anyone making 600 rwhp with the S-trim

jo2fst4u

Established Member
Here are my plans. This is all for my 96 Cobra

vortech V-1

Maybe a 75 shot of nitrous

a custon chip with dyno tune
I have the 255 pump but will be getting another one inline ???

aluminum block, cobra crank, billit rods, JE forged 17cc dish pistons, arp main studs, arp rod bolts, billit oil pump gears, and romac balancer

42# injectors maybe bigger (what should i get?)
ported and polished heads
accu fab T.b
hooker long tubes
Lightning 90 mm mass air meter
blower cams

I want to make around 600 rwhp what kind of number you think i can get with these plans?

Will 14#'s of boost do the Job?

akatherazor4

If you see this tag, Run!
Established Member
Originally posted by jo2fst4u
Here are my plans. This is all for my 96 Cobra

vortech V-1

Maybe a 75 shot of nitrous

a custon chip with dyno tune
I have the 255 pump but will be getting another one inline ???

aluminum block, cobra crank, billit rods, JE forged 17cc dish pistons, arp main studs, arp rod bolts, billit oil pump gears, and romac balancer

42# injectors maybe bigger (what should i get?)
ported and polished heads
accu fab T.b
hooker long tubes
Lightning 90 mm mass air meter
blower cams

I want to make around 600 rwhp what kind of number you think i can get with these plans?

Will 14#'s of boost do the Job?

The only person I know that has made 600rwhp with an S-trim is Brian Bradford. With that said, The S-trim is going to be too small regardless. You will have to majorly overspin the S-trim to make 600 at the wheels. On my 01 cobra with the s-trim I am making 503rwhp with 14psi on a very conservative tune. The blower itself is already spinning in it's max efficiancy range at 7000rpm's. If I wanted to get more aggressive with the tune I am guessing I could go to 550rwhp without adding anymore go fast goodies.

If you are looking to make 600+ at the wheels then you should look to a JT trim blower. It will much better suit your needs. Your going to need more then a 42lb injector as well. You may want to look into 55lb or a tad bigger. Also the blower cams will not be worth what you pay for them. You can make over 600 without them and stick that extra $2000 somewhere else. That is unless you just want your car to sound nasty.;-) The 90m.m. LMAF may also cause you a problem as well. I'm pegging mine at around 6200rpm's I believe, to correct this I have the chip programmed to dump more fuel in order to carry it to 7000rpm's.

I am by no means a professional, tuner, or mechanic so please take this information as advice only. Talk to as many knowlegeable people as possible and you will get the right combo for safe and effective power. Good luck to you.

Razor.:beer:

Cobra 4.6

Established Member
I just swapped my Paxton Novi2000 / Fasttrack IC to VENOM98 who with a Vortech SQ "S" / Aftercooler & 3.12 pulley made 560rwhp/490rwtq. His goal is to make 700-800rwhp and my goal is to make 525-550rwhp. I made 465rwhp/378rwtq with 12lbs of boost with the Novi2000. The Novi2000 will flow 1700 cfm vs 1000 cfm for the Vortech "S". The YS trim flows 1500 cfm. Like the others said you need to go with the Vortech YS trim or go all out with the Paxton Novi2000 SC.

jo2fst4u

Established Member
thanks guys, I know i am asking allot from the Strim, anyone know how much it cost to upgrade from Vortech. I got a good deal on the S-trim it is used but just came back from Vortech rebuilt and ready to go, maybe i can swap it out?????????????

SilverY2KGT

Established Member
Re: Re: anyone making 600 rwhp with the S-trim

Originally posted by akatherazor4
The only person I know that has made 600rwhp with an S-trim is Brian Bradford. With that said, The S-trim is going to be too small regardless. You will have to majorly overspin the S-trim to make 600 at the wheels. On my 01 cobra with the s-trim I am making 503rwhp with 14psi on a very conservative tune. The blower itself is already spinning in it's max efficiancy range at 7000rpm's. If I wanted to get more aggressive with the tune I am guessing I could go to 550rwhp without adding anymore go fast goodies.

If you are looking to make 600+ at the wheels then you should look to a JT trim blower. It will much better suit your needs. Your going to need more then a 42lb injector as well. You may want to look into 55lb or a tad bigger. Also the blower cams will not be worth what you pay for them. You can make over 600 without them and stick that extra $2000 somewhere else. That is unless you just want your car to sound nasty.;-) The 90m.m. LMAF may also cause you a problem as well. I'm pegging mine at around 6200rpm's I believe, to correct this I have the chip programmed to dump more fuel in order to carry it to 7000rpm's.

I am by no means a professional, tuner, or mechanic so please take this information as advice only. Talk to as many knowlegeable people as possible and you will get the right combo for safe and effective power. Good luck to you.

I couldn't disagree more. Many have made 570+rwhp with a stock Vortech S-trim (note: not an SC-trim) as well as several who have 600rwhp. Your S-trim is not maxing out at 7K rpm at 14# of boost, I was seeing 16# with a 3.12" pullley and a powerpipe before the addition of the intercooler. This was with Ported heads and a stock intake. FWIW, I made 561rwhp on pump gas (also before the IC was added), I am now running a 2.87" pulley and not over spinning my blower by any means. I did see fit however the addition of my Intercooler as my intake temps were getting pretty high.

I do agree that the 90mm L MAF will crap out for him at about 12# of boost.

But the 42# injectors will suffice at 600rwhp, but he will need an FMU and some good fuel lines and two good 255lph pumps.

BTW, I plan to make 580-590rwhp on pump gas with my S-trim.

Last edited:

jo2fst4u

Established Member
I have the pumps, I am looking @ 55# injectors now. I may have to wait on head porting unless i can find a deal (anyone???) I plan on driving this often. I live about ten min from pauls high performance. He will doing the tuning. I will see what I can get out of it. maybe i am asking to much.

What mass air meter are you running? I also have a C&l 80mm.

Thanks for all the help.

Jeff

akatherazor4

Established Member
Re: Re: Re: anyone making 600 rwhp with the S-trim

Originally posted by SilverY2KGT
I couldn't disagree more. Many have made 570+rwhp with a stock Vortech S-trim (note: not an SC-trim) as well as several who have 600rwhp. Your S-trim is not maxing out at 7K rpm at 14# of boost, I was seeing 16# with a 3.12" pullley and a powerpipe before the addition of the intercooler. This was with Ported heads and a stock intake. FWIW, I made 561rwhp on pump gas (also before the IC was added), I am now running a 2.87" pulley and not over spinning my blower by any means. I did see fit however the addition of my Intercooler as my intake temps were getting pretty high.

You may want to do a recalculation on that. My car's S-trim is spinning at 46,503.82 rpm's (Impellar speed) at 7000rpm's. Vortech rates this blower at 45,000 for the efficiant max and 50,000 is the absolute max. So as you can see The little S-trim is almost to the point of working overtime. Spinning the blower past it's absolute max will only heat up the air further and cause more chance of detonation. I too run an aftercooler, but heat is heat. There's many guy's who overspin the S-trim but it's only a matter of time before a rebuild is due. You can use the link below to check your impellar speed as well. It was a post of mine from a while back.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48215&highlight=Vortech

I do agree that the 90mm L MAF will crap out for him at about 12# of boost.

Yup sure will. I need to upgrade mine to something a bit better.

But the 42# injectors will suffice at 600rwhp, but he will need an FMU and some good fuel lines and two good 255lph pumps.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. While I don't have the time at this moment, I can post the mathmatical calculation proving that 42's will not safely support 600h.p. . It can be done by removing the the small disk inside which creates the spray pattern causing the 42's to have less restriction and just dump fuel, but I believe like most people he want's to do this correctly.

BTW, I plan to make 580-590rwhp on pump gas with my S-trim.

You can certianly do it with the S-trim but there has to be other factors involved in creating that power. You can't rely soley on the S-trim to do all the work. If you do then you will be paying Vortech $800+ for the rebuild of the head unit. I can retune my car as it sits and make 550hp easy without touching the blower. I'm on stock internals so I choose not too at the time.

All I am saying is that you can push your parts past their intended limits, but in time they will fail. I am pushing my stock internals past thier limits and they will fail. I'm prepared for that. This gentleman is in the process of a buildup and I am only trying to offer advice that will help him in the long run. Overspin this and cheat the fuel with that will get you burned. Just ask the 03 guy's making 550+ rwhp what soze injectors their using. I bet the majority will tell you 55#'s or larger. Good luck with your car and thanks for sharing some insight. We all need ot help eachother as much as possible. :thumbsup:

blownstang

Established Member
I'd have to agree with these guys. The S-trim will be overspinning to make that power. I plan on stepping up to an YS-trim, with that I will be well into 600rwhp, now with that kind of power the block starts becoming the weak link! Gotta step up to the new Dart Iron eagle.

blown331

Established Member
Razor, you mentioned brian bradford. WOuld that be "the" brian bradford, aka nuclear banana brian bradford. From birmingham alabama brain bradford?

akatherazor4

Established Member
Originally posted by blown331
Razor, you mentioned brian bradford. WOuld that be "the" brian bradford, aka nuclear banana brian bradford. From birmingham alabama brain bradford?

Yes Sir, He has a very impressive car.

white99gt

Established Member
Originally posted by akatherazor4
Yes Sir, He has a very impressive car.

Yes he does.Seen him drive it (5 speed at the time) to atlanta for a dyno day a few years ago.And put down 550+ on pump gas.That car is awesome.:beer:

blown331

Established Member
He makes aoubt 630 now with a 75 shot. Damn I live in birmingham and was just surprised that he was known as far away as virginia. Wow, the nuclear banana really is popular. Go to bham racing.com if you want to see some good strip videos of his car.

white99gt

Established Member
Originally posted by OCMike
Just curious...have you considered the ATI??? The intercooled Procharger or F1??? 600+ RWHP is very reasonable with H/C and ATI setup.

(Can we say "TRACTION"???)

We are talking about a little s trim(900 cfm).Any one can make 600rwhp with a f1(1500+cfm).

Users who are viewing this thread