anyone have experience with cutting carbon fiber?

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Just received a wave of trufiber parts but came across an issue with the strut tower covers. The covers cannot be put on with a strut tower brace. If I could cut off about an inch or so off of the inner side this could work. I bought a dremel with many blades and sanders. Tips anyone?

Here is how my car currently sits with trucarbon vents and mirror covers.
13632965095_1d4486ba31_c.jpg

coposrv

Established Member
I haven't tried cutting carbon fiber before but I have cut plenty of things with a dremel. I had an old (1990's) dremel that shit the bed about a year ago. Bought a new one and it lasted about 3 months. Don't know if I'm too rough on it or quality went to hell. I would try to get a hold of a band saw or something with a little more balls. Cut off wheel on a grinder. Something along those lines.

Deric

Established Member
You can cut cured carbon with a dremel and a cutting wheel just fine. You'll need the high rmp and wear goggles and something over your mouth. You dont want to breath carbon dust.

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
The dremel I bought is a high rpm one so hopefully the cuts will be clean enough to keep the clear nice and intact. Any thoughts on cutting or sanding with water? Is it safe to cut while water is pouring on it?

The Abyss

Established Member
I used to work on aircraft parts and had to cut the stuff. Wear goggles and a mask like it was mention above. When we cut it we would make a scribed line that we would follow and used a painters tape on the edge of it. Cured carbon fiber will sand too so if you're using a small angle grinder, such as a 90 degree pneumatic you can get sanding wheels too. The wheels work really well for a flat surface but they can cut really quickly too, so be careful. I don't think that water would hurt it but I've never tried it. We had a suction fan near where we sanded and cut things so maybe keep a shop-vac near by for easy cleanup. Measure twice, cut once and good luck!

P.S. Your car is gorgeous!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread