Anyone else frustrated with Ford over the next GT500?

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Anyone else read the December Motortrend? I read it on the plane, so I'm reciting this off the top of my head, but they interviewed someone high up at Ford (Probably DerpWraiths guy) who said the vehicle will be dropping as a '20 model year the second half of next year.

What do you want to bet they're just debuting that thing on the new chassis? It would be stupid to have one year of the car on the current chassis and then have to change it all again. Makes sense to have the S650 (that's it, right?) just come out of the gate swinging with a GT500 launch, but no sense in cannibalizing S550 sales for the next 6 months or so.
I thought they pushed back the change in platform or cancelled the S650 altogether?

Curt@injected

I think y'all are mixing "performance" and "output" when the two are not necessarily synonymous. Hell, you can get a 2018 GT into the 10s with bolt ons, WTF are the Hellcat and Redeye doing with all that extra power? Oh yeah, appealing to bench racers.
Dodge has yet to put it's money where it's mouth is on the strip. Or rather, Dodge's cars in the hands of average Joe have not been able to back up their claims - as far as I can tell, I'm a road racer (not street racer) and don't put much stock in 1/4 racing.

I still remain unconvinced that Ford is worried about the Dodge offering in the slightest, other than having to appeal to people who just straight up do not know any better.

Hellcats have been 10's 100% bone stock down to the tire. We just went 9.89 @ 142 in a full weight hellcat with stock pulleys. Just tuning, fuel tires. I'm not really getting where this whole idea is coming from.

The 18 Mustangs are sick though. I just wish ford would get off their ass with the gt500. This whole deal is hurting their fanbase, I can see it first hand. A lot of gt500 guys own hellcats now.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
The 18 Mustangs are sick though. I just wish ford would get off their ass with the gt500. This whole deal is hurting their fanbase, I can see it first hand. A lot of gt500 guys own hellcats now.

I’m not sure what the complaining is all about? Sure you can put a blower and shorter springs on a Mustang GT and call it a day but then what do you have? A lousy aftermarket car with no engineering nor developement but hell its out in a year.

I’d rather have a car done right where those that drive it compare it to something twice as much. I have yet to see this from dodge or gm.

Last edited:

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
Hellcats have been 10's 100% bone stock down to the tire. We just went 9.89 @ 142 in a full weight hellcat with stock pulleys. Just tuning, fuel tires. I'm not really getting where this whole idea is coming from.

I have a 2016 Challenger Hellcat that does 11.6 repeatably on 275 all-seasons. My hero run bone stock to the tires was an 11.1 and I run 10.8xx's on Mickeys.

I think a lot of the ribbing about the Hellcat is really more about the Demon and the 2019 Hellcat. Dodge put a lot of advertising into their hero run, but actual owners struggled to make the numbers. They were struggling to make better numbers than my car with DR's. Took lots of seat time for Demon owners before people started seeing numbers even remotely close to advertised.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Did a side by side with the just posted (thanks Austin) plenum shot next to the "leaked" shot from months ago. Ribbing pattern has been changed as well as the cast in, unfinished snake being replaced with a thin, etched plate. I think it would have looked better with a finished snake cast in...

ZZZZ%20GT500%20Blower%20Plenum%20Comparison-X3.jpg

Kaneda

BANNED
Established Member
I'm glad it's being revealed in January. That means people will be getting cars in Spring/Summer when you can drive them vs. the typical 4th quarter winter launches.

Going to be a crazy performance year with this and the mid-engine Vette landing.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Did a side by side with the just posted (thanks Austin) plenum shot next to the "leaked" shot from months ago. Ribbing pattern has been changed as well as the cast in, unfinished snake being replaced with a thin, etched plate. I think it would have looked better with a finished snake cast in...

View attachment 1531970

Look carefully at the edges, and it looks like the plaque is "floating." I bet the cast cobra is still underneath the plaque, and they used the plaque for the anal guys who like to keep their engine bays looking like a display case. The cast cobra will be difficult to keep detailed.

And is that a carbon composite strut tower brace?

Users who are viewing this thread