anyone pull their car with an F150?

97crystalwhite

ah whatsup DOHC?!
Established Member
did i mention, the F150 was a 98, with a 4.6, the exhaust rusted in the middle of the mid pipe, so i only had half a mid pipe. and the manifold had a huge huge leak in it. and a auto.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
did i mention, the F150 was a 98, with a 4.6, the exhaust rusted in the middle of the mid pipe, so i only had half a mid pipe. and the manifold had a huge huge leak in it. and a auto.

Exactly. It doesn't take a 30-06 to kill a deer but some people just don't believe that. LOL. Sure a F-250 will do it easier but the F-150 will do it just fine. Only con is the shitty gas mileage. If you were towing all the time then for sure the diesel is the way to go.

Bullitt2655

'01 Bullitt
Established Member
F150.jpg

The picture says it all. 2010 F150 s/crew 4x4 4.6l. All the new F150's (and maybe older ones) have a tow/haul mode in the tranny that helps a lot when going down hill by downshifting to a lower gear. It also holds the gear longer on upshifts. I would make sure the truck has a tow package that includes a tranny cooler..

I get 16 MPG (Imperial Gallons) towing my Bullitt, but the trailer only weighs 1100lbs

wvmystichrome

Established Member
F150.jpg

The picture says it all. 2010 F150 s/crew 4x4 4.6l. All the new F150's (and maybe older ones) have a tow/haul mode in the tranny that helps a lot when going down hill by downshifting to a lower gear. It also holds the gear longer on upshifts. I would make sure the truck has a tow package that includes a tranny cooler..

I get 16 MPG (Imperial Gallons) towing my Bullitt, but the trailer only weighs 1100lbs

Thats what I did with my 2000 F150 5.4. Wild thing was mine did not have the tow package so I got the stuff I needed. I had to take it back. I took it to my Ford tech friend after hours so he could use the dealerships lift. We put it up on the rack and got underneath. Mine came with a factory trans cooler that was bigger than the biggest one I could find and buy. So we did not put it on.

OP. I have pulled a loaded trailer with mine many times. Most important thing is to remember.....Leave Your Overdrive OFF. You'll be fine.

Black306

Established Member
Not an F150, but I basically have the same driveline; '05 2WD EB Expedition with a 5.4 and a 4R70W tranny. About the only difference is I have an IRS. Towing the Cobra, family and luggage in the cab up and down the Grapevine no problems. Only issue I have is a clicking/rattling sound just off idle in the tranny when it is hot. I believe it needs an anti rattle clip, but I still need to do more research.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I towed my 26 ft Catalina Lite travel trailer with my 92 F150, 300" 6 (145 hp/265 ft lbs torque) and 5 speed manual tranny with 3.55 gears.. 60 mph on the freeway is fine, but going up hills your GOING to have to down shift into 4th to keep up the speed. It does tow a lot better than my 01 Explorer Sport, that's for sure..

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
I had an unfair advantage using a lightning, being it has lots of super duty parts (ie brakes, 4r100 ect.) And forced induction to offset the altitude. It was not a car but I've towed enclosed tandem axel trailers loaded with a ton of furniture (couches beds), fridge, washer, dryer, grill, smoker, weight set, mower etc. It was at least 3500 lbs ontop of the trailer's weight (and it was big and it was full). The trailer seemed about 2to 3 times the length of my truck and twice as tall. It would not fit in the driveway, too long. I had some suspension mods on the lightning (cal-tracs) so I adjusted to preload/stiffen the rear a bit more (just in case) and had virtualy no dip in the rear. This was towed from Wichita, KS (1320FT ASL) to west of Denver, CO (5280ft+) and back, a 1,100 mile trip. There were no problems, gas mileage suffered but not too badly it was about 13mpg overall heavy and a mpg or so better light ( the aerodynamic drag was worse than the weight for my mpg) doing 75-80 most of the way. The 82 F-100 (302ci) probably could have done it, it has done large loads in the past, but the hitch is in the bumper, limiting trailer weight, and most of it is manual... specificly the manual brakes. Plus she is nearly 30 years old, it would work every 120 some odd horses and that 3 speed manual much harder than I'd like. Besides the Lightning is just like the buddy who helps you move all your heavy crap without even breaking a sweat, he just asks you buy him a crapload of expensive beer in Exchange. Lol

Check the brakes (and fluid), tire pressures, and other fuids (especially transmission) and if they are in good shape about any modern fullsize truck should do fine pulling a car on an open trailer.
IMAGE_081.jpg

Last edited:

stangaholic280

Established Member
I towed mine a few times with a 4.6L. It is doable, but after owning a 6.7L F-250 now I realized how much it sucked lol. It started slow and stopped even slower. Going through Dallas traffic I was shitting my pants lol. To answer your question though, yes it will tow your car. I'd def say try to get a 5.4L some good trailer brakes.

Old truck
dsc0011yez.jpg

dsc0013go.jpg

New truck...tows 5k Lbs like nothing is there. :)

dsc0093au.jpg

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
summer2010preJuly100.jpg

'04 F150, 5.4L auto with 125k miles pulled my Jeep on a steel trailer 8 hours from MD to KY and back through the mountains without a single problem. Just turn off overdrive when going up the big hills. Also make sure you have good trailer brakes.

I've also pulled my old Cobra on an aluminum Featherlite trailer with the same truck and it felt like there was nothing behind me.

PRP

Established Member
F150.jpg

I just bought a 2011 F-150 4x4 Crewcab w/Ecoboost and AT (King Ranch edition).

It has a towing capacity rating of 11,300 pounds.

The 6-sp Auto trans has a tow/haul mode, a factory built-in transmission cooler and a transmission temperature gauge in the dash.

The (factory) electric trailer brake system is incorporated into the vehicle ABS system and includes a anti-sway (swerve) feature.

With 11.3K lb. towing capacity I can tow my GT500 (3900 lbs) inside of a fully enclosed trailer (6000 lb.) and still have room to spare for equipment.

I had a 2006 GMC Sierra SLE that I traded in on it optioned up to "HD" standards with the big motor, rear end gears, limited slip, tow/haul trans, etc. etc. etc. and the towing capacity on it was only 6000 pounds, and that was WITH a load compensating hitch!

The Ford is twice the truck the GMC was and quite frankly, I was happy with the GMC other than it being a regular cab with NO room to spare for even a jacket if I wanted to bring one along.

Get a newer Ford and you can't go wrong.

Phill Pollard - Co. Springs, CO
2010 Shelby GT500 Coupe
2011 Ford F-150 4x4 CC King Ranch
2011 Ford Flex Limited

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
well I ended up getting a 2004 FX4 5.4L 3v with 83k miles on it for 12.5k bux. I think that's a hell of a deal- especially since it has a system, leveling kit, eagle alloys and tires, retractable bed cover, spray in liner, sunroof, and aftermarket floormats. couldn't be happier

Newskool Mach

9 second club
Established Member
Here's my set-up; 03' Explorer with the 4.6 V8 and tow package. 3.73 gears. Tows great even up hills. I have a 5R55 trans though and that low gear with the 3.73's get it moving real easy. You do need a brake controller in the mountains if you don't want fade.

sickmach003.jpg

acatalon

Established Member
img00408e.jpg

By tcatalon at 2011-06-21

This is my 06 f150 4 speed auto with towing package pulling my 4500 dry weight Pace trailer. add tools ,refrig, generator and a 3700 lbs Cobra. I added elec brake controller, air bags, towing mirrors from a an 08, and a weight distribution hitch with sway control. I have an edge programmer running the tow program where I can monitor the tranny temps and rpms of tranny output shaft and engine rpms. The terrain here is flat and that helps. I still wish I had an f 250 but the upkeep and fuel cost can't be justified in my situation.

Zacharyx

Established Member
I pulled my car lots with a v6 f-150 and got better gas mileage than when we pulled it with a friends hemi Ram

Users who are viewing this thread