Anyone had a vehicle lemon lawed?

SHOdown220

Established Member
This is in NC, but I'm sure suggestions from anyone will be helpful.

My 2014 Harley is having continuous issues out of the ignition switch. It has left me stranded twice, and a third time I got it to the dealer before it could leave me stranded. It's always the ignition. First time the ignition switch assembly was replaced, second it was "repaired" and third time replaced again. Its currently in the shop for the third ignition. Total days out of service at this point are about 23 and counting. The bike is still under factory warranty is about 15 months old. 6k miles. I have contacted corporate about the issue but we have not discussed lemon law at this point.

I know it may be different for a motorcycle vs car but I'm just trying to figure out where to start. Should I contact the manufacture and mention the lemon law and see if they will settle with me? I have already asked if there was any way to get me on a different bike and they said "not through us, maybe you can trade in at a dealer". Or is it time to lawyer up? I would like to not spend a bunch of money out of pocket just to try and get out of the bike, if I was going to do that I would just trade it and put a down payment on a new one.

Thanks for any suggestions or help you may offer.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
This is in NC, but I'm sure suggestions from anyone will be helpful.

My 2014 Harley is having continuous issues out of the ignition switch. It has left me stranded twice, and a third time I got it to the dealer before it could leave me stranded. It's always the ignition. First time the ignition switch assembly was replaced, second it was "repaired" and third time replaced again. Its currently in the shop for the third ignition. Total days out of service at this point are about 23 and counting. The bike is still under factory warranty is about 15 months old. 6k miles. I have contacted corporate about the issue but we have not discussed lemon law at this point.

I know it may be different for a motorcycle vs car but I'm just trying to figure out where to start. Should I contact the manufacture and mention the lemon law and see if they will settle with me? I have already asked if there was any way to get me on a different bike and they said "not through us, maybe you can trade in at a dealer". Or is it time to lawyer up? I would like to not spend a bunch of money out of pocket just to try and get out of the bike, if I was going to do that I would just trade it and put a down payment on a new one.

Thanks for any suggestions or help you may offer.

After all the issues, would you buy another Harley?

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
I lemoned my '13 gt500. The clutch went out with 150 miles on the car. Was getting on the freeway normal driving with my 3 kids. It took 3 weeks to fix. At about 500 miles the rear started making a loud whine. The dealer took another 3 weeks to fix it and totally set the backlash wrong. The rear clunked really loud, when coming off and on the throttle. I could have easily had someone else locally correctly install a set of 3.73's and keep the car, but at that point the dealership would not work with me, were generally being assholes, so I had a lawyer send ford a letter, and lemoned the car out. 5 months later some guy came and picked the car up and I got all my money back. The fact that the car was in the shop for more than 28 days in the first year of ownership is what qualified it, if I recall. There are very specific rules from state to state. If your case falls within the rules, then a simple lawyers letter is all it takes. And time. It took ford 5 months to give me my money

SHOdown220

Established Member
After all the issues, would you buy another Harley?

Yes I would. It's not my first one and the others have been 100% problem free for plenty of miles. I think this one has a big issue with the ignition it was a first year bike with a different ignition than any other bike harley sells. I think it's mostly just a design flaw.

straightliner1

Established Member
I lemon lawed my 2005 F250 PSD. I had multiple issues with the turbo and cooling systems. I personally called Ford Customer service and complained at the amount of time total the vehicle had been out of service of the course of ownership. As it turns out the 05-07 trucks were under serious government scrutiny and Ford was recalling a lot of these due to turbo issues. It took a bit of paperwork, many calls to Ford corporate to make it happen.

I would start by calling HD's customer service line and see where that takes you. Have your service records in front of you and total the days the bike has been out of service. If they refuse to work with you I would pay $100 and have a lemon law attorney give you a consult. They'll be able to advise yo uof your rights, and advise you where to go from there. Good luck!

Sapperstang

Established Member
I did with an 01 GT. That car had engine and transmission troubles among others. The real problem was the transmission (auto). The engine was replaced at <5000 miles and the transmission just never could be made to work right. That car spent a lot of time in the shop. At that time in the back of the owners manual there was contact information for the Disupute Settlement Board (DSB).

The dealer was giving me a lot of trouble by not actually fixing the car and not working with me so I contacted the DSB. I gathered up my documents and sent them a copy. They contacted the dealer to inform them I had contacted them. They served as a mediator between me and the dealership. The service manager at the dealership lied and told the DSB that I didn't bring the car in when I had and that I broke the car on purpose or some nonsense.

Eventually I did a conference call with the DSB members and they awarded in my favor. Ford bought the car back and I had two options: take a pay out of the payments I had made on the car up to that point or roll my loan into a new car. I took the second option and got a 03 GT that turned out to be trouble free for the most part.

The process was fairly simple. Be sure to keep all of your documentation. I don't know if the process is the same in your case.

lpheaven

Established Member
I used the lemon law in NJ for a Dodge Stealth back in 94 i believe, for faulty electronics that made the car useless. Paid a lawyer 150.00 and was offered a replacement or refund. I took the refund.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
The newer HD's are far more reliable than days of old. Why did you buy a Ford when people have had issues with theirs?

Good question. If my car had multiple same failures and wouldn't start, not sure if I'd trust Ford again. I haven't been in that situation, so that is why I've bought multiple Ford's.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
I bought a raptor shortly after my bad luck with the gt500. I couldn't be happier with the raptor. Two years of ownership and it has been an awesome truck.

I've considered another mustang and am sure I'll own another one soon

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Just found out they are more than likely going to buy back my wife's 2015 Edge Sport due to mold and mildew issues. It was Ford recall 15B11 and its looking like its going to fail every single test they have. This should be interesting.

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
I've had a friend and a co-worker who had similar issues. They both had to lawyer up in order to get their money back.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Thanks, I'm going to contact the manufacture first with all the paperwork in front of me and hopefully they will make it easy and settle. Otherwise I'll hire a lawyer. I don't see where they have much of an argument. If it's over the designated number of days (which it is) and all for the same repair it seems like it fits the bill for a lemon

Sapperstang

Established Member
Thanks, I'm going to contact the manufacture first with all the paperwork in front of me and hopefully they will make it easy and settle. Otherwise I'll hire a lawyer. I don't see where they have much of an argument. If it's over the designated number of days (which it is) and all for the same repair it seems like it fits the bill for a lemon

A wonder if a lawyer is even necessary. The issues I had with that 01 never required a lawyer.

byeofcr

Established Member
I was in NJ and had just bought my 2011. I had a long write up on it on here so ill spare the length. Essentially, when the mt82 was the hot issue, my car blew 1st, 2nd, and 4th (? i could be wrong it was long time ago on the exact details). I brought it in and ford had it for over 40 days. Waiting on parts, the techs havent worked on one yet yada yada. Got the car back and it blew again. ford had it for 20 something days and when i got it back it would grind going into gear or lock out. I got in touch with the one of those free lemon law places that only get paid if you win (payment is included from the manufacturer nothing out of pocket as long as you do your part and give them everything the lawyer asks for) I brought the car in at least 2-3 times and no one could give me an answer. A ford engineer came and looked the car over and went on a test drive with me and the tech. The car didnt go into gear multiple times with him in it. over the course of a year, it was back and forth with the lawyers and ford would not take the car back. I told them id gladly take another mustang, theyd still get my money but they wouldnt have it. In the end, an arbitrator decided a settlement and lawyer fees covered. some states are easier than others i guess.

Users who are viewing this thread