Anyone have any experience with Expeditions?

LongshotSVT

I piss excellence
Established Member
Thinking about picking up an 03-06 Expedition for my wife as her new DD. From a utility standpoint, it fits the bill. Big, roomy, fits the little one and the dogs with room to grow.

My question concerning it is in regards to the reliability and durability. It'll have to make a 1200 mile round trip about 4 times a year plus whatever else we throw at it. Little things to maintain it are expected, but is there anything to look out for? Any serious issues they are prone to?

Thanks!

DHG4410

Established Member
My fathers had for the past 7 years or so it has close to 101,000 miles on it and it has been all over the northeast for our soccer/hockey trips. It runs fine and he still drives it to work everyday and takes it to the dump on weekends. The mpg isn't as bad as most people think.

It's still the primary winter driver for the family.Ours isn't anything flashy as we got it brand new, but like I said its awsome in the snow/rain. It hasn't had any major problems, and a lot of the maitanance/problems we have is easy enough that my father has remidied it himself.

He says he will drive it into the dirt.

Its been in a few accidents where the other cars have gotten totaled and this thing is still running strong.

Good Luck with the deciding.

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
me and my ex use to have one and I loved it. but we split about 6 months after we got it so she ended up selling it so cant say anything on how long it would have lasted. but while we had it I loved how it drove and all the room we had in it. I keep trying to talk my new wife into one but she wants an edge.

freebass55

Established Member
We got ours new in '04, no problems with it except the rear a/c went out after the warranty expired. Other than that we love it. We take it to Vegas 3-4 times a year and it runs great. Recently we have been looking at getting a new Flex, but getting rid of the Expedition just doesn't seem smart right now. Good luck.

SlowSpecV

Established Member
My dad had 2 of them. He leased one and sold the other at 80k miles. I couldn't tell you the reliability, but when he had either, they both were excellent vehicles.

Storm_jordan

Established Member
just turned 250k, 5.4 ftmfw :banana: :pepper: :rockon:

a660ad7c5731.jpg

8e392202750f.jpg

oldmodman

Established Member
Get one now, while the 0% payments are available. Plus of course the 10K discounts. Or look at a low mile lease return.

Then once you get it put a 3.4 Whipple on it and really surprise the guy in the Vette.:burnout:

Black306

Established Member
I recently bought a Ford certified 2WD '05 EB (Eddie Bauer) Expedition. Loaded (leather, navigation, heated/cooled front seats, etc.) except for rear DVD (has a sunroof instead). Totally love it.

We bought one for several reasons. We have 2 boys. For long trips or trips requiring significant cargo (ie trips to Sam's Club), our Focus wasn't cuttin' the mustard. Also, every year I go to a car show down south (~450 miles each way), so it's nice having a tow rig. We passed on a 4WD since we wouldn't really use it. If we go to the snow, we have access to about 3 4WD trucks from family members. Plus, the 2WD model has a slightly higher towing capacity (8900lbs for 2WD, 8400lbs for 4WD). We were considering a V8 Explorer, but trailer rental places black list Explorers for some reason, even though they have a 7k towing capacity. Minivan was out cause my wife and I are just not minivan people.

My suggestion would be to get an '05 or '06. The '03 and '04 Expids have the 2V 4.6s and 5.4s, while '05 and '06 Expids only have the 3V 5.4. Now is a good time to buy Expids cause the resale values have taken a hit (in the buyers favor). You can find good deals for just under $20k. If you take your time, you can find one around $15k. Stay away from ones in the $10k range. Each one I saw in the $10k-13k range were junk.

There are 2 main issues I've read about '05 and '06 Expids (actually, F150s and other Fords with the 3V 5.4). First,the engine shakes when the truck is at dead idle. Touch the gas very lightly or turn on the AC and the vibration goes away. I hear there is a re-flash from the dealer that will take care of this. The other issue is a cam phaser problem. They can make a ticking sound. Haven't read about any failing completely destroying the engine or anything, it's just a annoying sound to deal with. Only fix is to replace the cam phasers.

Other not so serious issue is the illumination of interior switches going out. I replaced my driver's side door lock switch and sunroof switch cause they were not lighting up. They still functioned otherwise, but it bugged me not having them illuminate. This seems to be an issue with a lot of Ford trucks through.

Oh, another issue is with the sunroof. Apparently they are known to leak. But I hear that about a lot of different vehicles having that issue.

Last edited:

jfsram

Established Member
Hopefully mileage is a concern for you because as a daily driver you'll be pouring alot of fuel in it. As a secondary vehicle to carry lots of people, tow, vacation. For sure.

If it's JUST has to roll down the highway. The 4.6L is about 1mpg better but if you ever plan on using the trailer hitch. 5.4L. In fact the 4.6L is so gutless in town. It's borderline abuse just pulling away from a light at half throttle. You will be able to recognized used up ones. Their exhaust manifolds will be cracked.

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
We had an 02 Eddie Bauer edition 5.4L fully loaded with 4wheel drive, sunroof, leather, etc. etc.

Truck was GREAT. Super reliable and comfortable. I miss it all the time. It just turned 70k miles when gas prices sky rocketed a couple years ago. We were already in a bind financially and the added fuel expenses forced us to sell the Expedition. You dont even want to know what we GAVE that sucker away for :(

Had to downgrade to a 04 ZX5 Focus lol.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
I also had an 02 EB 5.4L. The only options I didn't have were 4WD, and reverse back up warning. It even had the EB premier package that included the bumpers painted the same color as the truck.

I loved that truck. The only problems i had with it were:
misfire (coil went out on the #4 cyl.)
Moonroof track needed to be replaced.

That was all. That thing ran like a champ all the time. When I got rid of it, there was roughly 60k miles on it.

My boss had an '03 that had a lot of little problems (interior stuff). His biggest issue was the rear end. The seals needed replacing in less than 30k miles. But that's all I know about it.

LongshotSVT

I piss excellence
Established Member
Hopefully mileage is a concern for you because as a daily driver you'll be pouring alot of fuel in it. As a secondary vehicle to carry lots of people, tow, vacation. For sure.

If it's JUST has to roll down the highway. The 4.6L is about 1mpg better but if you ever plan on using the trailer hitch. 5.4L. In fact the 4.6L is so gutless in town. It's borderline abuse just pulling away from a light at half throttle. You will be able to recognized used up ones. Their exhaust manifolds will be cracked.

I'm not overly concerned about the gas mileage. Primarily it will just be scooting around town on 2-4 mile trips and not even driven every day. My wife is a stay-at-home mom and part time photographer so she doesn't leave the house much. Her blazer she has now gets about 16mpg so It's not like we'll have to adjust very much.

I do plan to use the trailor hitch as I plan to pick up a trailer to take the Cobra to a few events and be able to haul the family at the same time so I think the 5.4 is the logical pick.

How obvious will these cracked manifolds be? I'm assuming that's something to look for? Is that a sign of over-heating?

ModularFan

Established Member
I am in the same boat, I am trying to decide if I want a 07 GT500 or to get either, a 05-06 Navigator Ultimate.

jfsram

Established Member
How obvious will these cracked manifolds be? I'm assuming that's something to look for? Is that a sign of over-heating?

Never actually seen one but heard enough to know there is a common problem.

Try an F150 forum with lots of membership. I don't remember which one it was but they have a huge following, just like Mustangs.

Users who are viewing this thread