Anyone have advice on using Turbo guards?

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
Anyone ever used these? Seems like a good way to pick up some power but I'm afraid of what might happen if I happen to drive down a dirt road or in a construction zone. Specifically I'm asking if I should have a concern about dust entering the turbo, dust fine enough to get past the screen. I live in Texas where there is a high possibility of this. Anyone have any insight? Thanks.

Richie

http://turbo-guard.com/buy-now/

Last edited:

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
Thanks for the feed back bud. Definitely more cost effective and seems like a better route, but specifically I'm asking about the fine dust that can get through the screen. Can it cause damage or am I worrying too much? Next time I will be more specific. Sorry to all. I edited my original post to reflect this.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
thought about one of them myself but my worry is a small bug or tiny rock gets in there can cause a lot of damage.

if ur at the track its a great idea but for street driving I'm not sure I wud take the risk but I see the Supra guys do it all the time with no issues

and I doubt u wud pick up any noticeable power

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
Yes, that's my concern as well, my turbos are high mounted, which puts the filters right behind the headlights which would seem to be good placement to keep crap out of the turbos but still, I'm concerned about it. Maybe not a bug but definitely that fine dust. I guess I will stay with the filters for now.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
I street drive all the time with no filters. I have put 2000 miles on already this year. My oil definitely needs frequent changes.

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
I street drive all the time with no filters. I have put 2000 miles on already this year. My oil definitely needs frequent changes.
Interesting. And you haven't noticed any problems other than the oil changes? How many miles total without filters?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Probably apples to oranges, but I ran a T trim open for a while because I didn't have a lot of room between the blower and radiator. I honestly don't know how many miles I put on. But it was like that for a few months. I never had any issues. And I didn't have to change the oil extra early or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread