Anyone own or uses a pellet grill?

02Toner

Established Member
My father in-law has a "Pit Boss" and we love it.

It's crazy simple to use and it seriously takes effort to mess anything up. Perfectly juicy steaks or ribs or pork. It is literally a set and forget type of thing. It regulates everything for you. Plus with this Pit Boss you can open up the bottom grate and use it as a standard style grill for burgers or anything you don't really want to smoke.

As soon as our house is finished being built, I'm buying one.

700FB Pellet | Pit Boss Grills

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
I've got a GMG Daniel Boone.

It takes a little practice to get accustomed to grilling vs. smoking with it, but I like it.

I still prefer my electric box for brisket, but I'll do ribs on the GMG.

Grilling is still a toss up on what I'm feeling like that day. I use the charcoal and propane still, also.

Make sure to get pellets with no filler. I order mine from Amazon.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I tossed up in pellets but my wife egged me. Took some getting used to but man the meats are the heats now.

I seen one shown on Fox that does coals, pellets, and has a gas insert. Shit if I can recall the brand but it was a common name.

buffalosoldier

Established Member
I just got a Traeger pellet grill and it is awesome!! Perfection every time.
8894c98a666d0d0d7b1a3761970c396d.jpg
b089f65d4561e67b577cf4e2b53eff03.jpg
b0b76c6809606858048674840c43f278.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk.

Last edited by a moderator:

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
Green Mountains rock. Make the best damn chicken you will ever eat.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
@SID297

Looks like you're looking at the GMG grills mainly. I have a Daniel Boone. The only downside is it can be frustrating to get up to the 150* base temp when it's cold outside (sub 50*), but that's likely less problematic in your area. Once it gets to 150, it gets to my selected 225-275 temp without issue.

On the positives, I haven't had much need for my grill (think I used it once since buying the smoker in November. I use my smoker 1-2 times a week, needless to say my meat budget has gone up, but so has quality. Have a butcher now for a few things.

The biggest learning curve I've run into is a result of either the GMG design or efficiency. When starting out, you need to really monitor what you're cooking (mine has the built in Wifi and meat thermometer), my first attempt at sausage was a train wreck. It cooked in half the time every smoker forum and video said. So I wound up with super dry, hard sausage. Was angering as it was jalapeno cheddar from the butcher and not cheap. After that, I keep a better eye on things, but have gotten my ribs, pork butt, pork belly, chicken, etc down pretty solid. So just keep that in mind.

Smoked some buffalo sausage last weekend, and was some of the best I've ever had. If you're a big meat eater, smoker is a must.

Stanger00

Established Member
My old propane grill probably only has about 1 year of life left in it. I think everything tastes better when cooked over wood, so these things appeal to me:

I own a GMG Daniel Boone. Zero regrets. Great smoke flavor and pretty effortless operation especially with WiFi. However fuel is more expensive with grilling temperatures of 300-350 if compared to propane.

I Buy GMG brand pellets. Around $20 for 28lbs. Consumes about .75-1lb per hour at 250 temp. IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
22" Weber, aluminum tray for water and a few chunks of your fav smoking wood and youre GTG. :D

08mojo

Established Member
Are the pellet grills only good for smoking temps or can you get them up to the temperature of a regular grill?

buffalosoldier

Established Member
My traeger heats up to 500 degrees. Its like an oven with smoke. I havent tried burgers or steak, but I think I will try pork steaks this weekend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Stanger00

Established Member
Are the pellet grills only good for smoking temps or can you get them up to the temperature of a regular grill?

Yes, they go up to 500 and will sear.

Reverse searing steaks is popular. I smoke Tri-tips at 250 to 120-125 internal temp and then sear to 135 IT on my propane grill. I could sear with pellet grill but don't want to use excess pellets if I don't have too.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
I have a older traeger, most overrated piece of crap I’ve ever been around.. doesn’t really smoke, doesn’t really grill... just a decent hotdog cooker. If I want to take the time to smoke something, I drag my trusty stick burner out. Steaks, go on the hotbox of my stick burner with charcoal in it. All I use my traeger for is brats and burgers. It’s convenient for my wife to have supper ready for me when I get home.

buffalosoldier

Established Member
Most of the smoke is at low temps, 175 or so, you can definitely oversmoke some meats. For shoulders and ribs I smoke low for an hr or so. Then turn it up to 225 250 for 10 or 12 hrs. Spray with apple juice every hour or so if I remember. I have a high dollar DCS grill I havent lit for 2 years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Blown 89

Established Member
@SID297
The only downside is it can be frustrating to get up to the 150* base temp when it's cold outside (sub 50*), but that's likely less problematic in your area. Once it gets to 150, it gets to my selected 225-275 temp without issue.
Make a thermal blanket for it. Google fu your way to the tutorials and you'll find ways to do it for around $20.

Fwiw i have a Traeger. The thing is seriously awesome. I grill burgers, steaks, chicken, ribs, you name it and it's beyond easy.

I also bake in it. Pizza (frozen or fresh), bread, cookies, pie. Hell, I cooked a lasagna in there recently.

It's literally made my has grill obsolete. I don't think I've turned it on since i got that Traeger.

Machdup1

Established Member
Have you looked at Sous Vide cooking combined with a searzall torch.

Sirraf

Established Member
I got a pit boss from wal mart for $400. It work great and is a good value.

upload_2018-6-8_5-59-31.jpeg

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
I have a Camp Chef I use for smoking and I absolutely love it for its ability to maintain a constant low temperature smoke perfect for salmon, ribs, brisket, pork shoulder, etc.! On the other hand it sucks as far as cooking steaks because it really doesn't get hot enough to sear them properly.

Have you looked at Sous Vide cooking combined with a searzall torch.

I have a Searzall and it works well, however it takes a couple minutes per steak to really get a proper sear on all sides. I just bought this from Amazon yesterday and plan on trying it out on a test steak this weekend.

U.M.

61Uesf6jYFL._SL1200_.jpg

500,000 BTU/3500 degrees

Should sear my steaks in under 30 seconds.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread