Anyone come from a GT500?

Drewsky65

Established Member
as the title says. Anybody in this section that owns a gt350 now previously owned a 500? Trade in or possibly own both? I️ currently have a 2013 gt500 that l love to death, but I have been teased by the avalanche grey R model that is making me consider possibly tradeing in my 500 for. Man the car is good looking! I have not driven it and or driven an r model before, so making a right decision is hard. Would this be a good move? I️ know there is a lack of power but the handing and track capabilities would surpass it. The real question is an enjoyment factor. What are your thoughts ??

Established Member
I went from a 11 GT500 conv. -> 13 boxster -> 14 GT500 Track pack -> 14 vette -> 15 boxster GTS -> 16 GT350 -> 17GT350R, all tracked at MSR and TWS, both GT350's also at COTA. The search is over, nothing but love for the "R"

most likely you would feel the same.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
I have owned the 2013 GT500 and the 2016 GT350 at the same time. Had them both for about a year. Sold the GT500 about 6 months ago.

The GT500 was an amazing car to drive. If it wasn't for the fact that someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse, I would still have it.

That said, the GT350 is my favorite car to drive out of all the ones I currently own, and it in the top 3 I have owned ever.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
I had a 2011 GT500 700 RWHP 669 Tq. Its actually the one in my avatar. I sold it and bought the 350. I have no regrets. Roxxy was a beast, and was fun at the track for sure. On the streets it was fun, but since I did not use DR's I could not drive her to full potential.

With Sasha I can drive her harder. The 350 is head and shoulders above my GT500 when it comes to pure driving. With my current mods my 350 moves out very well, and in truth I can do more because its easier to put her power to the floor. The tech, braking, suspension....again all checks the box over my GT500. Its just a great car over all.

As I have told my friends, I can always buy power....but the pure enjoyment of my GT350 makes me not look back at all. Plus 525 is nothing to sneeze at for the street...

Annnnnd I can always pull Ol Yella out if I need that straight line rush...350w in a 65 with a built C4 and 9inch rear= :)

oster910

Turboman
Established Member
i think it depends on whats fun for you, i had a lotus before and had a blast but simply in the dc/va/md area there is way too much traffic to justify a car like that, very rarely could i find the time during a regular day to enjoy the car how i want to, with that being said i would drive out at least twice a week and go ape shit on the back roads, far from any towns. My gt500 was a great road trip car. perhaps you can drive a gt350 for an extended period of time and get a better feel

Drewsky65

Established Member
i am looking for the enjoyment factor. thats the only reason i am even considering this honestly. again i LOVE my 13 gt500 and it would be very very hard to trade her in honestly. but sitting in that R model was amazing and that avalanche grey is pure beauty to me.

2nd note- Big brother is being revealed next month. so buying now could mean the price of the 350 dropping a ton and or me regretting waiting, not to mention the new 2018 Gt's are practically faster in a straight line with almost the same power. ( dont get me wrong a 350 is twice the car of the GT) I do not race my cars so honestly the power of the 350 is plenty for me and the SOUND !!!

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
Honestly, I cancelled my Demon order, I am selling my Hellcat and my GT350 because if the new GT500... if it is anything like the GT350, but quicker... I'm in.

jtfx6552

Established Member
I had both a 13 and 14 GT500. I like the GT350 better. I'm an ex drag racer too. The GT350 is just more fun. when i had the GT500, even on nice days I'd just take my truck. On a nice day now, I always take the GT350.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
I had both a 13 and 14 GT500. I like the GT350 better. I'm an ex drag racer too. The GT350 is just more fun. when i had the GT500, even on nice days I'd just take my truck. On a nice day now, I always take the GT350.

I still have that problem. On a nice day... wtf do I drive??? Usually the Jeep. Doors and top off are awesome. It's got to be too hot and I want the AC before I drive the HC or GT350.

In my defense, its a pretty bad ass Jeep. :)

s1ten

Established Member
Not a 500 but, I have a 01 Twin Turbo Saleen. T56 magnum, Max Motorsports K member, full sub connectors, Fuel system, Built motor, ect. ect. Makes 747whp race tune, 641whp pump gas. I tried to make a high horsepower car that I could turn the power down and let it handle or make some suspension adjustments, tire change turn the boost up and go. It works good but, not amazing. I drove a 350R and I've never experienced a car the was that good for the money even at stupid high ADM's and my Saleen will never come close no matter how much more money I threw at it. Decided to buy my R and love it! Saleen I going up for sale this spring.

termoil78

Established Member
I traded a mildly modded ‘12 for my ‘17 350. Hard to compare the two. Miss the insane torque, but not the constant wheel spin.....tough to get used to a high revving Mustang as well. But no regrets, we see how they hold value if the new 500 releases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I had one of each.

And because I like photography...

Untitledo.jpg~original

IMG_4867-Edit.jpg~original

Both were unique. Both were badass. I'm eager to do it again with the next one.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

2nd note- Big brother is being revealed next month. so buying now could mean the price of the 350 dropping a ton and or me regretting waiting, not to mention the new 2018 Gt's are practically faster in a straight line with almost the same power. ( dont get me wrong a 350 is twice the car of the GT) I do not race my cars so honestly the power of the 350 is plenty for me and the SOUND !!!

If the spy shots are anything to go on, the next GT500 isn't going to handle as well as the GT350R. It's going to be sitting on 20" wheels and won't have the aero. It'll be like a regular GT350 with a blower added. It's probably going to be stupid fast in a straight line, but the handling is "only" going to be on par with the standard GT350. Which is nothing to sneeze at, but I was hoping for more. Also, from the looks of it, it's only going to have 4-piston front brakes versus the GT350's 6-piston. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, though.

Honestly, I cancelled my Demon order, I am selling my Hellcat and my GT350 because if the new GT500... if it is anything like the GT350, but quicker... I'm in.

Don't you have an R? You might come to regret that decision. See my comment above. It's not going to be as nimble as the R, sadly.

OP, I own both an '11 GT500 and a '17 GT350R at the same time. I've had my GT500 for over 7 years, and couldn't see myself parting with it for my R. Hence, I simply added the R to my collection instead of trading. However, if my GT500 had been stock, I probably would have traded it in a heartbeat. As it sits right now, if someone came to me and said, "Hey, GT Premi! You just won a free track weekend," I'd have a hard time deciding which one to take. It's going to take something at least nearly as fast as my modded GT500 with some serious handling capabilities to get me to trade. I am considering a ZL1 1LE, though.

People keep harping on the low torque figure on the GT350, but they fail to realize that stock-for-stock, it's as fast as, or faster than, the '11/'12 GT500 in the quarter mile, thanks to the GT500's limited traction. In a roll race, though, the GT350 would probably lose every time. Nobody ever complained about the '11/'12 GT500 being lame to drive around town.

Speaking of speed, I wouldn't worry too much about the revised '18 GT being faster. That's just the automatic ones. The GT350 is still quicker than a manual equipped GT. If you're proficient at banging your own gears, I wouldn't even give the A10 equipped ones any concern.

Back to your original question; you have to look at the "special-ness" of each. The R was produced in very limited numbers and is basically the holy grail of Mustangs. A lot of people seem to consider the '13/'14 GT500 the best thing since breathable air.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
Don't you have an R? You might come to regret that decision. See my comment above. It's not going to be as nimble as the R, sadly.

I have a 2016 Tech, and I love it... but it pisses me off because it overheats 15-20 minutes into every lap session. Basically, I am going to sell it no matter what.

My tech car is a fantastic street car, but because I like to run laps, its getting replaced. The question is, if the new GT500 isn't going to do what I need/want, will I be able to find a 350R at a reasonable price?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I have a 2016 Tech, and I love it... but it pisses me off because it overheats 15-20 minutes into every lap session. Basically, I am going to sell it no matter what.

My tech car is a fantastic street car, but because I like to run laps, its getting replaced. The question is, if the new GT500 isn't going to do what I need/want, will I be able to find a 350R at a reasonable price?

If the GT500 handles less capably than the GT350R, no, you still won't find one at a reasonable price. Dealers are just going to pull the track-car-versus-boulevard-bruiser card to keep the ADMs on the R. Not to mention the small production numbers (and being numbered.) The new GT500s are unlikely to be numbered.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
If the spy shots are anything to go on, the next GT500 isn't going to handle as well as the GT350R. It's going to be sitting on 20" wheels and won't have the aero. It'll be like a regular GT350 with a blower added. It's probably going to be stupid fast in a straight line, but the handling is "only" going to be on par with the standard GT350. Which is nothing to sneeze at, but I was hoping for more. Also, from the looks of it, it's only going to have 4-piston front brakes versus the GT350's 6-piston. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, though.

The GT500 calipers will be six piston. And while a 20" wheel may limit tire choice at the outset I'm confident that Ford will have little problem making them proficient from a performance vehicle dynamics perspective.

As to your view on how it will handle I think it reasonable to withhold assessment until the cat is out of the bag and on the track. Ford is likely to carry the GT350-specific aluminum knuckle forward with an even better brake package. Second generation Magnaride (or third) will likely come and be able to react even better than the system on the GT350/R.

I think many make the assumption that weight is going to be a problem on the upcoming GT500, in most cases, simply due to the addition of a supercharger and it's associated additional cooling hardware. Based on what I've heard about Ford testing with composites at a few key locations I'm confident you'll be surprised at how weight gets managed. The platform will also be the stiffest to date.

Users who are viewing this thread