Anyone else frustrated with Ford over the next GT500?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I had a fascinating conversation about this with Adam Christian (LinkedIn) at the 5.2L engine reveal with SID297 a few years ago. He led the Voodoo engine development team. He's pretty handy too, having brought home some tubing to fabricate a set of shorty headers for the Coyote program when nobody else could do it right. Tubular exhaust manifolds were nearly abandoned in favor of cast iron and Adam pulled this one off at the last minute.

For a better understanding of the matter at hand, take some time to read through the patent he and two others at Ford received in 2013.
Patent Images

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I had a fascinating conversation about this with Adam Christian (LinkedIn) at the 5.2L engine reveal with SID297 a few years ago. He led the Voodoo engine development team. He's pretty handy too, having brought home some tubing to fabricate a set of shorty headers for the Coyote program when nobody else could do it right. Tubular exhaust manifolds were nearly abandoned in favor of cast iron and Adam pulled this one off at the last minute.

For a better understanding of the matter at hand, take some time to read through the patent he and two others at Ford received in 2013.
Patent Images

Wow! That is a hell of a read on manifold design and exhaust pressure.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Hood stunts are only good when they work. Prop rod is tried and true.
Agreed. I prefer a prop rod over struts. I've had the hood on my Ram blow over before. That makes for a headache.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
To think I just threw all that hard work in the scrap pile last weekend. We actually welded V-bands on a set and flipped them forward. Had another set to duplicate but Flowtech sells SS turbo headers for $240 so why bother. The second set of these will go for scrap or eventually be used.
-J

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
Agreed. I prefer a prop rod over struts. I've had the hood on my Ram blow over before. That makes for a headache.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
There was a car right next to me at a show, with a prop rod, that the wind blew the hood up, the prop rod came down on the fender and the hood landed on the prop rod pinching it on the fender. My hood, with struts, didn't even wobble.

Struts for me, please.

Breitling

Established Member
Thanks for posting that, Snoopy.

I wonder if the Carbon-Fiber Track Pack and Technology Package will be available together?

I have a feeling the Track Pack will cost a pretty penny. Also, looks like the only way you get Recaro's is with the Track Pack?

bdub85

Established Member
Thanks for posting that, Snoopy.

I wonder if the Carbon-Fiber Track Pack and Technology Package will be available together?

I have a feeling the Track Pack will cost a pretty penny. Also, looks like the only way you get Recaro's is with the Track Pack?
I think the track pack recaros are probably different than the standard base recaros. Or at least I’m hoping. I really want the recaros. I love them in my gt350.

Snoopy49

Established Member
These are the front and back pages of the brochure, I didn't include them in the pdf because I didn't think they were relevant. But if you see one laying around at the dealer, grab it.

img20190205_14283142-Sml.jpg

img20190205_14300164-Sml.jpg

Last edited:

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I think they will be.
IIRC, one of the Youtube guys that I watch once in a while was at the unveiling and I believe that the car had both on it. That's what I would buy as well. I want both.

68fastback

Need DOHC Alloy Big Block
Established Member
What do the headers have to do with firing order? Generally curious, as I’ve never heard of that being a variable
The GT350 FPC factory headers are a cascaded design: they are neither equal length nor are they 4-into-1. On both sides they are 2-into-1 then 3-into-1 @ the collector, so the firing order is key because the 2-into-1 long runner intercepts the additional cylinder such that, when joined at the collector by the other two dedicated pipes, all pulses (one tube carrying two cylinders 'timed' around the other two dedicated pipes) are properly spaced for effective scavenging. That exact configuration cannot be transferred to a CPC engine. However I would expect that Ford will do a similar design for the GT500 but with the long runner of the 2-into-1 picking up a different cylinder . They could do a 4-into-1 but there likely is not enough space for 4 dedicated pipes to the collector (why they didn't do it on the GT350). Alternatively, they could do an old-school 'plenum' design which would be far less efficient, so a 4-into-1 would probably mean equal length which would be too problematic space-wise. So, given all constraints, a GT350-like cascaded (2>1 + 3>1) design, but re-optimized for CPC, makes the most sense, imho.

Last edited:

Established Member
You would think with the firing order change the manifolds would necessarily be different.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
You would think with the firing order change the manifolds would necessarily be different.
In a perfect world yes, but not when bean counters are involved. This is one of the areas where quality aftermarket options are worth the effort. A great flowing engine deserves an appropriate exhaust, free from OEM and EPA restrictions, at least IMO :)
-J

68fastback

Need DOHC Alloy Big Block
Established Member
So far Ford has shown the GT500 engine using the exact same manifolds as the GT350 uses.

GT350 top/GT500 bottom in both photos...

View attachment 1558166

View attachment 1558167

Funny thing is the firing order can be different and the same headers WILL be optimized IF the CPC firing order permits a compatible sequencing, even though different than FPC. I had not considered that initially but apparently that is the case. In fact, I came here to post that up after viewing a video showing the GT500 headers and had to chuckle when I saw Tob had beaten me to it.

Makes me wonder if when Ford did the FPC voodoo they picked a firing order (more than one is possible) that would permit the headers to also work with a CPC (which can also have more than one firing order). If so, that's simply brilliant planning!

Users who are viewing this thread