Anyone else not overly excited about newer muscle/sports cars?

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
Brady as you are about to find out, they both have their place. That mustang that you have coming will in no way replace your Terminator nor your Fox. The only best way to truly live in the car world is to own some of both the new and the old. There are great cars on both ends.

I have old muscle with original engines and old muscle with modern engines, new muscle with powerful modified engines, and new muscle with stock engines. They all have something to get excited about, it just depends on the day.

BTW, I wouldn't trade any of them for my F250. LOL!

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I like the classic cars. As long as it's someone else's car. I did the classic thing back in high school and into my 20's. I don't miss it.

None of the newer cars interest me either. I keep saying I'm a hater because I can't afford a new GT500. But the truth is it never really did it for me. If I did pick up an S550 it would be a GT350, but even those don't grab me. I think right now if the Cobra went away for some reason I'd take a break from cars for a bit.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I dont like how base cars are packed with standard features I dont want. Call me old fashioned I guess, but the only modern tech I really want is Bluetooth, digital ignition, port fuel injection and ABS.

There is a reason I bought my 73 Nova. I want an all analogue car, a raw unprocessed feeling. Carbureted Big Block Chevy power is a visceral experience. The only real modern tech I want is a fully programmable ignition system for nitrous and a 4L80 trans.

While I agree the 05-09 has not held up well over time.

My wife chose a 2007 Mustang GT convertible over the newer S197s and S550s. They still definitely have their fans.

I love the 07-09. Personally, I am okay with a lot of folks not liking them. Makes it cheaper when I go to buy another one! View attachment 1712615

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

07 GT500 is what switched me to Ford for the last 15 years. Mean looking car, very raw and 500 factory hp. I saw the 2010 GT500 and fell in love enough to buy my 2011.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Brady as you are about to find out, they both have their place. That mustang that you have coming will in no way replace your Terminator nor your Fox. The only best way to truly live in the car world is to own some of both the new and the old. There are great cars on both ends.

I have old muscle with original engines and old muscle with modern engines, new muscle with powerful modified engines, and new muscle with stock engines. They all have something to get excited about, it just depends on the day.

BTW, I wouldn't trade any of them for my F250. LOL!
I hear you Scott. I personally don't like the appearance of most newer sports cars. Not one jumps out at me saying I must have one. I also don't care for all the modern tech.

I do like a lot of the newer engines and transmissions.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Detroit Iron

Established Member
Premium Member
I had a similar conversation with a fellow car guy at work. Back in the day, we were really excited about the next model, the rumor mill, etc. Not so much today. The Camaro is going away. There is talk of the Mustang getting the 6.8L pushrod engine; however, it will likely me limited production and mega bucks. With everything going electric or hybrid, I'm just not that excited. The new cars have all the tech and bells and whistles, will replacement parts be available in 20 years? I'll keep my fox body coupe. It is a classic and I would consider an unmolested manual 5.0 coupe a rare car today.

IA Shelby

Established Member
I like and desire cars from most every decade from the 1950’s till now. I love an early fifties Ford Pickup. Dream of 65 Shelby Cobra and would buy a 2021 Ford GT if I hit the lottery.

That being said I have no interest in EV’s as fun or collector cars.

VegasMichael

Established Member
You’re not alone in your thinking, Brady. There are a number of current cars that do excite me. C8 Vette (I’ve seen three up here in Maine the past two days). GT-350. GT-500. Mustang GT. Hellcat Challenger. Just to name 5. But I REALLY love the older muscle cars. I’d LOVE to own one of these.
1965 GTO
1969 Chevelle SS-396
1968 427 Corvette
1967 427 Corvette
1969 Boss 429 Mustang
1970 AMC Rebel Machine
1969 SC/Rambler

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
I concur with the Chevelle and the Rebel. Although I must admit I have never seen a Rebel in person, only in magazines and interwebs. I'd love a Mopar from the 60s or early 70s.

upload_2021-7-21_5-26-20.jpeg

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
While I agree the 05-09 has not held up well over time.

opinon.png

i still see plenty of 05-09 GTs running the streets and many of them look great to me, let alone GT500s. i just love the tough, retro looking body. i still prefer the body of 07-09 over 10-14. crazy, i know. i prefer everything else about the 11-14s, but love that old school looking body.

love old classic muscle cars but you can dump $100k into one and it still wont be on par with a modern muscle car, driveability wise. cant be the classic looks though.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Technology is what convinced me to turn my Saleen onto a racecar. I wanted a 450 whp street car using the stock block. By the time I had came close to realizing that goal stock production cars were exceeding that number and doing so with a smooth idle, better handling, better fuel efficiency and much greater creature comforts. At that point I was like "WTF?" Might as well go all in and build a racecar. Now 8+ years later, I wish that I had used a Coyote based engine. It would make more power for less money today than what I spent so far.
Although, there is something to be said for the sound of a SBF at 8,000+ rpm.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I like the new Mach 1, but not enough to pull the trigger. I'm kicking around the idea of building another S-197. I really like the feel of those cars.

That body style just never had much appeal to me, well the 05-09 or whatever anyway

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I concur with the Chevelle and the Rebel. Although I must admit I have never seen a Rebel in person, only in magazines and interwebs. I'd love a Mopar from the 60s or early 70s.

View attachment 1712952
Seeing a Rebel Machine is like winning the lottery. For most, it just doesn't happen. Every time I watch a Mecum auction I watch for one. Or an SC/Rambler. After years of watching auctions, I'm still waiting. They're special muscle cars to me. Closest I've gotten is a 390 AMX in red, white and blue.

Naturesmistake

Established Member
As a younger guy (early 30's) with a pretty darn good career but not a ton of time, the stuff in the last 20 years is nice because it already drives nice, and I don't have to mess with it too much. As a S197 Coyote and Gen 1 Raptor owner, I've been eyeing a C6 Z06 to round out my V8 collection before modern V8's become unobtanium.

With that, nothing beats a well built classic for character. I'll get into that game someday.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I love the new Mustangs, the Hellcat Charger and Challenger.
Not crazy about the C8 at all. Loved the C7 cars.

Some of the BMW and AMG cars look pretty killer too.

100%. Love the new stuff.

Styling is purely subjective. Everyone will have their own idea of what "looks" cool.

However, you cannot argue the performance of a modern v8; especially if you introduce FI. A new $32k Mustang GT will make 1k horespower for almost nothing with (pick your choice) power adder. THat's pretty cool in my book.

Im a sucker for a clean, old muscle car too. They definitely have their place.

Users who are viewing this thread