Anyone Bought/Sold on BringATrailer?

Jefe

Established Member
Anyone bought/sold a vehicle on BringATrailer? It sounds like BaT puts you in touch with the winning bidder and you work out the transaction yourselves. The buyer gets charged a 5% fee on the sale price as soon as bidding ends but is that the only guarantee the seller has its a real offer? They claim a deal falling apart is extremely rare and they will ban the bidder if the deal isn't finalized but whats to prevent the bidder from offering less?

I can list my Bronco for $100 with or without a reserve. $349 if I want them to come out and take photos. Some of these latest Bronco auctions have been wild and its making me want to test the waters:

No Reserve: 347-Powered 1973 Ford Bronco

Modified 1973 Ford Bronco

1976 Ford Bronco

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Ive bid on several and been 1st looser twice. I was high bidder on another, but did not meet the reserve. We closed the deal outside of BaT.

Do keep in mind they "curate" the offerings, they might not accept the vehicle. 2nd, get going now, as if you want it listed in the spring, might take that long. I have spoken to friends that have sold (I have not), and they said takes a couple months from the start of the process, to when it actually gets listed.

No arguing the platform, they have brought some excellent results, for sellers, for sure.

10splaya22

Established Member
I sold a Nissan GTR on there a couple years ago.

Cost $100 to list and then about another month to write the listing, get all the correct pics listed, go through a couple revisions then finally listed. Put a reserve on the car but from what I remember it went for about 30% over the reserve and had a bunch of interest.

The buyer gets the 5% buyer fee charged to their credit card and then put into contact with the seller to work out the details. In my case the buyer was in a different state and wanted a couple videos before having the car shipped (arranged by the buyer). After the check cleared, the car was shipped and delivered to the buyer. Pretty easy process overall.

gofast15

Established Member
I bought 2 cars from BAT , 0 issues. Got in touch with the seller, paid him cash , got the car and title

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Brother in law sold an original 26k mile Fj40 on there and said it was easy as could be.

Someone showed up with a truck and trailer and drove off with it.

Jefe

Established Member
Ive bid on several and been 1st looser twice. I was high bidder on another, but did not meet the reserve. We closed the deal outside of BaT.
They said they would put me in touch with the highest bidder if the reserve wasn't met so good to hear that's true. How close were you to the reserve? Can't believe BaT is fine with missing out on that 5%
Do keep in mind they "curate" the offerings, they might not accept the vehicle. 2nd, get going now, as if you want it listed in the spring, might take that long. I have spoken to friends that have sold (I have not), and they said takes a couple months from the start of the process, to when it actually gets listed.
I do not like how they write their descriptions and Im going to be a real pain in the ass on that haha.

Yeah it sounds like it takes at least 3-4 weeks for a listing to go live. I have a few things I want to do to the Bronco still and then I will make the decision on submitting it. Right now Im 70/30 on selling it and it would be next to impossible to replace it for what I have into it.

Take a look at the build thread in my signature in the original post if you have some time, its a long one! Feel free to make any recommendations on what would add value to a BaT bidder.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
I dont know where the reserve was. The seller wound up being a friend of a friend, so we settled, outside of BaT.

Ive actually heard recently it's like 8 weeks for a listing to go live.

Ive got 2, a 66 roadster, and a 69 luber, so Ive got the Bronco itch satisfied.

As for adding value to a bidder? LOTS, 100+ pictures shot with a DSLR. Also point out the flaws, makes the buyer feel the car is being represented honestly. Its funny, these days, after spending so much time on BaT, now looking at a CL or ebay ad, with 10-20 pictures, I think to myself, is this seller for real?

BaT has really changed the on line auction world (for the better)

Users who are viewing this thread