Anyone have issue with boost getting into heat exchanger?

buexdreux

Established Member
I have a 2.3L TVS blower with the 3.2" pulley and 4lb lower (making approx. 19 psi) on my '04 and when I go to road courses I end up blowing the seal on my expansion tank on my heat exchanger. I had the o rings changed out with upgraded ones, added the twin spal cooling fans to my AFCO dual pass HE, put a new HE pump on and changed out the tank cap and I'm still running into the issue of the cap popping the seal under hard acceleration. The seal pops only after the engine is nice and warm and under full boost on the track, but it never happens on the street. I know I push the car to it's limits when I'm on the track, but this is BS as I can't even go a full lap before I'm spraying my windshield with coolant. I've been told that I'm running too much boost for this application; could that be the case? If so, what pulley combo should I run to keep this crap from happening and ruining yet another track day? Thanks for all input

rymax101

Established Member
Maybe the coolant is just heating up that much and has no where to go? Maybe vent it like the trunk tanks

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

buexdreux

Established Member
The S/C does get much hotter than the engine does hence my putting the fans on the HE. How are the trunk tanks vented? I'm already running a rear diff cooler in the trunk, so I wonder if the trunk tank would even fir

rymax101

Established Member
Look up brass tank breather. This is what's on my trunk tank. You could easily add it to any aluminum tank. It will give the pressure a way out other than blowing orings.
eb86ce95d58d81ae7e78e040bf6f59cc.jpg

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Four Door SVT

Established Member
I've never seen that, your intercooler coolant is overheating, you do track days so I'm going to assume your not running straight water, check the pump isn't running backwards, air locked, restricted water lines. Please let everyone know what you find.

buexdreux

Established Member
Update:
I changed out my heat exchanger with an AFCO GT500 style dual pass with 10" fans. The coolant is markedly cooler than when I was running the regular AFCO dual pass with the 8" fans. Haven't had a track da yet, but when I do I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I'm planning on adding the brass tanks breather to the coolant reservoir as an added precaution. Let's all hope for the best.

BoostedSVT03

Established Member
FWIW, I have a 2.3TVS and 2.8 upper and ran into a similar situation. Turned out my intercooler pump was on its way out and not flowing as efficiently as it should. Short term fix was taking the cap off the motor and cleaning all of the brush debris out. I need to find one that turns faster or flows better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread