anyone pull their car with an F150?

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
so I can't really afford a manual f250 turbo diesel right now so may just pick up a f150 crew cab, and they don't have an option for manual trans. So I was wondering if anyone had an insight or problems pulling their car with an auto trans f150? I do live in the mountains too.

tcstang17

Established Member
My 99 with a 5.4 and auto trans does just fine with 215k on the clock. I live in a hilly area and it works well enough for me.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Any modern quarter ton truck will pull it just fine. Ill be pulling mine 3 hours to the track using my 89 f150.

97crystalwhite

ah whatsup DOHC?!
Established Member
yup, 98 F150 pulled my black car (96 gt) about 35 miles up and down hills in the country just fine. the trailer being used was a 20 ft. trailed flatbed used to haul big round hay bails that weigh around 1500lbs each. the only thing that was a little unsure off, was the brakes were no diesel brakes. the trailer would act like it wanted to push the truck a little, but it never got bad. The 04 F350 we have has a resse brake booster on it so that we dont get that feel. hope this helps.

pacific4v

Established Member
I have u all beat. I pulled my car 2 hrs to get tuned with an 89 silverado with a 4.3 v6 and a 3spd auto! Lol. It would slow from about 65mph down to 45 by the time i made it to the top of some hills. It did get better gas mileage than my buddies avalanche when i used it to pull it the week before

CJK440

Established Member
Its not the go, its the whoah.

I pull a 16" open trailer with a total trailer weight of 5k with a 4.7L Dakota. No issues. But you need to be sure you have dual axle trailer brakes and a good controller.

tcstang17

Established Member
^ You sir have a nice car. Is that an S281 wing or a Tiger Racing? Sorry just a quick question back to original topic.

svt99rag

Established Member
We pulled a '68 Camaro from Denver to Indianapolis with a V6 Explorer with no problem, you should be fine.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
For what it's worth I pull a 6,000 total weight boat and trailer with a Crew Cab 2WD 2005 5.4 F-150. Those motors are 365 ft/lbs of torque. I pull it up a mountain every weekend. It's a 3000 ft rise in elevation over 13 miles. Truck does just fine.

You will get shitty gas mileage though. Truck has a K&N, straight pipe and Superchips Cortex. I get about 10 mpg pulling the boat on the highway with the 87 octane tune loaded.

Last edited:

slowr w/o blowr

Established Member
24' enclosed with 150 crew cab. 5.4- must have electric brake controller. Tows best under 65. over 65mph is like 8mpg. 55mph is 12mpg.

Last edited:

00_silvergt

Established Member
I pulled a 97 Cadillac with my 05 f150 with the 4.6 engine. It was a 5 hour trip truck ran fine. You have to give yourself a larger stopping distance. Went through hills truck did fine. I think the Cadillac was way heavier than my mustang. That same day I pulled a 2000 Durango and no problems.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I would be concerned with the brakes and suspension than the engine/tranny. Especially if you ever tow in the mountains. I've seen trucks heading downhill with failing brakes and it's not a pretty sight

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I've been pulling mine with an 07 4 door F-150. I've pulled it from Ky to Maryland through the mountains 3 times. It's not the best for pulling but it does the job fairly well. I'd get a tune in it mainly to help the transmission.

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
Pulled my 99 Cobra in my sig from Texas to Wisconsin with a 2002 Ford Ranger. Weight distribution hitch and electric brake controller was all it took. MPG was horrible, but easily ran the speed limit on the highways, and could stop just fine. Trailer was a 18 ft car hauler.

BigTang

Breakin' Stuff
Established Member
research the 04-05 5.4 issues before you get one.

cam phaser and spark plugs are almost as enticing as the egr cooler on the 6.0

going from an '06 superduty 6.0 to an '06 f150 5.4 its a turd that can barely get out of its own way. I get 14mpg average and drive easy. i'm sure it will haul anything you ask it to and hold up to it, its very well built. the 10.0 0-60 is a let down(yeah yeah its a truck, wait until you get run over trying to change lanes).

that said, get a gryphon tuner for it and enjoy.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
My truck has towed a suburban, a mini van, a 69 Camaro, and my mustang with my 04 crew cab 5.4. Just turn your OD off and you will be fine.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
You could absolutely do it. I had a friend pull a 24ft boat with his jeep cherokee...I ended up moving it for him later with my F350 and could definitely feel it there. So you'll be plenty fine if you keep it at a reasonable speed and drive sanely.

Stangdriver13

Established Member
My truck has towed a suburban, a mini van, a 69 Camaro, and my mustang with my 04 crew cab 5.4. Just turn your OD off and you will be fine.

Yes turn the OD off if you are running 60 or under. The truck will lug and will constantly upshift if you don't. This is what causes a lot of the tranny problems when towing. That being said I pulled my Mach 1 on a trailer with by brother 02 F150 with a 5.4 with no problems. A brake controller will do you wonders.

Users who are viewing this thread