Anyone ever run Nitto NT01s in AX?

98cobraRx

98 Chrome Yellow
Established Member
Wondering if anyone here has used Nitto NT01s in AX? I have a 98 cobra with an 03 cobra IRS, H&R race springs and Koni sport single adjustables at all four corners. I would like to run these on the 17in 03 cobra rims I have. Was going to go with 275s. Any thoughts? Thanks.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
I think you will find these tires are not much quicker if not exactly the same performance as the hot street tires like the RE11 Kook RS3 and the Direzza.. This is particularly so if you are steering the car with the throttle, and not taking full advantage of the extra tenth of a tick in the lateral grip. NT-01/RA1/R888's are a much better track tire than an autocross tire, except on the very hottest of days, and even then these tires still behave more like a street tire than a real R compound tire like a Hoosier or V710 does..

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
The A6 is crack in rubber form. :) but it really depends on your driving style. If you are sliding the car around a lot, The A6 is probably not the right choice if you are looking for more than a few events of use. The R6 will last a little longer, but won't be as sticky. IMO the best performing autocross tire on a Mustang weighing 3400 pounds or more is the V710. V's resist the heat more than the hoosiers do, and will last way longer. They are more durable with regard to sliding.

A's are the fastest Dot tire out there, but they require precision from the driver to get the most from them. They don't like a car that is being over driven.....and most of the time, a Mustang needs to be over driven to get competitive results.

98cobraRx

98 Chrome Yellow
Established Member
Thanks Troy. This will be my first season on R compounds so I am sure anything will feel amazing. At this point I would like to have a tire that wears better and is a little more forgiving for the novice driver. I seems like the V710s would be a good pick. Thanks for the helpful advice.

01FR500

HPDE
Established Member
We have a guy in the Arkansas region with a GT500 on NT-01 tires. I think he runs 275 width all around on some lightweight 18" rims. He has changed the blower pulleys and is pushing around 700 hp. He seems to do well with the tires but they are no match for that weight and power. He has to feather it around the course. These are his everyday tires though. I agree that if I were buying just for autocross I'd go with V710s.

98cobraRx

98 Chrome Yellow
Established Member
Thanks FR. I did some more research and am going with the V710s. This season will be my first season on my new set-up and with this car. Last year I used my 03 terminator vert that has a whipple 2.3. I understand the GT500 guys pain. I had to really feather that car around the course. Bottom line just way too much power.

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
Im running NT-05s on my CTS-V and have run a few auto-x events with it, and they are amazing, I love 'em. I drive them on the street to and it handles the rain like a champ. It was the best mod I have done on the car (compared to springs, sways, brakes, etc). Before I was running BFG KDW2s.

vertigyn

Established Member
I use the NT-01's for AutoX in 275/40/17 (I think that's the size...brain fart). I've been really happy with them and noticed a huge advantage over street tires. Prior, I was running BFG KDW II's. The NT-01's usually last around 10 events or so for me and dropped my times by about 2 seconds.

Maybe I'll look into these V710's next go around...only thing is you can usually find NT-01's for cheap as they are often prizes given away to people that sell them for cheap. =)

vertigyn

Established Member
Thank you =) Hopefully it will be sporting an '01 Cobra bumper soon...had to lose my fogs to brake cooling ducts - so will be nice to have both again!

KILRSVT

Established Member
I'm running toyo R888 awesome open track tire not so good between the cones. The correct tire pressure is hard to find . They like to run lower tire pressures and are delicate I managed to cause a sidewall lump in one how I did it I don't know.

Boss002

Established Member
V710's are a great tire. I am using a old as hell set for my first set of R Comps and what a difference that made in grip still. I wonder how good a set not 6 years old would be doing

KILRSVT

Established Member
Planning to run an NT-05 tire for my 18 my rear size will be 295 and my fronts 275 I hope there as good as my toyo's but less delicate with tire pressure

Users who are viewing this thread