Anyone else noticing a motor oil shortage?

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Appears Amazon has plenty of M1 for the same price as walmart.

Motorcraft filters, as far back as I remember, have always been made by Purolator and stamped "Made in USA".
Not any more.
Now they say "Majority Content Madd in USA".

In the past year, they've also changed their packaging. Here's a pic of one of the FL500's I bought at walmart the other day:
View attachment 1729715

And when I look on Amazon:
View attachment 1729716

- Purolator still make Motorcraft filters?
- If so, Purolator move to chyna?
- If not, who makes 'em?

You're looking at the small potatoes. Purolator is owned by Mann+Hummel, who also owns Wix and others.

Motorcraft is in contract with Mann+Hummel, not purolator. They may have been made at a purolator facility in the US prior, but if Motorcraft states they want a price reduction, MH most likely said "Fine but they get made in our Chinese facility" and motorcraft agreed.

Reason I know this is most of the AC Delco/Motorcraft aftermarket parts come from your normal supplier you'd get at O'Reillys, AZ, ADV, Napa, etc.

SHOdown220

Established Member
We’ve still been getting our bulk oil as scheduled here at my dealership but our prices did increase the other day. Up to $100 for oil/rotate. We were running about $75 for 0/20 syn with rotate.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
MB dealer…we’ve been having bulk oil issues for the last month. Some filter issues, for the 223 s class? Car just came out how can the filters be on back order? I remember last year we had no issues and we’re doing about the same amount of business. We’re feeling the repercussions of Biden’s brilliant plan of killing a pipeline, and putting a moratorium on drilling. But also the labor shortage paying people approximately $1000/week to stay home and not work during the scandemic, not his fault. Stop all subsidies to those not working, they’re jobs everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Machdup1

Established Member
Shortages in finished materials for lubricant manufacturing due to COVID-19, labor shortages and now the shortage of transportation all are contributing to motor oil shortages.

Get what you can, when you can, where you can.

As a matter of fact, I think I’ll roll down to OReilly’s and get some oil today and leave it on the shelf.

If you want something in short supply that is important to whine about, let’s talk about ammunition components. All I want for Christmas is 30000 9mm primers.

T56LS102

Established Member
I cant find an air filter for a 2020 F250 6.7 to save my life, i ended up ordering one at my local dealer but they have no eta...

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia

You're looking at the small potatoes. Purolator is owned by Mann+Hummel, who also owns Wix and others.

Motorcraft is in contract with Mann+Hummel, not purolator. They may have been made at a purolator facility in the US prior, but if Motorcraft states they want a price reduction, MH most likely said "Fine but they get made in our Chinese facility" and motorcraft agreed.

Reason I know this is most of the AC Delco/Motorcraft aftermarket parts come from your normal supplier you'd get at O'Reillys, AZ, ADV, Napa, etc.

Thanks for the feedback, good stuff.
Experienced the exact same scenario in a previous life.

Machdup1

Established Member
LoL - Sorry, I have a case of Amsoil w/filter that's been sitting in my garage for a year,
Share Sharing GIF by stellar247

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Bought oil for my G/F's Hyundai last week @ Walmart, 5w30 full synthetic.
There were several brands to choose from, Quaker State was the cheapest @ $ 20.99 for 5 qts.
I did notice the price had gone up $ 3.00 from the last time I bought it, 6 months ago..

sleek98

Established Member
Grabbed another case of 0w20 for our Hondas from Costco today. I have 4 oil changes worth now. They had a fresh pallet but this thread had me worried this might be it for a while there. The price went up from 24.99 to 29.99 for 10 quarts.

Dusten

Established Member
hoarding is the best solution for supply issues.

Well 3 gallons needed for the oil change.
6 gallons on the shelf.
5000 km oil changes.

One oil change every 45 days...

It's not hoarding if I'm going to use it.

Users who are viewing this thread