Anyone have experience with Scotts/Trugreen law service?

myersusaf

Go Hawks!
Established Member
Does anyone have any long term experience with these outfits? I am going to be renting my house out soon and i was curious if it would be worth the money to have the lawn treated periodically. Thanks!

Hone03

Established Member
In my opinion, run from Chemlawn . They were the absolute worst when I built my first home. Thought my newly laid sod was done for. As bad as their service was, their unrelenting phone calls were even worse.
Scotts started out fantastic, could not have been happier. As time went on though the yard started looking worse and worse. Finally fired them and went through several other companies and got very similar results. Went back to Scotts hoping for better results, but didn't get them in the end.
Over the years I have come to the conclusion the best results come from moving from company to company as they start to fall behind. Sad to say, but it seems to be the norm (at least here in Florida)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

myersusaf

Go Hawks!
Established Member
Thanks for the reply. It seems to be the same opinion just browsing online. I guess a lot of them are franchises and they just don't give a shit..

RussZTT

Established Member
I had them, they were pretty good. I thought it was little expensive but a buddy of mine works there, he said you only need to get it treated every quarter, not monthly. I was doing it monthly. Thinking of getting them again since I moved but defiantly only quarterly this time.

LSWon00

ATC ZTL
Established Member
Scotts helped me get my weeds under control. I now have few to no weeds both front and back. They come like clock work and the price is fair.

assasyn

Established Member
I had a bad experience with Scott's. they under delivered on services in the contract, the results for what I did get weren't as good as doing it myself with Scott's bagged products. When I quit them they continued to bill me for months. The only reason I didn't do it myself was because of a lack of time. I'd find a local company.

JerryC

Established Member
My problem with the big name guys is that they let everybody go in the off season. So every year you end with a "new" guy, "new" guy as in he just learned how to do the job.

The "I care about you and your lawn" level is pretty with these guys as they know no matter how well they do the job, they're gone at the end of the season.

One year I had this guy that never got off his cell, he was almost running behind the spreader with the to his ear. Oddly enough he was one of the better guys :)

Try finding a local service that works year round and keeps the same employees. In my case the cost was the same and the service was 10x better.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I've had Trugreen for almost 4 years now, they have done a great job preventing weeds and brown patch (big problem here in Houston). Before I picked them up my yard was pretty embarrassing, after about 6 months of Trugreen service it started turning around. They come out once every 2 months ($50) and guarantee their work so if you have an issue (stubborn weeds) they will come out again free of charge.

va boy

Established Member
I've had Trugreen for almost 4 years now, they have done a great job preventing weeds and brown patch (big problem here in Houston). Before I picked them up my yard was pretty embarrassing, after about 6 months of Trugreen service it started turning around. They come out once every 2 months ($50) and guarantee their work so if you have an issue (stubborn weeds) they will come out again free of charge.

This is who I go with also. Honestly, by the time you add up for fertilizer, lime, etc, its just about a wash, cost wise. I'm happy with my experience with Trugreen so far. The techs that come out are very friendly and if they have any "extra" services for sale, they just leave a flyer, I've never been hounded to pay or extra services as of yet.

GodStang

Established Member
I have Trugreen for two years and they were bad real bad! Lived in my house for about 4 yrs at the time of getting them. I got my yard looking decent and figured they just had to keep it up and I would be happy. Will after having them for two years almost all grass is dead and nothing but weeds. I have weeds that no one else in the neighborhood has. I think they planted weed seeds it looks so bad. Just my 2 cents

01GTB

Established Member
It's only going to be as good as the tech doing the applications. Some companies pay their sales personnel more than there spray techs. When you do that your techs are always looking for greener pastures. From my experience this is how it works.

Homeowner hires a company based on price. They do a fair job in the beginning but then the quality slips. Being at the low end of the price scale almost assures this.

Homeowner then hires another company that is in the same price range. Same story. Decent for a while, then disappointment.

Homeowner then ends up buying into sales pitch of the company they had to begin with. Cycle starts again.

If you do the math and come to the conclusion a company can do it for the same price as you could do it yourself, you have to ask how that's possible.

xtremeskime21

Established Member
I like to do it myself.....but your really know what chemicals you are dealing with and when to apply. It's cheaper that way, plus I get gratification out of the way my lawn looks knowing I did it.

ibleedblue65

Established Member
People have a little too high of expectations when hiring someone to take care of their fertilizing/ weed preventative services. The basics of preemergent before greenup, fertilize during green up, mid season, late season and the amounts are pretty basic and most of your major companies are aware of this. You will run into issues because of scheduling on when they apply the preemergent and first fertilizer but other than that, as long as they do the job, I would imagine they are all pretty similar. What they do is only a small fraction of what it takes to maintain a nice lawn. Mowing frequency and height are important as is proper watering.

I use trugreen currently. When I bought my home the Bermuda in the front was a mess. The first season you couldn't even tell if there was any Bermuda left. I thought I was going to have re sod. The lawn has done a complete 180 with hand weed pulling, proper watering and mowing and proper fertilization and weed control. I would do it myself but its much easier to let someone else deal with it. Mowing is enough work.

You do have to stay on top of them though. They have tried to bill me for an appointment where they didn't show up before and it was the first fertilization this season which is important. That kind of ticked me off but they came out next week while I was there and took care of it. Ill give my tech the benefit of a doubt he didn't try to screw me.

Last edited:

SpectorV

Established Member
i use trugreen, sure its not going to give you an amazing perfect lawn but for the money I like the results I get. I dont have the time/energy to do all the stuff they would and its rather cheap. I am sure every one is different, but overall I am happy with it. No weeds no real issues etc.

Users who are viewing this thread