Anyone ever gotten their wheels rechromed/redone before...if so, come on in!

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I have a set of BBS RKs that I want to get back to the proper Plasma finish or similar finish. However, they do not offer the Plasma finish anymore. SO, I have 2 options if I want the shine look.

Chrome Plating $157 a wheel
or
PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition) $180 a wheel

I have heard that the PVD would match the original Plasma finish better but I don't think chrome would hurt the look:shrug:
I'm just scared that the wheels won't turn out good.
I have heard good things about LAWheels. I am located in Fort Worth, TX, but I will ship them anywhere to get it done right.

In conclusion, I want this done RIGHT! I don't want to have to dismount and send the wheel back within a couple of years due to imperfections nor do I want imperfections on arrival from the Shop I choose to get the work done at.
So any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks SVTperf

CobraCarrera

Established Member
Jomo...

I am looking for the same answer......I bought the Gunmetal BBS RK's a few days ago....I would like to do the same....I know Wheel Enhancement in California I believe does wheel refinishing's and repair...I have heard of a few good things about them in my Porsche club....Havent seen any proof though..

http://www.wheelenhancement.com/

I also found a place in Marietta Georgia that does this.......I just dont know their reputation...

Powder Coating & Hydrographic Wheels

Lastly....Metro Wheel in Smyrna/Marietta Georgia does this as well....Again.....I only know of their slight reputation for touchless mounting and balancing my RH wheels for my Carrera..They did have a few samples of wheels that were chromed and repaired on display and they really looked factory new.......

Powder Coating Wheels and Rims Services in Atlanta and Nationwide - Metro Wheels

Hope this helps........

I really like the gunmetal color on the wheels and would look awesome on my silver 04 Cobra, but I prefer the chrome or blackchrome finish on my BBS RK wheels..

MPM IV

Established Member
In the DFW area I was recommended Wheels America or Spec Wheel. I never ended up using either one, but since they're in your area you might want to check them out.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Jomo...

I am looking for the same answer......I bought the Gunmetal BBS RK's a few days ago....I would like to do the same....I know Wheel Enhancement in California I believe does wheel refinishing's and repair...I have heard of a few good things about them in my Porsche club....Havent seen any proof though..

http://www.wheelenhancement.com/

I also found a place in Marietta Georgia that does this.......I just dont know their reputation...

Powder Coating & Hydrographic Wheels

Lastly....Metro Wheel in Smyrna/Marietta Georgia does this as well....Again.....I only know of their slight reputation for touchless mounting and balancing my RH wheels for my Carrera..They did have a few samples of wheels that were chromed and repaired on display and they really looked factory new.......

Powder Coating Wheels and Rims Services in Atlanta and Nationwide - Metro Wheels

Hope this helps........

I really like the gunmetal color on the wheels and would look awesome on my silver 04 Cobra, but I prefer the chrome or blackchrome finish on my BBS RK wheels..

Great input. I too want the plasma finish!
I have done my research here as well.
Spoke with a gentleman from LAWheels and it's $157 Chrome or $180 PVD.
He suggested going Chrome since I don't drive the car much, however I'm very skeptical of their 5 year warranty. Did some searches via google and many people are not happy with their warranty service, plus the cost of constantly shipping the wheels back and forth to LA on your $. So I'm not too sure in taking that chance.

This is the only link I found of someone redoing their BBS RKs and they said PVD is the way to go.
BBS RK Plasma wheels, peeling - SCMC Message Forum

Anyway, I got time on my side, but I just want it done right!

Last edited:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
In the DFW area I was recommended Wheels America or Spec Wheel. I never ended up using either one, but since they're in your area you might want to check them out.

Will look into them!

CobraCarrera

Established Member
Yeah Jomo

I cant see spending another $980 plus shipping and down time to change the gunmetal finish....that would put me into $4000...

I will look into this locally with the locations I posted above and see what type of work they do and make my decision from there.....The rims are perfect (no flaws)...I just dont care for the gunmetal finish to much......I will need to see them on my silver Cobra first and decide from there.

I like it better than people who paint their wheels black but I would still rather have chrome or something close to the plasma finish.

$4000 can put me into a real nice set of HRE's.....or whatever for that matter.......

But anyway...I will not get rid of the BBS's as I have been trying to buy these for the last few years already.....

Good luck to you as well....Let me know who you use.

Last edited:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Please keep me updated...
LAWheels is telling me to go chrome but their 5 years warranty does not cover pitting, lol
NO THANKS
But the PVD coating has a 5 year warranty and does cover pitting however, they keep talking me out of it...weird...

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
Please keep me updated...
LAWheels is telling me to go chrome but their 5 years warranty does not cover pitting, lol
NO THANKS
But the PVD coating has a 5 year warranty and does cover pitting however, they keep talking me out of it...weird...

these are both very good companies. I had some motorcycle parts done by both places.

Nu-Chrome

The Chrome Shop

CobraCarrera

Established Member
I am going to go to Metro this weekend and drop off my BBS RK's.

Thanks for the info CobraCarrera! :rockon:

No problem......Let me know how well they do.....

If you go to Metro Wheel in Marietta...talk to Dennis.....He was very helpful when I spoke to him.....

Last edited:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Sent them off today to americanpvd in Cali. Should have them back in a few weeks. Will keep the thread updated.

blubyu90

Established Member
Lots of good info. I need to get my plasma rk's done as my rear wheels are peeling. I don't have a car to put them on anymore, but I want to get them done. That PVD coating seems the way to go. Definitely post up some pics and your opinion on how it turns out. Also to cobracarrera, I didn't know metro wheel did chroming? I've seen some of their work and they repair the wheels really well, but the colors and the quality of paint/finish isn't really there in my opinion.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Lots of good info. I need to get my plasma rk's done as my rear wheels are peeling. I don't have a car to put them on anymore, but I want to get them done. That PVD coating seems the way to go. Definitely post up some pics and your opinion on how it turns out. Also to cobracarrera, I didn't know metro wheel did chroming? I've seen some of their work and they repair the wheels really well, but the colors and the quality of paint/finish isn't really there in my opinion.

Cost me $125 to ship all four not including the packaging supplies. Should take a couple of weeks. Most places want around $200 a wheel for the PVD finish where American PVD charge $125 with a 4 year warranty.
I was very close to going with LAWheels but read a lot of stuff online where they don't honor their warranty. If you read their warranty fine print, it seems like a sham according to the research I did. So I decided to take my business to AmericanPVD. It seems they have the patent on the PVD process. Will keep you all updated.
We will see!

Users who are viewing this thread