Anyone else not overly excited about newer muscle/sports cars?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
An AC cobra would certainly be the perfect addition
That's the next car hopefully! Might be a little while. Might have to add another 4 post lift....

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
100%. Love the new stuff.

Styling is purely subjective. Everyone will have their own idea of what "looks" cool.

However, you cannot argue the performance of a modern v8; especially if you introduce FI. A new $32k Mustang GT will make 1k horespower for almost nothing with (pick your choice) power adder. THat's pretty cool in my book.

Im a sucker for a clean, old muscle car too. They definitely have their place.
100%!!!!

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I like the new Mach 1, but not enough to pull the trigger. I'm kicking around the idea of building another S-197. I really like the feel of those cars.

I like the new mach 1 but not the price point.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I love the technology and I hate the technology. I love that you can have 1K power with a few add on's and also have excellent brakes, decent fuel economy and perks such as Cruise Control, Traction Control, Launch Control, ABS, and a good sound system in a car that rides smoothly.
I HATE nanny's such as Lane Departure, Adaptive Cruise Control, Adaptive Braking, Auto Door Locks, Auto Headlamps. I really hate the a feature that is showing up on every car with that stupid "Dial" transmission selector. And that is if you open the drivers door while the vehicle is moving, the transmission tries to go into Park position. Some Chrysler products (Fiat) even go so far as to prevent the engine from shutting off if the vehicle is not in Park, which is a pain in the ass when you need a vehicle in Neutral to perform an alignment.
Sigh.
I like old school where I dictate the terms, not the vehicle.

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
For me I think muscle cars and even imports lost their charm around ‘03–‘07, depending on the make. I respect the horsepower wars going on now and I even like the design of them except the camaro lol. But too me a lot of personality is lost. I don’t get excited when I see the new “Supra” compared to even one from the late ‘80’s.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
For me I think muscle cars and even imports lost their charm around ‘03–‘07, depending on the make. I respect the horsepower wars going on now and I even like the design of them except the camaro lol. But too me a lot of personality is lost. I don’t get excited when I see the new “Supra” compared to even one from the late ‘80’s.
How dare you throw out the 03-04 cobra lol.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I said depending on the make lol! Although I don’t regret selling my 03 Cobra. I got some nice coin for it.
LoL just busting your balls. Congrats on the sale. I'll probably be buried in mine.

slowgreycobra

Established Member
This is a topic I have been rolling around in my head a lot over the past few years.

The newer Ford stuff doesn't excite me after about the mid 2010's due to a bland design. The base model and GT Mustang offerings look boring to me. I still like the GT-500 and 350 looks. The newer offerings certainly perform significantly better than the older cars. I looked at a 2019 Hellcat last week and while it was cool, they wanted 71k for a car that looked almost the same as the GT next to it. There wasn't much that let me know the car was special. That seems to be a problem with the latest offerings. I feel like if it is a 71k car, I should be able to no be confused by a base model in the Wal-shart parking lot sitting 1-2 rows over from it (OK I would never take a car like that to Wal-Mart).

It was eye opening when the 5.0 GTs came out and blasted my Terminator in every category except straight line performance, and even in that category it only barely surpassed it. That was the first time I realized how quickly cars were improving after the minor improvements of the 90's to 00's.

Due to traveling for work a lot, I have driven cars from all different manufacturers. There is one theme they all have, control. Control over you and how you drive and operate the vehicle. It was annoying trying to fight some of them. The Chrysler 300S was the most fun out of all of the vehicles I rented. Trucks also seem to keep the nanny systems to a minimum and were decent to drive.

Rambro

Established Member
I love my 03 cobra for everything it is and my 15 gt is no different. Both awesome, but totally different. My 15 is stock besides eibach sportlines, Lund 93 tune, and muffler delete. Lowering the 15 totally changed the appearance of the car and the tune woke it up nicely as well. But where the 15 really shines for me is how comfortable it is. It’s a dream to drive every day. My cobra gets way more attention, regardless if I want it or not lol, sounds better imo, and overall it has that rough, aggressive feel to it. It’s like comparing Pantera to Pink Floyd. When the 03 cobras first came out it was the only car since the fox body mustang that I had to have. I don’t feel that way with my 15, not taking anything away from it but the older stuff Is what I still prefer to tinker with.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Can't deny the performance of the newer stuff but for me, most of the fun back in my fox body days came from swapping heads, cams, intakes and hitting the track on the weekend to see the difference. A 12 second 5-speed Fox body is a riot compared to the smooth running machines of today.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I think what everyone will find out is that they will go through cycles in life. This month I like the old stuff and next month/year I am into the new stuff. It usually happens after I have spent too much time in the old stuff, getting back into something new "12/13 Mustang, CTSV, etc. is really nice.

I go to Daytona at Thanksgiving every year with car in tow "resto mod with ac and overdrive". People ask me why tow instead of driving your car? I tell them that after being in this car for 3 days I am ready to get back into my truck and go home. The 3-1/2 hour trip down is fun, the trip home...not so much. It usually takes a few weeks before I get interested in an old car again.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm already doing some general maintenance on the old 67. Changed the valve cover gaskets. Super easy as you all know, but that's what I like about the older cars.

Looks like I have a few more leaky stuff to sort out.
IMG_20210808_144514313_HDR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread