Anyone here race with a T5?

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
My t45 is not shifting so well so my plan is to replace it with another t45 but the overdrive 5th gear in the t45 has me thinking twice.

I've got a QuickTime bell on the car now so swapping to a T5 with a road race fifth gear seems like the better choice. Rwtq on my car is only 326 so I'm not going berserk on it by any means.

Anyone here road race a T5? Good bad or ugly?

I've read that 3rd gear is the main weakness due to it being unsupported, also the trans has to have syncros since I'm racing in American Iron.

Any info is appreciated. Or if you know where to find a 99-04 t5 with the electric speedo please let me know.

Jcobra03

import reaper
Established Member
t45 is the better trans . with the proper mods it will take a ton more abuse and shift at very high rpm.

iismet

Established Member
I had one built by Levy Racing. Magnesium case with Astro guts - weighs 67 lbs. It is going behind a 474 hp 331 which I am installing in an AC replica. We are building for the track - I am a little worried it will hold. The builder said they put them behind 600 hp Mustangs. We'll see.

chr

wheelhopper

Established Member
I run a rebuilt T5 in my '90 GT. Basically a bolt on motor making 265rwhp and 300 torque. All gears in the trans are stock except for the .80 5th gear. I have been running this way for nearly 2 years in TT problem free. I have been very happy with it.

MFE

Established Member
I run T5's in mine. Plural, because I always have one waiting under my workbench for when I blow 3rd gear again in whichever one is in the car.

My car weighs maybe 3450 with me in it, and runs 260 RWHP and 310 RWTQ. I don't bang shifts. I've run parts store ATF, Synchromesh, and Redline MTL and no matter what, eventually 3rd gear takes a shit, even when running "super-alloy" gearsets. I don't understand what the problem is, because I've talked to seasoned A-Sedan racers who've had single T5's last 5 seasons or more. Not me.

My car is set up for the T5 though, and I don't want the hassle of a TKO-type swap, so my next move is Astro A5 internals, or maybe a complete Astro box. People still manage to break them, but with far less frequency. And if you talk to people who really know their shit, and know that there's only one shop in the country with the tooling required to make gears like Gforce and Astro use, and have installed and used them from both companies, you learn that the gears Astro specs work better/live longer than the gears Gforce specs from the same gear manufacturer.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Yeah I hear you on that Fraser. My plan is to buy two and haul a spare with me to the track. I've found two for sale just gotta get the car sponsor to give me the ok on them, I'm gonna ask her again here before bedtime.

Add a astro RR fifth gear and pray for third gear every time.

Users who are viewing this thread