Anyone replace an OEM backup camera with aftermarket?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
It looks like the camera on my 2012 F150 is taking a dump, OEM is around $300. I see a few aftermarket plug and play options that are 150-200 and claim better image quality. Anyone had any luck with these?

I say it's taking a dump because the image doesn't always show up in the mirror, sometimes it flickers and when it does come on the image is reversed (a car on the pass side appears to be on the driver's side)

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Hmm, I was going to say at first wonder if it was a loose cord in the tailgate. My older 12 started acting up close to that. Played with the cord that goes into the tailgate and it didn't act up again.

GodStang

Established Member
I have installed aftermarket backup and forward facing cameras in my explorer but I did not replace factory. The image on them are far superior to our 2017 F150 cameras and 2011 Honda Cameras.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Hmm, I was going to say at first wonder if it was a loose cord in the tailgate. My older 12 started acting up close to that. Played with the cord that goes into the tailgate and it didn't act up again.

I do plan to check that and the connection at the camera as it seems to have gone nuts after they pressure washed the truck detailing it so seems like water got into...something. It sucks you have to break the tailgate emblem to get to the connection at the camera itself.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Having to break the emblem on the tailgate is stupid but I guess I will and see what I can find

gfcobra04

Established Member
Premium Member
My f350 had similar issues. It ends up being the emergency brake. Using the emergency brake presses on the video cable. I stopped using the emergency brake and the problem fixed it’s self. Search the web and you will find this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread