Anyone have problems with harsh 1st gear with spec 3 clutch?

BlownShelby10

Established Member
Anyone have problems with harsh 1st gear with spec 3 clutch? When i let out there is no feathering it for a smooth take out, its kinda like it just wants to grab and buck till i get out of first gear then the rest of the gears are fine...any help would be great. THanks guys

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Installed one in my 04 Cobra many years ago and hated everything about it. It was either in or out no feathering for daily driver comfort.

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
Not at all. You just have to learn some muscle memory with that clutch so you don't burn up the clutch. It took me about 30 mins to get used to it.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Quick Story, nothing crazy. I got the Spec3+ installed in my 2.2 KB 04 and let a friend drive it. Now I had to get use to it, still never enjoyed the car again afterwards. I should have had more sense. So it was a thing whenever someone did something right I would say Get it Get it. So we're at an intersection and he manages to let the clutch out pretty smoothly and I said Get it Get it. Dumb.....he dumped it a gassed it and we got completely sideways in the intersection and we both thought we were gonna die. I drove the rest of the way home....he just wasn't ready. We laugh about it....still.

Last edited:

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I've got the 3+. Same deal in first. Even worse once the clutch gets some heat in it. Every once in while I can get her moving smoothly, but 9/10 times she's got some chatter. If I get stopped on a hill and some jackass stops on my bumper, I basically have to dump it and bark the tires to keep from rolling back and/or chattering the mirrors off the car.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I used to think it was partially my fault for opting for the billet flywheel and pressure plate. Goal was to reduce excess mass from the driveline for some "free" horsepowers. lol

Roush6018

Established Member
hey i am glad you asked this question. there are lots of people that have run this clutch. I heard it was great, and installed one myself. i had a centerforce that was modified, then installed the Spec 3plus. the clutch was very on/off and it also had some very bad clutch chatter when driving at slow speeds. i am able to agree with all the comments about the nature of this clutch, they made me laugh. the concern about rattling the mirrors off is real...

my problem was solved when i spent alot for a mcleod RXT and i was able to get it installed correctly on my Spec billet flywheel. this new clutch is much lighter to operate and i dont fear getting stuck in traffic. i can drive in sandals too if i need to move the car quickly.

my clutch installer did change out my clutch quadrant, i had a good one i thought it was the Max motorsports. i think he installed a steeda quadrant, i would need to double check. he said the contact with the cable was missing ,like an air gap, and he installed a better quadrant with more surface area that contacted the clutch cable. i think you could benefit from installing the correct style clutch quadrant.

Users who are viewing this thread