Anyone ever added an additional Garage bay to a brick house?

GodStang

Established Member
When the wife and I were looking for a house my one rule was 3 car garage or a place to build a shop. Well we ended up finding a foreclosure that was $150K less than what it was worth so I loss and we got this house. The problem is its an all brick colonial house with 2 car garage with bonus room over garage. My HOA, ya I know HOA suck, will not allow for a shop. So has anyone ever added an addition garage bay onto their house? How did it work out? What did the price end up being. Any do's or don'ts?

coposrv

Established Member
Are HOAs that powerful? I would just build a shop over an attached garage.

Any local architect should be able to draw something up for you. I’ve done quite a few remodels to existing brick buildings. A few years ago I did a large addition in Brookline on a brick home. They power washed with an acid to blend the new and old together and it looked like it has always been there.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Generally speaking , brick is a veneer ,on a wooden structure .
Should not be an issue to make it appear the same as the original structure.
Hoa is your largest concern.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Are HOAs that powerful? I would just build a shop over an attached garage.

Any local architect should be able to draw something up for you. I’ve done quite a few remodels to existing brick buildings. A few years ago I did a large addition in Brookline on a brick home. They power washed with an acid to blend the new and old together and it looked like it has always been there.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
It's my understanding they can put a lien on the property if you do something they don't like. I don't think it's an issue if you live there forever, but if you are selling the property and the agent finds there is a lien against it, it can put a damper on the sales process.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
depends on the HOA, the one for my neighborhood is very loose and largely doesn't give a damn so long as you aren't an eyesore. Others control what kind of grass you can have

Im in one of those types right now after they switched out HOA management company. This ****ing woman comes out with a ruler to photo if the grass is too long.

She tried to give me a warning because she measured my grass to be right under 4" yet our Rules & Regs state 4" is the maximum allowed. She wrote me up anyway and i got a nasty letter in the mail.

I took the warning and went to complain during our monthly board meeting and got it dismissed along with an apology from that woman. I had to show them photos from my phone that we took of her measuring my grass(LOL yes, its that stupid).

Its been 6 months without a peep. I hope its no longer an issue.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Im in one of those types right now after they switched out HOA management company. This ****ing woman comes out with a ruler to photo if the grass is too long.

She tried to give me a warning because she measured my grass to be right under 4" yet our Rules & Regs state 4" is the maximum allowed. She wrote me up anyway and i got a nasty letter in the mail.

I took the warning and went to complain during our monthly board meeting and got it dismissed along with an apology from that woman. I had to show them photos from my phone that we took of her measuring my grass(LOL yes, its that stupid).

Its been 6 months without a peep. I hope its no longer an issue.

I dont think I'll ever live in one that strict. Mine is very lax

GodStang

Established Member
My HOA is not the problem as if you go through the right channels it's fine. I am just wondering who has done it on a two story brick house and what should I be looking at cost wise?

sleek98

Established Member
What is the layout of the lot? Depending on the setbacks, the city rules for land coverage and the HOA rules.

The cost will be 40-100 a sq foot depending on finishes.

BigFatMatt

Ain't never gonna change
Established Member
Wow that really sucks about your HOA not allowing you to build a shop.

My parent's neighborhood allows shops and detached garages as long as they match the "look" of the house. You might want to look really closely at the language in the contract and see if that could be allowed. A shop with brick veneer to match your house would be very nice and probably improve the value of your property.

I live 500 yards past city limits and not part of any neighborhoods. My neighbor Jerome has like 10 project cars LOL and I regularly hunt in my backyard. I love not having an HOA.

If we're here long enough I'm considering a large metal building for a shop behind our house, but we already have an oversized two car garage and a 1600 sq ft basement with garage door.... but you can never have too much shop space!

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
They do it often around here, but the houses are block. They add the structure and redo the roof trusses. I had considered this at one time.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
I’d look into the rules in detail. My parents can’t build a detached shop on their lot. However they can build as big as they want as long as the face matches the house and it is attached to the house. Attached can be as little as a 4ft roof connection (which is essentially detached)

blownfox

Established Member
I got on the HOA committee at my last house for the reason of expanding my garage. You would be surprise at what people want to do to there house but as long as it matched the exterior and did not flood their neighbors house, I could careless. My house was brick front and we received quotes from 25 to 40K to add a 3rd car garage. we ended up building a home so we never started it.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
HOA's can be very weird sometimes. I would check with the board first to find out what's acceptable before you waste time and money.

GodStang

Established Member
HOA's can be very weird sometimes. I would check with the board first to find out what's acceptable before you waste time and money.

As long as it matches the house it is fine. I just can't think the best way to do it on this house. I want a single back at the back of the house with side entry if that makes sense. So it would be 2 then 1. This way not seen from the road.

This was right after we bought the house and it was vacant for 3-4 years. So it was in bad shape.

IMG_5834.JPG

IMG_5833.JPG

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
As long as it matches the house it is fine. I just can't think the best way to do it on this house. I want a single back at the back of the house with side entry if that makes sense. So it would be 2 then 1. This way not seen from the road.

This was right after we bought the house and it was vacant for 3-4 years. So it was in bad shape.

View attachment 1619145

View attachment 1619146

Are you planning on extending the room above?

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I think the most expensive part is going to be the brick face. It's easy to slap some ply wood up and slam vinyl siding on it. You're probably going to have to hire an architect in addition to a the contractor.

sleek98

Established Member
If your adding to the room to make it wider and not longer your talking ripping off the entire roof off that section and redoing the entire roofline.

Honestly your looking at 50-75k to add a third stall and extended room doing it that way. If you leave the room above and do a single pitch roof off the side it would be much much cheaper.

It appears they used attic trusses to make that room which means that her entire office would be ripped out and thrown away to make the room/roof cover the entire 3 car garage.

Users who are viewing this thread