Anyone else smell their clutch cooking every so often??

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
Noticed this has happened a few times to me already. No powershifting or out of the ordinary hard driving. After a decent downshift to 4th on a freeway here and there ill get home and my garage reaks of burnt clutch. Are these clutches weak or is this a "break in" process, lol (4k miles still). Only time I ever smelled anything out of my previous Mustang was after a full run of powershifting at the track, and even then it was a HINT of the smell....This one seems to do it after ANY fun and the smell is strong as shit. Makes me feel like a teenage n00b. Clutch grabs great however. No sign of slipping...yet

Swoope

Established Member
some know issues with pressure plate bolts backing out on the 2011s. might want to have it checked out..

getting hard to shift cleanly is another sign.

beers

5.0jake

Established Member
I've never smelled burning clutch in all of my 14k miles. Some other slight burning smells here and there after running hard maybe.
Maybe your garage is amplifying the smell?

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
I have about 800 miles and smell it as well but car and clutch driving great. Maybe just breaking in?

I have yet to do a big clutch dump or anything like that but feels like it launches great!

Phillystang2000

Member of the O&A Army
Established Member
some know issues with pressure plate bolts backing out on the 2011s. might want to have it checked out..

getting hard to shift cleanly is another sign.

beers

My car is in the shop for exactly this. Every once and awhile I would get a hint of burning clutch smell, then at exactly 6500 miles I started having problems shifting.

Users who are viewing this thread