Anyone need a generator for the coming apocalypse?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
This thing has a Ford 300 I-6 running on propane in it. It should go forever:

00909_jbDitqPhtFD_1200x900.jpg

Onan 35KW GenSet LPG Standby Generator 120V-480V 1PH/3PH Propane -...

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Intersting that a Cummins product would feature a Ford engine. Then again, the Cummins 6.7 could be had in the F650 and F750s until recently too.

Cold start might be a pain, but once is spinning, it'll run untill its out of fuel.

My dad had a Ford Leyman diesel in his 44' Hardin sailboat. Never a single issue with that engine.

Last edited:

M91196

Established Member
Intersting that a Cummins product would feature a Ford engine. Then again, the Cummins 6.7 could be hand in the F650 and F750s until recently too.

Cold start might be a pain, but once is spinning, it'll run untill its out of fuel.

My dad had a Ford Leyman diesel in his 44' Hardin sailboat. Never a single issue with that engine.

Cummins purchased Onan in the mid 80’s.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Reminds me of a sort of compact bulldozer, just need to add the controls, seat, tracks and blade and you would be good to go.

But yeah the 300 I6 was pretty much a bullet proof engine as I did an oil change on one that had 15,000 miles on said oil and it was good to go the vehicle had 166,000 miles also it was a 1991 F-150 Lariat this was in 2002. do that with a modern everything computerized vehicle and I'm sure something would of went if treated similarly.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
I manage one that is still kicking. Cycles automatically every Monday morning. Runs on natural gas and the oil remains translucent. Amazing equipment.
6c9065cf54b0e11b6edcdeedad345661.jpg
ebe0cee70e78dd702b5eec5b14602c08.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Intersting that a Cummins product would feature a Ford engine. Then again, the Cummins 6.7 could be had in the F650 and F750s until recently too.

I've seen an Onan Generator with a Ford V10 in it. Those old Ford British diesels were good engines.

Reminds me of a sort of compact bulldozer, just need to add the controls, seat, tracks and blade and you would be good to go.

But yeah the 300 I6 was pretty much a bullet proof engine as I did an oil change on one that had 15,000 miles on said oil and it was good to go the vehicle had 166,000 miles also it was a 1991 F-150 Lariat this was in 2002. do that with a modern everything computerized vehicle and I'm sure something would of went if treated similarly.

The 300 I-6 is easily a half-million mile engine if treated halfway decently.

jshen

Established Member
I bought a generator off "dude in a truck" during Matthew....and it worked great but I replaced it w/10kw "portable" running on propane. It is wired to my house but I am looking for "water cooled- brushless, NG/Propane" for permant fix---Any suggestions...

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
We have a Generac, running on natural gas. It has a GM vortec V-6. Its ~25 years old, and is a huge asset. Ill never live with out a generator. Winter before last, it ran for 4 days.

M91196

Established Member
I suspect you'll see them switching to the 7.3L V8 soon on the new models.

6.2 is the gaseous prep Ford engine these days, unless they eliminate it I wonder if the take rate of the engine justifies the investment for the big dawg.

There was a little growth in that segment last year but I would guess that will be gone and more after 2020

I wont ever be without a generator either, ran mine for 7 days after the 2011 October snowstorm

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
........I am looking for "water cooled- brushless, NG/Propane" for permant fix---Any suggestions...

Yeah, me too. I want a good generator, NG/propane, permanent. Anybody got suggestions for me and @jshen ??????

-

railroad

Established Member
I bought a whole house Generac propane fueled.
I think it is 27kw. I have 2-200 amp panels, so I had to have 2 auto disconnects. While shopping, I spoke with distributors that sold several brands, but Generac was the most recommended. It has a weekly duty cycle, I think it runs for 12 minutes.
It has a 4 cyl water cooled engine. It ran for 36 hrs last week, due to storm damaging power supply.
I live in the rural country, so I run off a propane tank.
I have 2 heat pumps and one is wired so both cannot go on max draw at the same time.
Everything in the house runs just like normal power.
Only issue I have ever had, a low voltage wire with a bayonet lug, inside one transfer box, came off the terminal. Part of the house did not have power. I opened the panel and it was right there in the front.
The best summation on any purchase is, I would buy the same one again.

jshen

Established Member
I bought a whole house Generac propane fueled.
I think it is 27kw. I have 2-200 amp panels, so I had to have 2 auto disconnects. While shopping, I spoke with distributors that sold several brands, but Generac was the most recommended. It has a weekly duty cycle, I think it runs for 12 minutes.
It has a 4 cyl water cooled engine. It ran for 36 hrs last week, due to storm damaging power supply.

Would you please send me the Model number---27 is what I need and for longetivity...it HAS to be water-cooled. Huricane Matthew kept power out over a week.. I have 2/250 gal tanks of propane...currently ready to be hooked to my present Champion portable...10kw...it's hook to the house and all have have to do is disconnect house breaker and connect lie to generator...there- I pick an choose what appliances to run...I am single so easy to track what is being used.

Users who are viewing this thread