Anyone else frustrated with Ford over the next GT500?

csc427

Established Member
The car is the highest horsepower car Ford has ever produced, is the fastest Mustang ever produced (in a straight line and on a road course - by far), and has a gigantic ****ing blower sitting on a high-rpm V8.
Settle down.
if this is true, what difference does it make if it’s 2800 or 4800lbs? Sounds way more than amazing whatever the weight is.

blk02edge

Established Member
More weight means more stress and wear on parts, especially tires and brakes. And if somebody wants to throw racing slicks on an unprepped chassis, stuff starts breaking really fast. Plus, we've heard it a trillion times how guys in Miatas are lapping guys in <insert more powerful yet much heavier car>. It's not [just] because the guy in the Miata is a super driver. Physics is as physics does.
What makes you think this car will start to break with slicks, fact of the matter is if you are serious about lapping that much, you dont buy a street car anyway. The ZL1 1LE's are doing just fine, so will this car for a weekend warrior. As someone who practically lives at a world class track, I never see slicks on production cars either. Aside from miatas, lotus, guys with serious track setups, not new factory cars

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
You guys must be running on an oval track. The Mustang GT PP2 is 10 seconds faster than the Charger Hellcat at VIR. And VIR rewards big power. Let's assume a standard GT350 runs the same as a PP2 GT. If your friends in Hellcats are beating you around a road course, that's either one super easy course or you're a really unseasoned/non-aggressive driver. (No offense intended.)

No offense taken. I am not a seasoned/experienced driver. But we were at Summit Point and at Dominion Raceway. He is regularly 3 or 4 seconds faster than me.

I can tell you this... if they ran the test at VIR with the stock 275 all-season tires on the Hellcat compared to the stock 305 (315?) Cup2's on the Mustang, I'm shocked it was withing 10 seconds. Stock for stock, my Shelby is 14 seconds faster on Dominion Raceway, compared to the Hellcat. The Challenger needs real tires... bad.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I love that logic when newbies come to the track and beat everyone till the first corner and have to exit with smoked brakes on lap 1. Haha
A track wasn’t the context I was talking about. I’m talking about street driving. The weight issue is an obvious problem in a track setting.
I don’t think this car is specifically meant for the track, as most buyers probably use them for what I use them for

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
A track wasn’t the context I was talking about. I’m talking about street driving. The weight issue is an obvious problem in a track setting.
I don’t think this car is specifically meant for the track, as most buyers probably use them for what I use them for
source.gif

blk02edge

Established Member
I know, My reply didn't really come out right, anyway, weight is not an issue like some certain magazine racers here like to cry about. Those tiny track cars they quote use tiny brakes and tiny tires. My miata has a 9'' rotor up front... The brakes and tires Ford will be using on this 500 and previously, the 350 and the setups on the Z1le's, GTR's..etc make up for the heft and have the hp to push areo. They work just fine, heat soak does seem to play a role but that's because of boost.

Anyone complaining about weight and comparing them to full bred race cars has zero real world clue.

blk02edge

Established Member
Can you elaborate?
sure, lots of blower cars heat soak during hot day sessions more so than NA cars, whats more to elaborate on? the vipers, GT3 porsches, NA vettes seem to be zero issue lapping all day. Really wish I'd see someone out there with a gt350... Austin....

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
...sure, lots of blower cars heat soak during hot day sessions more so than NA cars, whats more to elaborate on?

That's the exact opposite of how I took your statement that "heat soak does seem to play a role but that's because of boost." Boost brings the heat on fast. Heat soak from a FI engine at the track has been a major challenge for typical high powered American cars. So I was trying to get a better read on what you were implying. That's all.

blk02edge

Established Member
That's the exact opposite of how I took your statement that "heat soak does seem to play a role but that's because of boost." Boost brings the heat on fast. Heat soak from a FI engine at the track has been a major challenge for typical high powered American cars. So I was trying to get a better read on what you were implying. That's all.
Im not exactly a lyrical word smith lol. I see how that was misleading

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Do you limit yourself to one sentence and not read anything else or do you only choose to believe what exists in your own mind only, unwilling to grapple with the concept that there much to learn outside your own boundary of understanding?

F89392-AB-B225-4971-8351-E315-AAB37553.gif

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread