• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Anyone Cable Cutters using YoutubeTV?

Discussion in 'Road Side Pub' started by GodStang, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Sinister04L

Sinister04L RIP Kane Established Member

I've been thinking about cutting the cord (currently with DirecTV) but I won't do without Astros and Rockets coverage which is on AT&T Sportsnet. The only streaming service that carries it is Fubo and it doesn't look that promising, plus they don't have ABC or ESPN.

2. Bearbo

Bearbo Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

Because of your specific viewing needs and lack of options there are not many solutions. You could combo Fubo with Hulu Live or Youtube TV but now you are spending $100 a month with many duplicates albeit with your important channels.

The cheapest way if you have fast/great internet is to go Kodi of the like. Sometimes it is a crapshoot but there a bazillion channels. Just need a VPN.

Good luck. I can still picture the Astros and those awful uniforms back in the day.

3. CobraBob

CobraBob Authorized Vendor Premium Member Established Member

To save 75-80% of our satellite bill every month, I was fine with a few channel compromises. As long as I get Live PD, I`m good to go. My wife doesn't watch much TV to begin with. But it`s a given that others can`t/won`t compromise.

Sent from my SM-T387V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

4. MassCobra

MassCobra All set Established Member

Getting all the sports channels is what has been holding me back too. I also have Directv.

5. BOOGIE MAN

BOOGIE MAN Logic and Reason Established Member

I would never ever ever stream any sports event on my computer, way too many issues. However, streaming sports from a jailbroken firestick, don't feel the same security threat.

I'm telling you guys...buy a firestick and jailbreak it (if you're not tech savvy and can't work a search engine, you can buy one already jailbroken).

It's not as instantaneous as picking a channel and hitting enter and it's not 4k resolution but I'd rather cover the cost of internet and some patience and be able to watch 99.9% of anything that I could possibly think of.

Sent from my SM-N975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Bearbo and MassCobra like this.
  6. Bearbo

Bearbo Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

What Boogie Man says. As I said earlier and I not a shill or paid spokesperson but look at TROYPOINT.com as he has plenty of how to videos. There are plenty of others but he seems more concise and put together.

7. CobraBob

I’m leaning in that direction but for now, it’s sparse regular TV viewing (mostly Live PD) and Amazon Prime Video.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

8. Coiled03

Coiled03 Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

So, a firestick is different than fireTV, right? And you can only "jailbreak" the firestick? Isn't it basically the same thing as a Chromecast?

Also, does it stream at least 1080p? That's my biggest issue with most of these streaming services. Their picture quality is trash, usually. I don't need 4K, but I want 1080p at minimum.

9. Stanley

Stanley Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

A fireTV box is the same as a firestick except it is faster due to better insides (what I've been told). I think people are putting Kodi or something similar on them and calling them "jailbroken". If that is the case you can put the Kodi app on either one.

The Chromecast cast content from a device to your TV. With the fireTV box and firestick you load apps on it to play content.

I have a fireTV box on one of my TV's and use it for Netflix, PlaystationVue, YouTube, Amazon Prime etc.

There are 4k versions of the fireTV box/firestick.

BOOGIE MAN, Bearbo and Coiled03 like this.
  10. CobraBob

4K content is still slim, so if you bought a 4K stick (I have Apple TV), don’t expect to stream much 4K. Still nice to have for future.

Hulu users, have you noticed that they are updating and improving the interface and app more frequently. I’m loving it more and more.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

BOOGIE MAN and Bearbo like this.
  11. Blown 89

Blown 89 Well-Known Member Established Member

Most phones record 4k now so if you stream homemade video that's one use a lot of people don't think about

12. BOOGIE MAN

They (streaming services) can call it 4k because the signal starts as 4k but there's no way it's actually 4k by the time it gets to you.

Last I checked, there are only 3 channels that actually broadcast and transmit full 4k and it gets to your house through fiber and then cable in your home.

13. coposrv

coposrv Well-Known Member Established Member

We’re trying it now and I hate it for the one fact I can’t watch a local sports radio simulcast. Other than that it’s ok. My wife is into Netflix and stuff that’s recordable. I don’t watch tv series.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

14. SID297

SID297 OWNER/ADMIN Staff Member Administrator

15. BOOGIE MAN

16. SID297

SID297 OWNER/ADMIN Staff Member Administrator

They do have some NFL games. I'd like to see them add regular cable channels too.

BOOGIE MAN likes this.
  17. Blown 89

Blown 89 Well-Known Member Established Member

Piracy subreddits....check them out for a solution. I just streamed the ASU game this evening.

BOOGIE MAN and Stanley like this.
  18. Stanley

Stanley Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

This is why I don't pay for the NFL Sunday ticket.

BOOGIE MAN likes this.
  19. IronSnake

IronSnake Permanently apathetic Established Member

Basic file compression at work.

When I have to be mindful of my bandwidth being 1TB a month, I'm going to be mindful of what I stream. I'll take a compressed 4K movie over a native 4k behemoth file. And before people say "you never use that much data period", you do when streaming anything and everything. I've banged into the limit a few months out of the year usually.

20. 2KBlackGT

2KBlackGT The Man, Myth, The Legend Established Member

Some of you have a weird definition of cutting the cord lol.

I only have internet service and I guess you can say I pay for a streaming service since I'm a Amazon Prime member. But that's all I pay for and don't miss any movie/show or game I want to watch.

Blown 89 likes this.