Anyone fail a coyote connecting rod?

twistedneck

Established Member
If so how, can you post pics?

I've seen the most recent fail due to a hydraulic condition -piston full of fuel.

Ford racing told of a few early rod bolt failures on their very early Boss 302R -switched to ARP 2000 for the race car. Current Boss 302 still has a std high quality fastener same as the GT rod, not ARP 2000.

I've seen bent rods from seized cylinders caused by bent valves and debris from piston rings and lands fracturing, valves bending due to other fails. Melted holes in the piston allowing the rod to punch through.

But has anyone seen a connecting rod fail with a std. coyote where the rod was the root cause? I did hear one person bent a rod with a lot of boost, but I'm not sure how much boost and if the rod was the first thing that failed.

Thanks!

Crazed_RedNeck

Not a Four-6...
Established Member
Ive got a failed rod bottom end sitting in my garage, it broke in the middle twice....the piston still had part of the rod on it and the crank the same...the rest of the rod looks like someone beat it into the side of my block. I never boosted or sprayed my factory motor... My rev limiter was set to 7300 on a lund tune

Last edited:

twistedneck

Established Member
Damn! I wonder what seized it up like that. The peak stress on a rod is not in the middle between the beams its at the transitions between beam and the ends..

The bolts must be pretty good to hold up if it was a metal fatigue fail of the rod material.

They are designed for many bursts to 7300.. Because the stock motor if u miss a shift will quickly spin to that number. Sounds like the rod was defective from the manufacturing plant would you agree? I have accidentally buried my tach to 8000 many times and mine survived so I hope my set is defect free!!!!!!

Any pics?

Last edited:

twistedneck

Established Member
waking up this old thread.. any new rod failures in a coyote?

stories are the rods cant take more than 600 tq.

I'm pushing my stock gt rods to 7400 pretty frequently but that's with NA and no N20. wondering when i'll have to replaced them as a preventative measure.

Bring on all coyote failed rod stories!

Users who are viewing this thread