Anyone having shifting problems?

Whippled3v

Established Member
Just installed some rear springs and LCA's last night as well as a barton two post bracket to tighten up the stock shifter so of course had to take it out for a couple test hits. Was very impressed as there hasn't been an ounce of wheel hop yet but 2 out of 4 times 2nd gear did not want to lock in at 7k+ shifts. The 2-3 shift is beautiful and much quicker now with the bracket.
At first I blamed myself and thought I was somehow missing 2nd, but with further driving today, it happened a few more times. I even slowed down the movements to make 110% sure the clutch was all the way to the floor. It doesn't do this everytime, a couple times it slid right into 2nd.
I don't think it's related to the bracket as I vaguely remember this happening in the past but I didn't think much of it. However, it very well could be related to the bracket, the car doesn't get driven like this much and especially hasn't seen too many 7k+ 1-2 bangs in its life.

senderofan

Established Member
It's a fairly common problem....your bracket may help a little....the BlowFish Tranny Fix bracket helps a fair amount:

https://www.blowfishracing.com/driv...6gtboss-isolated-shifter-support-bracket.html

But ultimately it may require a clutch upgrade. I've got an MGW shifter, BF tranny fix bracket, Whiteline stiffener and I will still get a lock out from time to time. Haven't read many complaints from guys who have upgraded their clutches.

If you do an internet search...you'll find many threads on high rpm lockout with the MT-82 tranny.

FKing1

Established Member
I have Barton with the post fix and Blowfish bracket. It has helped with lockout although haven't been to the strip yet with the Blowfish.
I would get a Blowfish bracket with their upgrade fix.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
In my car it only seems to happen if I'm spinning in 1st hard and go to 2nd at above 7200.... 3rd will block me if I take second right to 7500 and am not very deliberate with the shift. I changed the trans fluid and it shifts smoother over all, but still will lock out in those situations. I have learned to avoid those situations and I can even power shift if I go to the drag strip with no issues. The key is to learn what seems to bring it on in your car. I feel pretty luck as I can avoid it now. A buddies Boss had the issue worse. He sold the car eventually.

Last edited:

86Fbody

Established Member
High RPM lockouts due to misalignment will be fixed by a bracket, the Blowfish or the MGW race being the two that I would think would work the best. You may though be experiencing high RPM lockout due to the shitty clutch/pressure plate/etc. which can only be fixed by replacing those items. Unfortunately since the lockout could be due to both issues you may end up spending money on both fixes to actually resolve the issue completely.

Users who are viewing this thread