Anyone has a Racing SIM set up?

mikecobra01

Established Member
That looks great!! How realistic is that set up?
It’s fairly realistic. The ergonomics of the set up aren’t perfect, which is why I’m looking to upgrade to a actual pre-built rig. Also needing something a bit more rigid. But it’s better than using a computer chair and desk, IMO.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I don’t see a shifter on your set up. Am I missing it?

Old picture, while I was waiting for it to come in. You can see the platform for it on the right side of the seat above the speaker.

I took out all the black handled screws and bolted everything together so it doesn't budge.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
When you own a racing simulator.
40-Year-OldVirginMoviePoster~2.jpeg

Squeezed out with help from the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
I have a G920 w/shifter. I've only used it for Xbox - Forza is atrocious with the wheel, but Project Cars2 and Assetto Corse are pretty good. I've got it mounted to a cheap Chinese stand, but it's better than the wobbly TV tray I had it on.

I'll be buying a brake pedal mod soon as the factory pedal has a very hard durometer rubber piece at the end of travel and I can never get 100% braking. Google it and you'll see this is a common complaint along with a number of options to fix it.

I really want to get a PC, especially since I recently saw someone made my local track (High Plains) in Assetto Corse. I also saw someone building another local track but I think that was on rfactor.

At some point after the PC build up, I'll go with a Fanatec setup as they are far superior to the Logitech system. I just have to make sure I'm into this sim racing thing before I go for the expensive equipment.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have a G920 w/shifter. I've only used it for Xbox - Forza is atrocious with the wheel, but Project Cars2 and Assetto Corse are pretty good. I've got it mounted to a cheap Chinese stand, but it's better than the wobbly TV tray I had it on.

I'll be buying a brake pedal mod soon as the factory pedal has a very hard durometer rubber piece at the end of travel and I can never get 100% braking. Google it and you'll see this is a common complaint along with a number of options to fix it.

I really want to get a PC, especially since I recently saw someone made my local track (High Plains) in Assetto Corse. I also saw someone building another local track but I think that was on rfactor.

At some point after the PC build up, I'll go with a Fanatec setup as they are far superior to the Logitech system. I just have to make sure I'm into this sim racing thing before I go for the expensive equipment.

Ah, High Plains. Beautiful track.

I drove out ion 2018 to do a NASA weekend. Second full lap around the track I hit the brakes before turn 4, turned in, and the sidewall of my tire gave out and lost all air pressure. Limped it around to the pit out. There was a Hoosier truck there, but didn't carry 315/30-18s...so I loaded back up and drove home haha

Definitely plan on getting back out there soon!

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Update.

Replaced my old cockpit with a new Next Level Racing one, big improvement. I was getting too much flex using my Fanatec DD2 wheel base. Also gives a lot more customization options. Still running the same 55 or 60" monitor. Either going to go with a 49" curved Samsung, with a 27" mounted above at a 45 degree angle for the leaderboard/etc...or triples with the single mounted above; haven't decided yet. Unfortunately it's not something you can go try any where before spending the $2k to do it.

I thought about going VR, tried it once...wasn't a fan. I'm sure you can get the visual adjustments calibrated so it's more life-like as far as wide angled vision, but to me it felt like with my head straight, it was tunnel vision and didn't represent what I could see in real life without moving my head around. I also worry about having to wear it on my head for any kind of extended amount of time.

I also jumped up to a gaming PC so I could play the Assetto Corsa online with mods. I initially bought it because a friend of mine told me the new Ozark International Raceway was on the game so I wanted to get some practice with the blind corners before hand. Then once I got it, I realized that just about every track I'll race at regularly is available, so double win for me!

Still getting the wheel, brakes and car set up how I feel more comfortable; there's just not enough time in the day, especially with a bunch of kiddos running around wanting/needing my attention.

I did sign up for iRacing and buy a bunch of tracks/cars. I probably won't get into a league or do any consistent races until my actual season is over. Sure, I love running all of the high profile tracks and such on there in whatever cars, but in reality I feel like I can take away more if I drive on tracks that I will actually be on, in a car that is very comparable to mine (all the way down to the power curves).

Wire management hooks and a button box are on the way to finish up the current setup. Next step will be deciding on whatever monitor setup I end up going with. If anyone has tried both (49" vs 3 trips) I'd be interested to hear your comparison and why you ultimately went the way you did.

Attachments

• 20220701_065554.jpg
    20220701_065554.jpg
    477.4 KB · Views: 99

jessie_sanders

Established Member
Right now I have a th8a shifter, t3pa pedals and a tx Ferrari 458 wheel/base with a garbage ebay rig. Looking to upgrade the rig and definitely the wheel.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Right now I have a th8a shifter, t3pa pedals and a tx Ferrari 458 wheel/base with a garbage ebay rig. Looking to upgrade the rig and definitely the wheel.

I couldn't be happier with my Fanatec setup. If you wanted to save a few bucks, the CSL DD looks to be a great alternative.

jessie_sanders

Established Member
I couldn't be happier with my Fanatec setup. If you wanted to save a few bucks, the CSL DD looks to be a great alternative.
Last I looked fanatec was impossible to get ahold of. Is that still the case? I've been eyeing that csl wheel too. I want to get the rig sorted before I buy another wheel.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Last I looked fanatec was impossible to get ahold of. Is that still the case? I've been eyeing that csl wheel too. I want to get the rig sorted before I buy another wheel.

They randomly come in and out of stock. You can typically buy one on eBay for the same price as a a new one, and if you're lucky it's already state-side.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I'm trying to get a Fanatec also but looking at them they are always out of stock. May have to try to find one on Ebay if that is the best place to get one sooner. I know the Fanatecs are the way to go so I don't even want to waste my money on any other rig. Also, they are releasing, or have released a PS5 GT7 version that looks fairly affordable so I think I'm gonna try to find one of those unless a better deal on one comes around.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm trying to get a Fanatec also but looking at them they are always out of stock. May have to try to find one on Ebay if that is the best place to get one sooner. I know the Fanatecs are the way to go so I don't even want to waste my money on any other rig. Also, they are releasing, or have released a PS5 GT7 version that looks fairly affordable so I think I'm gonna try to find one of those unless a better deal on one comes around.

The Simcube stuff is solid too.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
The Simcube stuff is solid too.

I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

After playing GT7 for some time now since its release and always having played Gran Turismo on a controller and still managing to be pretty good, I realized I need to switch to a wheel because of how far they have come since I last owned one like 20 years ago. I used it on Gran Turismo maybe once or twice and it was so awful and numb feeling back then that I went back to a controller permanently and never considered a wheel again lol. The game is a blast even though it isn't like some of the actual sim racers out there that a wheel would make it even more enjoyable.

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
Since I last posted, I too have upgraded a bit. I run VR (Reverb G2) and absolutely love it (even tho it seems I have random minor issues that need tweaking). To me, it’s similar to wearing a helmet (even the heat). I wanted it as immersive as I could get it within reason so with VR, my old racing belts from the race car, as well as me adding tactile transducers soon should round out the rig pretty good.

I’m running the Fanatec Clubsport wheelbase but plan on upgrading to a DD, likely Simicube. Inverted V3 pedals are solid enough for me right now.

I jumped into iRacing in Jan but I’m currently taking a break. I’m really enjoying Assetto Corsa mods, running my home tracks (High Plains and Pueblo Motorsports Park), as well as the Pikes Peak Hill Climb. I also really like Automobilista2 cause it looks stunning in VR.

Hit me up if you wanna run some laps for fun - I ain’t fast, but I do try to race clean.

Attachments

• B8141C19-FF4C-40AF-9506-C8377399E9A4.jpeg
    B8141C19-FF4C-40AF-9506-C8377399E9A4.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 706EC9B9-3446-488B-9F78-621676936754.jpeg
    706EC9B9-3446-488B-9F78-621676936754.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
why do I come into threads like this... was already thinking about finding a decent wheel for the xbox and forza. A rig would have to be easy to fold up and move or something though as it would have to be moved in and out of the living room

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
why do I come into threads like this... was already thinking about finding a decent wheel for the xbox and forza. A rig would have to be easy to fold up and move or something though as it would have to be moved in and out of the living room

Here you go. Don't go overboard with your wheel, there will be a ton of flex.

Users who are viewing this thread