Anyone in the guard?

sixt5

Established Member
im thinking about joining, possibly going active. any stories to hear? do's and donts? im thinking about light vehicle mechanic.

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
Just like anywhere you go there will shitbags and people you would trust to watch your back. I would look if there are any units close to you that have that MOS. You could be looking at a very long drive for drill. The recruiter can tell you that. I dont know what the bonus situation is currently like but I know it has gone down dramatically. So dont be expecting a very big bonus if any. If you decide to go guard, I would utilize the GI Bill and tuition assistance while you are drilling. You can get plenty of college knocked out (that is paid for) which could set you up for a solid job in the future. I know nothing about that MOS so I cant really offer you any other advice.

I would do the same thing If I had the chance to redo it though. The guys in my unit are great for the most part.

TrevorR90

Banned
I recommend the guard, I made the mistake of doing active instead of guard.. Active to me is for people who want to make a career out of it.. I wanted to go to school and joined for the GI Bill but turns out that reserves or guard has a non deployment status so that you can go to school.

Smileyboy

2V guy
Established Member
I would say look at either guard or reserves. Guard get called up sometimes in the event of natural disasters. Reserves are less likely but we have been put on alert before.

I recommend the guard, I made the mistake of doing active instead of guard.. Active to me is for people who want to make a career out of it.. I wanted to go to school and joined for the GI Bill but turns out that reserves or guard has a non deployment status so that you can go to school.

Not trying to start an argument, and im not necessarily directing this at you but that is complete BS. When a person enters the military, if your unit gets called up then guess what, your going. Unless you have a ROTC contract or serious family issues you should be going. Tired of people who join the reserves, get on that status, and then get a free ride through college. They get out without ever actually doing anything in the military.:fm:

TrevorR90

Banned
I would say look at either guard or reserves. Guard get called up sometimes in the event of natural disasters. Reserves are less likely but we have been put on alert before.

Not trying to start an argument, and im not necessarily directing this at you but that is complete BS. When a person enters the military, if your unit gets called up then guess what, your going. Unless you have a ROTC contract or serious family issues you should be going. Tired of people who join the reserves, get on that status, and then get a free ride through college. They get out without ever actually doing anything in the military.:fm:

Complete bullshit? There is such thing as non deployable status, you yourself just said how...

TrevorR90

Banned

I think you thought that I meant that all national guard and reserves have non deployable status...... Maybe I should of reworded it and say that you can get non deployable status, I am well aware of national guard and reserves deploying, I'm in Afghanistan and see alot of reserves and guard folks...

D's01Snake

Motor City Muscle
Established Member
The stig is NJANG. But i wont hold it against him. There is a song by dos gringos called "you gotta be in the guard to say ****"....its such a true song.

94five0

*Click*
Established Member
Alabama National Guard. Just finished BCT at Fort Sill, Ok on 29 Jan. And am presently in georgia @ fort Gordon.(25 series) and report back to my unit after MOSQ.

Check it out see what you like or are interested in. worst thing that can happen is they'll say NO.

THE_STIG

Established Member
I'm in the Air Guard and I freaking love it. D's01Snake thank you for not holding it against me. I have an awesome base and all the people there are the best people I could ask to work with. If you have any questions please by all means PM me.

1EVILZ

Established Member
Guard is a good way to start off, i've sen alot of guard members go active after a couple of years in the guard. I was in the guard 8yrs. I was a fuel and electrical repair(63g10) on starters, alt, fuel injectors, etc... If you go with a light wheel mechanic you will probably go to ait in aberdeen proving grounds in maryland. I went through basic and ait in 1998. Now I work for GDLS on the stryker.

Screamin03Cobra

formerly 'pony2000gt'
Established Member
I've done active duty and now I am in the guard. I liked my time on active but long term wasn't for me. I am not sure what the BS factor will be like as we have a new 1SG and CO. Drill last month was ridiculous..standing outside for a good 12 hours in low 30 degree weather. I've been deployed with the guard too and probably will be again as I have another 4 years left on my contract. I am considering switching over to Air Guard if it is possible..I hear great things about it from people that are in it. Good luck in whatever you choose

Ironhand

Banned
Im actually a 91B All Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic. Did AIT in Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD. Honor Graduate(97.1 GPA) It was formally the 63B But it got changed in October last year while I was in AIT. It's a fun gig. But just so you know, if you ever get deployed you may go as something other then your MOS. I'm currently a 11B due to the job. I dont touch vehicles unless it's an emergency.

.n0b.

moar powa
Established Member
I am looking at going in the Reserves of the USMC here pretty shortly, just for the expierence. As of now I dont want a career out of it

Users who are viewing this thread