Anyone else starting to dislike the holidays?

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
I guess as I'm getting older and more of my loved ones that I respected are gone the days have lost their meaning.
After sitting and eating an overcooked pigeon and watching my grandmother who's lungs are failing her strugle to breath even with her oxygen and she has inoperatable colon cancer, my mother suffers from 5+ bulging discs including one pressing the sciatic nerve. So anything over 5# is my job. My little sister moved to Denver with her now husband a few years back and are expecting. Isolating themselves from most of the drama, yet still reliant on me and able to piss me off.
These days like today are grueling, few in the family get along, they are all jocking for position to hold the dinner to curry favor. My mom and I for the past decade or so have always cooked thanksgiving, Xmas, and steaks once a week (when I was intown). I don't mind them going to the others houses, I just want her happy. The joyous mix of memories (especially childhood) is quickly drowned by realizations that this may be the last time you see them. I've gotten to the point that I'm sick of it. Watching people who would never help that have somehow decided to help and throw their own dinners all magically at the same time that there was some possible inheritance money reviled.
I couldn't care less about the money, I just don't want to loose my grandma.
It seriously makes me want live alone and never have a family Just to avoid family drama.
There is a saying, all families are ****ed up, some are just more ****ed up than others.

Last edited:

ItsReal93

Established Member
Honestly since I got sick the holidays annoy me more than anything. Mostly because it's more tiring for me when I don't feel good from treatments. Also because it's not about being with family and friends anymore. Most people by the time Christmas comes are so grouchy. I feel like the real meaning of holidays are lost in all the gift madness which is why I'm happy my fiance and I don't go crazy. I would much rather something small and thoughtful than big and expensive.

I just can't stand the people who complain about having to get this gift or that gift when I just want to tell them to stop and think about what these days are truly about. Most people don't realize how lucky they are just to be healthy.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
This is why Eggnog was invented.

And I don't drink... Besides i've got a big project at the office that I have to be in early for and will take all day.
Honestly since I got sick the holidays annoy me more than anything. Mostly because it's more tiring for me when I don't feel good from treatments. Also because it's not about being with family and friends anymore. Most people by the time Christmas comes are so grouchy.
+1, ever since the illnesses emerged the drama increased with it. Just when you don't need it and crave "the good ol days".

Last edited:

ViciousJay

Established Member
add me to the list, i think its too much about gifts.... i love thanksgiving.... food, football and family is just fine for me

snakedoctor

Established Member
I'm getting there. Really tired of having to fight fellow employees over who is going to work and who is taking off. Somehow I always get stuck working trying to be the "nice" guy and it always ends up biting me in the but. The more I get crapped on, the more bitter I get.

Jaysin

Established Member
I'm kinda getting that way. My grandfather passed away sunday, which was a huge blow to me and the immediate family. I've lived with my grandparents for close to 11 yrs, see them everyday, and this is the first Thanksgiving without him. Needless to say it's a big change, my grandma is holding up, but can tell she's hurting. My brother is all sad over girl drama and was being a pain the last few days. We came up to south carolina so my grandma wouldnt have to be at the house basically alone. It sucks getting old, hate seeing things change like this. I can sympathize with the op about watching family in bad health. Blah

clean93

Established Member
when i was a teenager i loved the holidays. i had a lot of very close friends who all knew each other and we would hang out all the time. holiday time we would all go out together we decorated our church, every week we did something different. my family was also a lot closer back then too and we travelled a lot. but now all those friends i had moved on, had families and careers. my family kind of take it easy now and dont do much. so to me now the holidays are just another day of the week but im thankful each year.

Planter

Banned
its all about money, gifts, deals, and how much stuff you got. spoiled brats, selfish parents, rotten kids.

wonder how many stories will be on the news tonight about shootings and stabbings and beatings that took place while people were waiting in line at the stores at midnight?

No way this is the best time of the year. I love all these holidays. If you have the right perspective about what this time of year should be about then this is the best time of the year. There's nothing like being a giver to people during this time. Sorry to hear about all the troubles people are facing in this thread but we all have challenges and in some cases, what appears to be unsurmountable odds. Sometimes you just have to adjust your attitude and believe things will get better and they will. If you want to see those good days on the outside, you need to get that vision inside yourself first. See yourself healthy and strong on the inside. See yourself having your best days ahead of you. The imagination is very powerful and your circumstances are all subject to change. Always remember that what you are going through, someone has gone through as well on this planet.

mikecharris

Established Member
Op i understand the whole family drama bull sucks but it's worth it if you ask me.
I was removed my from my family in 1995 i was only six years old i was in foster care till i turned 18 and graduated high school. I never got to experience any sort real family experience.
I wish i could deal with the drama cause at least then i could still say i have family to go home to for the holidays. I say deal with the family drama stick with it, having that is more then what some have.
Just from what one guy has experienced take it as you will.
Happy holidays every one

truefiveo

Established Member
Holidays are for the children!
I personally live through the children on Xmas day seeing their faces light up opening gifts!

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Damn,
I still have a blast. Maybe I am a big kid at heart and enjoy making family, friends, and acquaintances happy.

Sorry it has gotten bitter and stale for you. Perhaps you should start drinking?

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
All holidays turned into are ways for businesses to try to make money. It's too commercialized these days. For me the only 3 holidays that mean anything to me anymore are Independence Day, Veterans Day and the Marine Corps Birthday. They actually make me feel like I'm part of something bigger than myself..... the other holidays are just a money grab!!!

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
i am disliking this hangover today thats for damn sure

wow i'm hurting lol

Users who are viewing this thread