Anyone here with military background

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Good God how is that even possible. Reguardless that is certainly not the norm.

Yeah, i can probably tell you exactly how thats possible, probably some guy who got pulled off IRR after being out for 3 years living a sedentary lifestyle. Funny thing is we probably would need to be pulling people off IRR at all if all the other 3 branches did more than 6 months at a time downrange.....

2004mmmach1

On The Road Course
Established Member
Thanks guys here's the thing I was so close to joining the Air Force because I hear so much good things about it like they get paid more and better living. I had the application ready, but when the recruiter asked about my background( I had a felony when I was a juvenile)he told me I can't do any of the jobs I wanted such as MP or a helicopter pilot or even work on them. That really discouraged me, thought to myself why would I want to get stuck doing something I don't like for 4 years. But then I talked to an army recruiter and it seemed like he was really trying to help me out with my situation I still couldn't go for MP because of my record but I found another job that I feel is interesting Infantry.And while im in the army try to go to school and get an AA in criminal justice I already turned in my app and I got the asvab on wensday. any suggestings on what to prepare for in the test and in boot camp ? and how is living away from home like ? do any of you guys regret joining ?

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
^ All military gets paid the same in the paygrades/Years in service. Airforce damn sure lives better than us Army guys but whatever :shrug: Best thing you can do to prepare for basic is starting working out, running, pushups, and situps mainly. It'll really help you in the long run, you'll be out there when everyone else is sucking air. Never hurts to stand out in that aspect.

Basic isnt as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Just keep your head up and you'll be fine! Goodluck man, Im not gonna say I love the Army but its been a solid income for me and my faimly, even if I only get to see them a year at a time lol :beer:

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Yeah I regret ever joining the ARMY! I wish I had just joined the Navy first and not have wasted 2 years of my life. That shit isnt for me...Hooah KILL KILL KILL. EOD is much more interesting in the Navy and the Navy bases are in much better places than Army bases. ...:beer:

Last edited:

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
EOD is much more interesting in the Navy and the Navy bases are in much better places than Army bases. ...:beer:

What kind of differences are we talking about here? I'm thinking of EOD but for the Air force. Is it just the type of terrain you work on (such as looking for underwater mines compared to vbied),?

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
What kind of differences are we talking about here? I'm thinking of EOD but for the Air force. Is it just the type of terrain you work on (such as looking for underwater mines compared to vbied),?

I used EOD in a very broad way. I do EOD but not an EOD as in on an EOD team. I picked my rate "mineman" as a source rating to actually go EOD but enjoyed what I was doing. Actual EOD would be very interesting and something for the go getter and one who likes to work out a pretty good bit. I cant speak for the Airforce even though I was an Airforce brat at Eglin. If I had to do it all over again I might have gone Airforce as long as I could have done something interesting due to the quality of life. I also would have picked something that would have benifited me when I got out of the Military which I did not do. You think 20 years is along time away...but it will come. :-D

FEARED

Established Member
NAVY is ok, But the chairforce has better quality of life. When they go on deployments they get nice places to sleep and eat, we (the navy) get a rack on a ship, or a shed in the desert.

Any branch you choose has a security job rating, and it will help with your transition into becoming a police officer. There are actually programs the NAVY has with doing that exact thing.

MPRT_H8R

Established Member
^ All military gets paid the same in the paygrades/Years in service. Airforce damn sure lives better than us Army guys but whatever :shrug: Best thing you can do to prepare for basic is starting working out, running, pushups, and situps mainly. It'll really help you in the long run, you'll be out there when everyone else is sucking air. Never hurts to stand out in that aspect.

Basic isnt as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Just keep your head up and you'll be fine! Goodluck man, Im not gonna say I love the Army but its been a solid income for me and my faimly, even if I only get to see them a year at a time lol :beer:

all military do not get paid the same. ONLY base pay is the same. some jobs get incentive pay, flight pay, ect. and even more housing allowance if you have dependents.
he should look into some jobs that are offering bonus pay for enlisting and reenlisting, hazard pay or assignment pay or even flight pay.

Last edited:

AlanSVT

Established Member
EOD in the army is 89D.....So as of right now you are looking at a

MOS 2YR-LEVEL 3YR-LEVEL 4YR-LEVEL 5YR-LEVEL 6YR-LEVEL
89D $0 $0 $12000 $16000 $20000

Now all that can change it all depends on whats going on that day.... But the only advice I can give you for the army....Maybe military....Do not believe everything they say at the meps station....If you want a job fight for it do not take there word on anything......

Now first off make sure you have a GT score of 110 or higher ....with a 110 or higher you can have any job in the army.......

AlanSVT

Established Member
all military do not get paid the same. ONLY base pay is the same. some jobs get incentive pay, flight pay, ect. and even more housing allowance if you have dependents.
he should look into some jobs that are offering bonus pay for enlisting and reenlisting, hazard pay or assignment pay or even flight pay.

Lets see I am a E6 with 6 years
I get BAH with 1 dependent.
I get BAS for food
I get haz pay for MFF
I get Special duty pay

once a year you get a clothing allowance

what else.....

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member

Wow really? What I was saying is an E7 in the Air Force will get paid the exact same as an E7 in the Army. Why would you go into incentive pay and shit like that? The guys talking about join the infantry...not Airbourne, Air Assault Ranger...your taking things extremly to litteral.

MPRT_H8R

Established Member
Wow really? What I was saying is an E7 in the Air Force will get paid the exact same as an E7 in the Army. Why would you go into incentive pay and shit like that? The guys talking about join the infantry...not Airbourne, Air Assault Ranger...your taking things extremly to litteral.

no i wasnt i was just tryng to get him to look into jobs that could make him more money every month thats all.

MPRT_H8R

Established Member
Lets see I am a E6 with 6 years
I get BAH with 1 dependent.
I get BAS for food
I get haz pay for MFF
I get Special duty pay

once a year you get a clothing allowance

what else.....

not everyone gets SDAP, HAZ Duty PAY, CEFIP or enlistment/reenlistment bonuses

an E-6 with 6 years could get
base pay
BAH single
and BAS

thats a huge difference in monthly pay. and not to mention the reenlistment bonus every Oct that some people will never get because their job isnt "Critical".

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I know I am banking like a MOFO rite now:beer:

sea pay over 7 years
haz pay
half per diem
base pay E6 over 16
BAH for Cali
tax free

...and single....aluminator and 3.4 whipple..I love deployments:D

Last edited:

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
I know I am banking like a MOFO rite now:beer:

sea pay over 7 years
haz pay
half per diem
base pay E6 over 16
BAH for Cali
tax free

...and single....aluminator and 3.4 whipple..I love deployments:D

This is the one thing that sucks. If you put your stuff in storage and are stationed somewhere like me (BAH is 750ish) I get "screwed", on the deployments compared to people that are stationed in Cali. Eh But it's like everything in ther military, at some point you will be the one getting the benefits, while someone esle is getting screwed.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
This is the one thing that sucks. If you put your stuff in storage and are stationed somewhere like me (BAH is 750ish) I get "screwed", on the deployments compared to people that are stationed in Cali. Eh But it's like everything in ther military, at some point you will be the one getting the benefits, while someone esle is getting screwed.

Thats one thing im looking foward to. Basepay, Germany BAH w/ dependents 1255 OHA and the other allowance is like 837. PLUS cola right now is at 15 dollars a day...do were looking at another 400 a month there. And deploying to afghanistan? 225 faimly sep. 200 hazardous pay, and theres something else I cant remember what else but its around 200 extra dollars too....I'll be big balling! Already got a built 8.8 in mind and a BIG blower loL!

AlanSVT

Established Member
Thats one thing im looking foward to. Basepay, Germany BAH w/ dependents 1255 OHA and the other allowance is like 837. PLUS cola right now is at 15 dollars a day...do were looking at another 400 a month there. And deploying to afghanistan? 225 faimly sep. 200 hazardous pay, and theres something else I cant remember what else but its around 200 extra dollars too....I'll be big balling! Already got a built 8.8 in mind and a BIG blower loL!

do not forget your $3 bucks a day for being in country ^^ it adds up..

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
to the op, dont let them talk u out of anything. i did my 4 yrs active duty in the marine corps as a grunt and for the most part i had some good times. i must be honest though, some of the times my platoon was so miserable, we welcomed a bullet, but i must also state that if not for that misery, i wouldnt be the man that i am today. after 3 tours in the sand box, my police department was happy to pick me up. pm me if u want to speak in more depth.

Users who are viewing this thread