in 6th. I'll find out soon enough though.

When I take mine to work and I exit the freeway after 35 miles mine smokes as I'm idling at the light. I get vapor smell in the cabin but only see smoke after extended drives.

I have the climate control smell in my car also while driving, Are there better catch cans that prevent this? I have a moroso one that just has a steal wool on the inside. Mine is also located behind my front bumper/passenger fender. Not trying to thread jack Malcolm I just never thought my catch can was doing this.

I wonder the same also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

s351

Established Member
I was over on one of the supra forms they were saying to run a check valve and run the catch can into the intake. So when your cruising the can is pulling vacuum and the oil vapors are being burnt up so no smell, but under boost the valve closes and the can catches the oil so you don't get the possible detonation.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I was over on one of the supra forms they were saying to run a check valve and run the catch can into the intake. So when your cruising the can is pulling vacuum and the oil vapors are being burnt up so no smell, but under boost the valve closes and the can catches the oil so you don't get the possible detonation.

I ran a similar set up on my 01. I had a check valve between the intake and catch can. That was probably my best set up. It seemed to help with the fumes and still kept the intake dry. I picked up the check valve from Boomba Racing.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Mine vents right under my driver side hood vent. I was annoyed at first, but then figured it was just one more way to monitor engine health.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I've always heard that it makes for nasty oily exhaust.

The catch can will get all the oil, or the bulk of it anyways. It's just the smelly vapors and misting going into the exhaust. Probably put a tiny amount but nothing compare to when those gapless rings were burning a quart of oil every 200 miles. Either way I'd much rather it in the exhaust than the intake.

You need better catch cans Malcolm. Are they baffled?

They are not baffled but I just ordered new ones that are and have multiple AN fittings so I can plumb it up the way I need. A baffle will create surface area for the misty or "smoke" to condense on but it won't do anything for the smell.

Yeah I've tinkered with various setups over the years on my old turbo honda I built. Not doing intake again. No matter how great a catch can you have some will always get by and no way I'm getting that into my intercooler again. They can definitely slows the process down but some small amount always gets by.

I have the same issue with my direct injection BMW. Oily vapors build up on the back of the intake valves and need to be walnut blasted every 30 to 50k miles. Guys have tried all sorts of fancy catch cans to eliminate it and at best all they can do is slow it down.

Users who are viewing this thread