Anyone gone from a 350R to 2020 500?

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Been eyeing the new 500's pretty hard but most dealers within a few hours of me want $30k over. Ended up calling my local dealer and they have 2 remaining allocations that can be built to my specifications @$5k over. Really wanting to pull the trigger but wanted to get some insight, I'm currently driving an 18R. Have any of you guys gone from an R to a new 500? If so what are your thoughts on the swap?

conceptmachine

Established Member
This is my thought. I'm having a hard time deciding if I want the GT500. I have a 350R base model and I don't want to have 2 of these s550s mustang's and quite frankly don't want to pony up 50K more for it if I were to trade in the R. This is my situation for an MSRP '21 CFTP.
My biggest 'pro' for the purchase might be because of the reliability the GT500 might hold over the Rs FPC, even though I've had no problems so far.

The additional 400 lbs, mostly on the front end of the GT500 is my biggest con. With that much power and even more weight on the front end, your just not gonna get any traction on the street. So basically between the 2 cars, street performance is a wash stoplight to stoplight. The CFTP will smash the R on more wide open courses and the R should compete on tighter more technical courses. The GT500 will kill it on a drag strip. For the looks that are subjective, I'll give it to the R. Love the side vents and, I'm not that big of a fan of the GT500s front end, compared to the 350. The ultimate deciding factor might be how fun it is to drive, vs the R and I may piss off some people, but I'm thinking its not going to be as fun to drive. The stick is awesome in the 350. Stomping the gas and hitting the paddles just isnt as engaging. There is a reason the 350R got runner up to car of the year 2 times. I'm afraid the GT500 wont get the same accolades, but that's just my perspective. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. I'm still on the fence about getting the GT500 and actually thinking about the C8 Z06, if it doesn't get the FPC motor. I love the FPC, but i want a car to hold long term, without over fearing CEF.
As far as holding their value? None of them will and your R has probably already taken most of the depreciation. it will be more rare than a base GT500, so if that is what your after, I'd keep the GT350R
As you can see, I've thought a lot about this and am on the fence still. I'll have to make a decision once allocations for '21 start being ordered.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
I'm not going to comment on the R vs GT500 thing but I will comment on the ADM thing.

At this stage of 500 production if u can find a local dealer that can order your spec car for $5k over MSRP and u want a 500 I would go for it.

Now if u have a R currently I'm figuring u will want a CFTP car correct? I personally would not give up a R for a base 500.

So a CFTP car for $5k over MSRP in this market is decent. A CFTP car at $75-80+ MSRP with a $5k markup is nothing. Obviously it will be preferred to pay no markup but good luck with that at this moment.

I paid a small markup for my ZR1. Being in Canada and with the small # of ZR1s here I think everybody that bought one paid it. Didn't help that I decided I wanted one late and was lucky to find it new last July (dealer ordered allocation that didn't show up till October) I paid the markup to get it. However, when I bought my 09 Z06 new in 2010 I got it for CAN$30K off MSRP so I look at it as giving back some of the Z06 savings to get my ZR1.

Basically, if it's $5k adm for an ordered to your specs CFTP car......... DO IT!!!!!!!!!
You only live once.

Tony

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I had a GT350 that was all done up. I loved it. The only thing I wanted that it didn't have was excessive power.

The GT500 on its face is in a lot of ways very similar except when it comes to the drivetrain. Beneath the surface there is a host of updates that make it worth my while. Be it upgraded rotors, calipers, hubs, knuckles, dampers, carbon fiber driveshaft, beefier axles...I'm all in. A perfect match for the crazy power. And the DCT...all those complaining about it have likely never owned or driven a 2020 GT500 with one. Well, its good. Real good. If you're convinced that it isn't engaging or somehow lessens the driving experience, I'm convinced you've never driven a 2020 GT500.

Value comparison? The GT350R is a great car as is the regular GT350. I personally could give a shit about "accolades" or anything anyone else has to say about which one is "better." I see a car as a shell that isn't finished until you say it is. If you can buy a Base car, modify it for better performance, and save money over the cost of a CFTP car then fantastic - you're doing it right.

Life's short. If your standard is how a car potentially performs while living in a bubble you are just saving the whisker biscuit for somebody else. Ignore the peanut gallery and make it yours, whatever it is. And if you want more power, go with your gut and don't let anyone hold you back. Get it while you can.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
Lol “whisker biscuit”...How have i never heard that one??

OP I’ve not gone the exact route, but i did move from a 16 FBO GT >regular gt350 >ZLE, and i can say i am a fan of torque now. The 350 is my favorite looker, but I’m now a powertrain/chassis fan and am waiting to get my hands on a DCT 500...I’m undecided about it.

There was an exotics company bringing some cars to memphis and i was gonna sign up for a few GT3RS and GT500 laps, but they cancelled...so i will have to rely on anyone but speed phenom’s youtube videos vicariously.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
So I got to see a new 2020 in person over the weekend. They really are good looking cars, and this was a base no options car. I'm do for an oil change so I'll probably meet with the sales manager @ the dealership that has the allocations while I'm waiting and get some more info.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
I'm not going to comment on the R vs GT500 thing but I will comment on the ADM thing.

At this stage of 500 production if u can find a local dealer that can order your spec car for $5k over MSRP and u want a 500 I would go for it.

Now if u have a R currently I'm figuring u will want a CFTP car correct? I personally would not give up a R for a base 500.

So a CFTP car for $5k over MSRP in this market is decent. A CFTP car at $75-80+ MSRP with a $5k markup is nothing. Obviously it will be preferred to pay no markup but good luck with that at this moment.

I paid a small markup for my ZR1. Being in Canada and with the small # of ZR1s here I think everybody that bought one paid it. Didn't help that I decided I wanted one late and was lucky to find it new last July (dealer ordered allocation that didn't show up till October) I paid the markup to get it. However, when I bought my 09 Z06 new in 2010 I got it for CAN$30K off MSRP so I look at it as giving back some of the Z06 savings to get my ZR1.

Basically, if it's $5k adm for an ordered to your specs CFTP car......... DO IT!!!!!!!!!
You only live once.

Tony

The allocations are for non CFTP cars. The CFTP cars MSRP is around $95k I believe, so definitely not getting one anywhere near $75-$80k

Cman01

hello
Established Member
The allocations are for non CFTP cars. The CFTP cars MSRP is around $95k I believe, so definitely not getting one anywhere near $75-$80k

For some reason I was thinking a base car was around the $65-70k range which is why I thought the CFTP car was $75-80k.

I just built a CFTP car on Ford.com and it came out to $95,500k MSRP so add your dealer $5k markup yes I guess it's a $100k Mustang.

The member above and I had said it, you currently have a R and again I would not go R less to get a base 500 but again it all comes down to you and your financial situation. I would only let a R go if I can do a CFTP car but that's just me.

I actually almost bought a R last year new, was making arrangements to go see it then was told by the dealer that had the car a deposit was placed on it. I was holding out for a TP GT500 but I wanted to know all the info and when Ford had nothing for me to see AFA specs I found the new ZR1 that I jumped on and purchased it.

If you can swing it again whether it's the base or TP car paying an extra $5K to get either is nothing you're getting up there already in the $$$$$, 5K is chump change at this stage.

P5Boy

Established Member
Premium Member
Go for the GT500 in any trim. GT350s have the "Mustang World's Heart" b/c of the 1960s GT350s. Myself, I won't even get rid of my '13 GT500 for a GT350! The GT500 has always been the top of the food chain for Mustangs (when they are produced).

Imatk

Established Member
I don't own either... either :) But looking into getting the 350 and the oil consumption issues made me shy away and keep my current GT500, so I completely understand your point about the FPC.

But here's my take FWIW, if you have a 350R and you love the car... there's absolutely no rush for you.

You have an AWESOME car and no issues with it. I would just smile every day and drive that beautiful thing.

The GT500 isn't going anywhere. They'll make some next year and probably the year after that.

Always follows the same cycle. The first year there are ADMs. EVERYONE wants one and everyone that has one says it's the best car ever made.

The second year... less ADMs but maybe still a few (despite everyone saying there will ALWAYS be ADMs on "these cars).

The third year... no ADM and now you can get into a "used" GT500 for thousands off.

So if I were you... and I REALLY wanted a GT500, I'd wait until the hype died down and get one when people have cooled their jets a bit.... AND I'd love driving that 350R :)

fearthesnake

Established Member
If I were you I'd keep that R model.

You have a very unique Car with a purpose. Enjoy it and drive it like it's meant to be.
Like Imat stated above the 500s will be around a few years.

The 350R may be coming to an end.

fearthesnake

Established Member
They'll all be coming to an end soon. The GT500 looks to be a 3 yr run with the advent of the S650.
I guess it's already that time.

So does Ford make a profit in the end on a 3 year run for this GT500.

With all the R&D, Testing,Production costs will they make money on it?

Assume they are since they know it will only be a 3 year run. Does the MSRP price take all those associated costs into consideration?

Imatk

Established Member
They'll all be coming to an end soon. The GT500 looks to be a 3 yr run with the advent of the S650.

I'm sure the S650 will have a GT500 variant. Why wouldn't they? If it makes money they generally do it.

Either way in a couple years people will be selling their GT500 for the next newer thing... or they just get tired of it after the hype dies down.

So many threads of, "I'm never going to get rid of this car... it will be with me until the end."

And then a couple years later it's a different story because now there's something new.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I'm never said the S650 wouldn't have a GT500 variant. Note that historically though, that they are usually a few years after introduction of a given new chassis. In the context of the OP's post, it wouldn't seem as though he wants to wait another half decade.

Imatk

Established Member
I'm never said the S650 wouldn't have a GT500 variant. Note that historically though, that they are usually a few years after introduction of a given new chassis. In the context of the OP's post, it wouldn't seem as though he wants to wait another half decade.

Why would he have to wait 5 years? The ADM will drop off long before then.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Oye. You said...

"I'm sure the S650 will have a GT500 variant."

I followed with...

"I'm never said the S650 wouldn't have a GT500 variant. Note that historically though, that they are usually a few years after introduction of a given new chassis. In the context of the OP's post, it wouldn't seem as though he wants to wait another half decade."

That's it, plain and simple. I responded with a general timeline as to when a GT500 S650 may be available, that's all. What he waits for is completely up to him. As for ADM's, I agree, they eventually fall off. Not arguing that.

Users who are viewing this thread