Anyone else noticing Chrome incompatibilities with more e-Commerce sites?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have been using Chrome exclusively for about 3 years. I've loved it. However, over the past year I have run into more and more e-Commerce websites that have compatibility issues with Chrome. To the point where I find I'm having to switch to M/S Edge more and more. With Edge, the issues always disappear. And I keep Chrome always up to date. Anyone else noticing this? It's getting so bad that I'm thinking about booting Chrome altogether, despite the fact that I love its features and ease of use.

I just find it so strange that a browser as popular as Chrome has issues with so many websites. If Microsoft can stay ahead of the game, why can't Google? :mad:

helloWorld

Established Member
Do you use any ad-blocking plugins in Chrome? I found that the ad-blocks are the largest culprit in breaking some website's functionality.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Almost forgot. Disabling java script can do it also.

No ajax, blah blah technical stuff blah.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
You'll be sorely disappointed to find out that even Edge is going Chrome (Chromium, the open-source engine behind Chrome) since a lot of devs end up just bothering to test their sites on Chrome and therefore rendering a lot of sites incompatible with Edge: Edge dies a death of a thousand cuts as Microsoft switches to Chromium

I'd say your issues are more about your current Chrome setup than an incompatibility issue or I'd otherwise question the competency and sanity of the people building the websites you're having Chrome issues against.

quad

Established Member
You'll be sorely disappointed to find out that even Edge is going Chrome (Chromium, the open-source engine behind Chrome) since a lot of devs end up just bothering to test their sites on Chrome and therefore rendering a lot of sites incompatible with Edge: Edge dies a death of a thousand cuts as Microsoft switches to Chromium

I'd say your issues are more about your current Chrome setup than an incompatibility issue or I'd otherwise question the competency and sanity of the people building the websites you're having Chrome issues against.
Wow thanks for this info. That is very interesting. Whenever I developed a web site I would go through a lot of testing to make sure the site worked on all browsers, IE, Chrome, Firefox, Safari etc. It was almost like a losing battle and it took a very long time to track down a piece of code that was the culprit. Or you had to add a specific code string for a browser.

I used Netscape back in the days before IE or Chrome / Firefox were on the scene. Then I switched to IE when it came out and eventually hopped over to Chrome. A few years ago I started having problems with Chrome and began using Firefox. I also used Safari in Windows for a while but then switched exclusively to Firefox. Apple also abandoned Safari development for Windows a few years ago.

I have my Firefox set to delete all browsing history when I close out. It keeps it nice and not bloated. I do prefer using Chrome for Bank Of America's ShopSafe, Amazon, XM Radio etc. With Chrome I do have history enabled so I can more easily login to Amazon etc. Banking I obviously do not save the passwords. ShopSafe is a great feature but requires Adobe Flash. I have been using it for more than 17 years - first via IBS. Somehow my credit card account was passed from IBS to Bank of America and ShopSafe travelled with it.

ShopSafe® for Bank of America Online Banking Customers

Interestingly IE works better on some forums that will not render correctly at all on Firefox / Chrome.

Chrome has had its fair share of bugs when new releases came out. Edge has a very fast renderer - too bad that the developers were too lazy to tweak their sites for it. I must admit I rarely use Edge because so many sites were not developed for it.

Blown 89

Established Member
I've noticed that too. I have a shipping company that's drop-down menus don't work with Chrome. I'm finding myself using Chrome less and less lately.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
@CobraBob I have the same issues when trying to do online training for Lexus. I can never get the training modules to work correctly on anything but MS browsers.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Do you use any ad-blocking plugins in Chrome? I found that the ad-blocks are the largest culprit in breaking some website's functionality.
I do have ad-blocking enabled, but disabling it hasn't helped.

Blocking cookies will break ecommerce
I don't block cookies.

Almost forgot. Disabling java script can do it also.
Java is not disabled.

I'll check my settings again. I've gone over them multiple times and haven't found anything that looks suspect.

Surprising to hear that Edge is transitioning to Chromium. It was nice to have another browser when incompatibilities arise.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
There are some corporate type portal websites that refuse to run on anything besides Internet Explorer.
I liked edge as it was much better than IE, just not as convenient as chrome.

Sent from my Note9

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I agree that Chrome is more convenient overall, compared to Edge. Edge is more basic and faster; Chrome is slower but more comprehensive.

Users who are viewing this thread